Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Old_Tech, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kcvet

kcvet Active Member

at Sony we always used tascam. for years. and no never had any problems, recalls or redo's related to it. its NLA now. im retired now so not sure what took its place. long as its made for rubber you should be ok.
    we NEVER used Isopropyl alcohol. it caused rubber to harden and crack.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. vga911s

vga911s Well-Known Member

^^^ I agree. I never touch my pinch rollers with IPA^^^. Interclean 711 or 721 or acteone for those always.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. jdurbin1

jdurbin1 Tandberg enthusiast Subscriber

Cool... glad you sorted that out. Will have to take a closer look at the capstan shafts on the handful of 3014's I have in queue, I would normally have used pure IPA on those otherwise.

John

4. kcvet

kcvet Active Member

usually the problem with dirty rollers/shafts/heads is from using the type 1 or normal which is brown and leaves a ton of residue behind. I've serviced a lot mechs really trashed out from using this type. after repair we always taped a note on top for the customer advising them to use chrome or metal. some listen some don't. I always used chrome. better freek response and NO residue

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. vga911s

I have owned this deck since it was a new display model ( 87) and have Im sure played just about every tape one can imagine in it. My problem has been that i was cleaning often but not using a strong enough cleaner which allowed buildup over the years inspite of freq cleaning. Live, ask questions and learn something everyday .:thmbsp:

6. krenzler

krenzler New Member

Hi guys. I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I've found a Sony TC-K970ES cassette deck (it was gonna be thrown out) and it seems to be working but it is rather noisy when hitting play (but without a tape inserted). I was wondering if the noise is because there is no tape inserted? I haven't got a tape at hand to check it out. Thanks.

7. vga911s

It may be time for a new belt kit for your deck along with a gen maint / cleaning / relube being preformed.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  8. krenzler

krenzler New Member

Thanks Victor.

I was hoping I could solve this without investing in repair kits but Cassette Decks are unknown territory to me.

I guess it's normal that the deck will only Rew & FF a second or 2 in each direction when no tape is inserted?

As mentioned it's a sort of rattling noise during play - sounds like a motor or some gears or something but I'm a newb as mentioned.

I've started dismantling the machine but can't quite figure out how to completely get the drive mechanism out from its bay. I've taken a few pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do I need to somehow remove the black metal strip at the top/front?

I started trying to remove the grey plastic front fascia but realised that probably wasn't a good idea.

Any input welcome. :)

9. vga911s

go online to HI FI engine and see if they have a service man for this unit. good luck with this repair.

10. AntonioJV

AntonioJV Member

use allcool isopropyl

+1 (me too), alcool isopropyl :tresbon: for years and NO problems!!

11. lorne

lorne Sonic Lizard

DELETE — I did not see how old this thread was until alter — sorry!:ntwrthy:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

12. lorne

lorne Sonic Lizard

Interesting!

I bought one of these kits about 18 years ago here in Japan (see attached). There is still quite a bit left in the roller bootle, but the head cleaner is getting down cuz I've used it for other things, including audio stuff. I was wondering what I'd do when my supply ran out. Then recently, while phono cartridge shopping at the giant electronics/electrical chain store, Yodobashi Camera ... I found exactly the same kit. I was astonished. I grabbed it for about $1.50 less than the original price marked on the box.

It's made in Japan and has what appears to be an affixed batch number. Manufactured, or perhaps more likely supplied by Audio Technica — #AT6037. No.1 bottle is head cleaner (red solution); No.2 bottle is for pinch rollers (green solution). I've had five tape machines during these years — with problems, but dirty rollers (and heads) have never been an issue. You can see the crud come off the rollers — just swipe with Q-tips until there is no 'show' on the tip. If done on a once-in-awhile basis, cleaning is an absolute cinch taking only a swipe or two.

I bought this kit thinking that it may not be very long before it disappears off the shelves forever.:scratch2:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. lorne

lorne Sonic Lizard

Keesue: I have done some work in professional studios here in Japan as a narrator, but I have never, ever seen anything like this!:tresbon:

14. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Lorne - no indications on the green bottle as to the contents?

kandetvara likes this.
  15. lorne

lorne Sonic Lizard

I can read the Katakana which says the obvious and is in English anyway — "Pinch Roller cleaning blah blah keep out of the reach of children." The rest is in fine print kanji and I can't read it. I think that if it were anything about chemicals it would have a lot of Katakana. I suspect it is just directions on how to use it, which could have some hints after all. I'll see if I can get somebody to look at it, and if it's technical, I know a scientist I can ask.

16. Refugee

Refugee Hurricane Refugee

Been using 409 for years. It doesn't seem to dry the rollers and it is safe on plastics.

17. BurnBabyBurn

BurnBabyBurn Active Member

Use Intraclean S-721H to clean the capstan shaft, the record/playback heads and the pinch roller(s). Intraclean doesn't dry out the rubber in the pinch roller and does a great job of remove tape oxide and binder that holds the magnetic particles to the tape.

It's what they used in broadcast for radio for years.

18. lorne

lorne Sonic Lizard

After reading your post, I went into the archive and found an old thread that featured the same chemical you mention. Then I did a bit more surfing around and added some things I had found out to that dinosaur thread.

Here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=158954

Interesting stuff. I want some of this chemical, but I doubt if I will find it in Japan. Moreover, I doubt that I can have such a chemical/fluid shipped from overseas here to Japan.

Cheers — Lorne

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. Joe Smith Jr

Joe Smith Jr Member

If you think isopropyl is to harsh for cleaning rollers and belts you'd better rethink using acetone
    That's probably the worst think you could use for regularly cleaning anything made of rubber short of motor oil (pun intended but sentiment not)

And yes, I am aware I am responding to a 3 year old post, it's the message I'm concerned about for future readers considering using it)

20. parcs

parcs Active Member

I use Everclear (200 proof ethanol) If it is available in your states liquor stores. It evaporates completely leaving no film of any kind. 45 Years ago when I worked in a computer mainframe room we used it to clean computer tape drives.