Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Old_Tech, Feb 13, 2009.

1. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Not challenging your use of cleaning fluid, but 200 proof alcohol of any kind is a limit to be approached, but not economically achievable. Alcohol is too hydrophilic. Everclear is 190 proof where it may be sold at that concentration.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

+1 on the S-721H. We have 12 Studer A807 player in use for archiving. We don't use alcohol because we're concerned the operators will use it on the heads which can cause the adhesive to deteriorate. The stuff is expensive @ $60/qt, but it's all we use.

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Something I learned from an HP LaserJet tech is to use unscented dye free Dawn detergent to re-vitalize rubber. Apply liberally, let it soak in for a while and wipe of. It cleans and softens rubber. He used it on Laserjets for business and commercial use.

4. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

An HP printer tech clued me in to what he uses to clean and re-vitalize the rubber feed rollers on commercial printers. It's fragrance and dye free Dawn detergent. Apply liberally and let sit for a few minutes before wiping off. I've tried it and it works quite well.

5. Mark_71

Mark_71 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I used to use alcohol, but I do worry about that damaging the rubber, cause I know it can. Once I managed to screw up a Technics RS-B100 pinch roller w/ alcohol. It caused slipping. Then I tried some MG rubber renewer and that seemed to make things worse. Eventually used a Caig RBR, another rubber renewer, and with just two light applications - voila, worked like a charm. That's the only one I use now if I have a problem rubber part. Before that I just use some luke-warm water and a q-tip to remove dirt - seems harmless enough.

6. vga911s

vga911s Well-Known Member

This has been covered pretty well so I will just add that using Naptha( old school wick lighter fluid) will bring old harden glazed, dirty rubber, back to life, removing the layer of dirt and hardened rubber. extending the time you have in between replacement .
    A word of caution; You will remove rubber using this chemical so be aware that the outside dia of the roller pinch roller will be decreased over time.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

7. danj

danj modern primitive

I still have about 1/3 of a bottle of TEAC rubber cleaner/conditioner that I purchased in 1974. I use it sparingly when alcohol doesn't do it, knowing the TEAC stuff always will. It's main problem is its smell, which is AWFUL and should only be used with adequate ventilation. My bottle is so old that the original deep pink of the fluid is now almost brown (too much sun?)

8. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I also use the Teac cleaner/conditioner that came in the Teac kit. I bought the kit at least 25 years ago. Works well and it states that it doesn't contain alcohol. I don't notice a bad smell at all with it but another bottle I had did and I tossed it out 5 or so years back.

Rubber cleaner.jpg