Cleaning up the teak cabs on a set of Rogers Studio 1A

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by Speedbump71, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Speedbump71

Speedbump71 Buried in speakers Subscriber

Should I just use some teak oil after scuffing back the surface scratches a bit? The veneer seems pretty thin on these.

Looking for tips. The cabs are not bad, but were basement stored for a bit, and were scuffed around a little bit/had things on top of them. Water stain on top of one cabinet.

IMG_9960.JPG

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DOBIEGUY

DOBIEGUY AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice speakers! I did a light clean up on a pair of teak KEF 102s and teak Sequerra Met-7s. Both had very minor scratches. I used 320 grit paper on a wood block. Go nice and easy, paying attention to the edges and corners.
    A few coats of Watco teak oil and the finish looks great.
    Good luck and happy listening.

Speedbump71 likes this.
  3. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Oxalic acid will remove/lighten water marks--the active ingredient in BarKeepers Friend cleanser and various other "soft scrub" products like glass rangetop cleaners.

I wouldn't sand, especially due to the thin veneer. Grab some acetone or lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad and some clean rags to get dirt and dried oil out of the finish and re-oil with teak oil.

Speedbump71 likes this.
  4. simplynuts

simplynuts Active Member

Can you tell me the model number of the celestion tweetere in there and where I can find a replacement or substitute? Have one blown tweeter. Thank you.