CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by onwardjames, Dec 31, 2014.

?

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

1. Yes

129 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No

424 vote(s)
    76.7%
  1. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

duplicate post.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

I'm surprised how few people have tried the glue method. Even as a test. Yet so many have strong opinions... hmmmmmmmm

beat_truck and onwardjames like this.
  4. ferninando

ferninando super tek Subscriber

I like the Vac-O-Rec followed by the Watts dice Preener for all my vinyl cleaning needs.

5. hi*ball

hi*ball Records & Coffee Subscriber

Hey Joe, you can probably remove the Dawn from this and get the same results (as far as I know).
    The Dawn is acting as a surfactant, but the Photo-Flo is already doing this for you.

6. Smokin amps

Smokin amps AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am in the process of cleaning my entire album library with great success except for one issue. I have several cardboard album covers that the glue joints have failed on. It appears that originally a hot glue process was used during manufacture. I've tried glue sticks without success. Anyone have a suggestion for a quick drying glue that won't be too difficult to apply? Thanks.

7. MannyE

I was wondering the same thing. I always have a lot of glue left over from those Simply Speakers refoam kits that I think may do a good job.

8. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

If I am correct, that glue is simply aleenes tacky glue, and will work fantastically. There is a youtube vid showing how you can use small strips of construction paper to perfectly glue those covers back together, no tape, and it looks great.

9. Smokin amps

Smokin amps AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks onwardjames for your glue suggestion. I just picked up the Aleene's Tacky Glue and it works great. Audiokarma is such an awesome site.

onwardjames likes this.
  10. onwardjames

Give and take. Give a little, take a little. That's AK. Glad to help.

Old Guy8 likes this.
  11. stereoguy70

stereoguy70 Active Member

I use an RCA Discwasher on the really dirty ones, but mainly use a Watts Parostatik Stick for light dusting and anti-stat treatment and the Watts Disc Preener for light touchups. I also use a Watts DustBug when the disc is playing. This is something I learned years ago from my dad who also used these products. Always worked then, still seems to work now.

Trekmaster likes this.
  12. onwardjames

Why have I never heard of these products? (Watts Disc Preener/Watts Dustbug)

Thanks for sharing.

13. stereoguy70

stereoguy70 Active Member

They are rather common over in the UK where they were made. Garrard used to recommend using them. They were imported here, so they can be found on ebay once in a while.I think they work better than the Discwasher, but that's just me......maybe.....lol!

14. Killer Fox

Killer Fox AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just bought a 2nd Spin Clean so I can run through both. Should I just use distilled water in the 2nd one and do a rinse or double wash? I also have a vac wand thing. Should I vac in between or after the 2nd spin? What would you do?

15. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

So far been very happy with using Tergikleen (https://www.amazon.com/Professional...TF8&qid=1490138702&sr=8-1&keywords=tergikleen) - a few drops into a gallon of distilled water and you're good to go. Been using it on a Canfab spinner/vacuum wand.

Someone who posted waaaay back ago mentioned also they got rid of price tags on record covers. I found the best way is using a hair dryer. Make sure the vinyl is out of the cover, blast hot air out of hair dryer onto the sticker and voila - usually peels right off. This really helps when selling records and not wanting the buyer to see what you paid for it ages ago.

16. onwardjames

That's big guns right there. Would you say you hear an audible difference with using that ClearAudio vs other methods??

I scrub, vac, rinse, vac again. Rinsing is the real important part, in my opinion.

Until someone mentioned the hairdryer, I was destroying covers left and right. Works splendidly.

17. MannyE

When nothing else works, I found that isopropyl alcohol makes quick work of sharpie and many other markers without harming the cardboard cover. I've never even seen the sheen affected. But I only use it when nothing else will work.

onwardjames likes this.
  18. 1970's Fan

1970's Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I haven't used my okki nokki since before Christmas when I moved it to make room for the tree. I bought Frank Sinatra's "A Swinging Affair" the other day and as usual, I put it on the turntable right out of the sleeve to listen for any bumps and clicks. Not a sausage! Not even a single click! This is the quietest record I've ever owned. It wasnt totally clean. It has a mark that I was sure would bump. It was also marked with what looked to me like a shoe print. I gave it one wipe with the velvet duster and evey bit of it was click free. All the silent bits were silent and softer bits were click free too. I'm going to stick it on a cassette tape because the Sony TC199SD cassette deck gives it a warmer sound.

19. merlynski

merlynski AK Subscriber Subscriber

I haven't spun any vinyl for many years, though I could never part with any of my LPs or my TT. I do repair books occasionally and have an adhesive specifically made for repair of fine books. It is called Bind-Art (product # 40-415-002) and it is an acid free nontoxic polyvinyl acetate liquid adhesive. Says on the bottle it is "Chemically Stable at a 7.9 pH" (neutral). It dries transparent and remains flexible. Might work good for those who use the glue method but are concerned that other glues are acidic.

Condorsat and onwardjames like this.
  20. onwardjames

THANK YOU!
    Guess who is off to Amazon very soon??

21. Scifi

Scifi Super Member