CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 231 19.9%
  • No

Votes: 927 80.1%

• Total voters
So, I have read and read and read. Including the Your Doing it Wrong thread....I went out and purchased the correct "stuff" and made a solution. I used to use Dawn or whatever and tapwater and regular alcohol and even some more aggressive cleaners. Some albums sounded worse, some better and it didn't seem to matter how I cleaned them. I fussed about the TT ground, I played with the connections on the cart and the RCA connectors. I also use an old Discwasher I bought back in 81, But I just dampen it a bit to collect dust....I have been picking up albums at a place called Mckays that takes in old books and etc. and has an extensive array of albums, Cd's and cassettes. I stayed with just washing them with the "solution" and spinning them with a painters pad...Hit or miss and you could not judge them by eye. Now, I bought a turntable weight and plopped it on, major difference in sound, including the static pops. Yes, I got a protractor and set up the alignment, even though no one can tell you which one works with an old Pioneer. Another improvement after getting a Jico 750 stylus for my XV-15 was increasing the tracking force....small improvements making it sound much better. This is where the monkey wrench gets thrown in. I have some albums that just crackle, one of them is The Scorpions Love at First Sting. I bought that album in the early 80's and it has been played maybe 5 times and spent many years in a box. I was going to take it to the used place and ditch it but tonight I put it on my pad and wiped it with a paper towel....and BBQ lighter fluid......yikes. Just wiped it around a few time and let it soak in.....Then I sprayed it with the "solution" and wiped it around with a clean paper towel, if there is such a thing. Rinsed it in tapwater and then sprayed it again with the "solution" and brushed it well with my paint pad....then rinsed in warm water from the tap....my tap water sucks...I dryed it well, let it spin for a few minutes on the TT and set the stylus on the beginning of Coming Home, which is very quite at the start. Nothing.....I reached over and turned the volume up......one little click.....then the song started.....This song was unbearable and the album so bad I would not even record it and use the click reducer in my Vinyl Studios program. It is the most dramatic change in any album I have cleaned.
On a side note, I passed on buying the Sota on ebay last night, I had the winning bid typed into esnipe and didnt pull the trigger. I will work with what I have for now, and ponder this cleaning thing like many others are.

So heres the thing about vinyl records from the point of view of a guy that's been using them off and on for like 40 years. There are alot of factors that go into making a vinyl record sound good. No need to go into it all here. It sounds like you have done you homework and that really good. Here are a few factors to consider. First, the quality of the vinyl itself plays a big role. Before I buy an certain album I do some homework on it first. Check the pressing number on the lable and check the runout vinyl writings or stamping. In this way you learn alot about where and when the pressing was done. 1st pressings are done closest to the master recording and will sound best plus they most likely will use virgin vinyl, most of the time. Also look for remasters from the original master. It will be stated as such. Do research on the plants that makes the pressing. Some plants use used or repurposed vinyl. This can lead to a record that sound horrible even when new. An example of this is the resent redo's of the band Tool's stuff. Brand new pressings but sound like crap. You get the idea here. For me half the fun of this hobby is the research on a band and the pressing. Then finding the best pressing I can at a price I can afford. Even buying in Europe to get the one I want. I do sometimes run across albums before I can review them. If the price is right like a few bucks or free then I go for it and hope for the best.
But sometimes you do think you have a good copy and you buy
it, get it home and find that it's a dud. This can happen because it's been abused over the years and the vinyl itself is just worn out. Mishandled. Played on very cheap tables or what ever. Once this happens no amount of cleaning is going to fix it. Dirt is not the issue. Its vinyl damage and there not much to but either cleanit as best you can, play it as is and maybe look for another copy or not. It's up to you. Collectors like to own multiple copies of one album. I do. They say that vinyl records are still the best sound reproduction available today. Maybe. I think that's a personal choice. I agree as I grew up with them but others may like CD's better and that's Cool too. Collect what you like and enjoy the hobby. Sorry for the rant guys.

I dont disagree with any of that. But I just want to digitize music I enjoy and I am not an audiophile. I have tinnitus and am almost 60. But I have been accused of being clever and like to tinker. the experiment the other night was just that, a shot in the dark. But it salvaged an album I was going to discard.

I dont disagree with any of that. But I just want to digitize music I enjoy and I am not an audiophile. I have tinnitus and am almost 60. But I have been accused of being clever and like to tinker. the experiment the other night was just that, a shot in the dark. But it salvaged an album I was going to discard.
I’m with you, I don’t digitalize either. Although I will offer one thing. If I were you I’d consider using microfiber rags instead of paper towels. Not saying your doing anything wrong I just feel like microfiber is more gentle on the media.

Cool. If you are looking to digitize your collection from vinyl there is another tool you can look into. There is software available that will eliminate the pops and clicks from a recording when you record it from a vinyl record to a digital format. So with this you can just a standard cleaning to save your needle and deal with the sound on a digital level. I myself have not used the software as I do not go this route but there are others that do. Do a search here at AK.
Good luck friend. We are about the same age and have the same issues it sounds like. So I get it.

I do use microfiber but not with the solvent....makes no sense if you are going to put solvent on to worry about......tiny scratches?

Thank you Wolfman181 and I do use software. VinylStudios and the click protection works but on really bad albums it removes music. I run them all thru it and adjust according to how the album sounded.

I do use microfiber but not with the solvent....makes no sense if you are going to put solvent on to worry about......tiny scratches?

Thank you Wolfman181 and I do use software. VinylStudios and the click protection works but on really bad albums it removes music. I run them all thru it and adjust according to how the album sounded.

That's great Kloot. Sounds like you have all the bases covered and you are doing all you can. Have fun with it and ROCK ON!

Water (not too cold or hot), dishwashing liquid, and use my hand - works a treat on 2 dozen or so records I tried this on.

BBQ lighter fluid. Basically, napthalene, correct?? I have a couple Jose Feliciano albums that look mint, and have this constant popping. Worth a shot, glad you shared this last-ditch effort with us.

I’m with you, I don’t digitalize either. Although I will offer one thing. If I were you I’d consider using microfiber rags instead of paper towels. Not saying your doing anything wrong I just feel like microfiber is more gentle on the media.

My wife put permanent scratches on our Honda Fit by wiping off excess gasoline with a paper towel. Even after rubbing compound, the paint is ruined. Of course, Honda paint these days is shyte. So, I'd agree with the microfiber idea, above.

Cool. If you are looking to digitize your collection from vinyl there is another tool you can look into. There is software available that will eliminate the pops and clicks from a recording when you record it from a vinyl record to a digital format.

Having spent 12 years in radio using this software since its creation, it STILL leaves an audible hole, if you're really fussy. Always best to try and physically remove the dirt/grime/whatever. But yes, this software can greatly improve the process of removing enough noise to digitize. I've done probably 500 records using a combination of every cleaning method mentioned here, and digital software. Rare is the time when you actually hear a pop or click in my digital collection.

GOOD LUCK, and HAPPY CLEANING, EVERYONE!

I am honored to have the great Onward James respond to me.....Not sure what to say about paper towels but I have now cleaned up a second loser, a 1973 Dave Mason(paid .29 cents for it) that looked great, but had that hazy dirty patina. This time I wiped it down with BBQ fluid( I will look at the ingredients) then wiped on Ajax dishwasher liquid, straight, no water.....Then I flushed it off with hot tap water. Next was Greased Lightning, well rubbed in and allowed to set a minute, and flushed off with hot tap water. Then 2 scrubs with the "solution" and the microfiber paint pad, flushed off with hot tap water each time. And finally dried with a microfiber cloth. I recorded this album tonight, it is well within my limits for noise. Maybe if I had a $10,000 table and a $5,000 cart I could tell the difference, but not likely with my ears.
I would also note that after the first rinse I can see the fingerprints etc. on the album if I twist it just right in the light. By the time I finish, the album shines like a new penny. I think old fingerprints with body oils and salt in them are the main culprits on old albums and you need a solvent and hot water to remove them. Unless you have spare cash for ultrasonic cleaning and special brushes. I am not a chemist by any means, but they only have to play great once for me, at a buck or so an album......

Kevin

Hey folks, wanted to see if anyone had any cons of cleaning records with Tergikleen or other Tergitol solutions.

I own a record shop and we clean upwards of 80 to 100 records a week, and for the last few months we have been using Tergikleen, and in much higher concentration than the instructions on the bottle called for. We got the bottle along with a collection of records and equipment, and it seemed a cheap and effective way to clean records. I think the bottle said to use like 2-10 drops per gallon and we have been using approximately a "healthy squirt" of solution. I brush it on using a paint edger pad and my Pro-Ject VCS RCM. One-step. No rinse.

I was doing some research as I prepared to order some more, and folks were saying that the solution leaves a tricky residue when used at higher concentration.... I have not had any issues and have achieved clean quiet, even silent playback on records that were cleaned this way. Can someone explain what the worry is about or explain what effect this residue has? Should I stop cleaning records this way?

Since we clean so many records I can't really afford to pay 30-40 per 16oz bottle to get MoFi or Nitty Gritty, etc solutions. Hoping to continue using the Tergikleen if I can, but not if it's going to cause issues down the road.
I use Tergikleen with my ultrasonic cleaner + cleanervinyl attachment. But, I just use a drop in the tank. And even then I rinse thoroughly with distilled water on a VPI HW-17 record cleaning machine. For already fairly clean records I find the rinsing is even more important than the cleaning.
https://www.amazon.com/CleanerVinyl-Pro-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Expandable/dp/B077DWCSJ6

I am honored to have the great Onward James respond to me..... I am not a chemist by any means, but they only have to play great once for me, at a buck or so an album......

Kevin

LMAO, man, I'm just a dude who likes clean vinyl. So glad to hear your positive results, and I'll likely give your methods a try on something that is otherwise just sitting there. Your second line is me in a nutshell, most of my vinyl immediately gets archived. Occasionally, they'll make the "worth the effort to spin on the tt" pile, but most get archived.

After 25 pages of this thread, I still feel that there are a couple of solid ways to get where we want to be, and not being wealthy does not mean you cannot enjoy all the magic of vinyl.

Just today, an AK'er in NYC was GIVING AWAY a really nice Record Doctor cleaning machine. That's the deal of the year, right there!

Keep spinning that clean vinyl, everyone!!

Here what I have been starting to do and it seems to be working well on thoughts hard to work with albums with worn vinyl. I use Endust vinyl cleaning fluid. It's available online and not expensive at all. Works well for cleaning up the vinyl. Then use my Record Doctor to vacuum up and dry. This is a typical cleaning but then for the ones with alot of pops and clicks left instead of the WD way I use 3-1
Silicone. This product does not make your stylus into a dust magnet. When applied it will dry in about 3 to 5 minutes. I apply using a cloth. After it dries I give a quick wipe and on to the table. Nothing more to do after that. It will not remove ever little pop but I would say 75% to 90% are removed. It just depends on how far gone the vinyl is to start with. But for my taste it gets the job done very well.
15523100851978857496827644651972.jpg

Silicone??

Jesus wept......I wouldn't have ever considered that. I'll likely give it a try. For additional data and such, you see. :eek:

If I understand correctly, the silicone allows the stylus to smoothly glide over the damage??

:dunno:

I'm going to love it, if it works for that dang ol' Jose Feliciano I have that is minty, but still pops.

Yep, silicone. I do have a couple of albums where even this has not worked. The vinyl itself was just to far damaged. It removed some but the album still had to many pops and clicks to listen too. Make sure to give enough time to dry. Also, depending on how clean you get it you may get some residual dust that will come out the first time you play the album. This is a good thing. It will not stick to your stylus but depending on how much is left after you have cleaned it you may need to wipe it off your stylus and the album itself. Think of it as part of the cleaning process. Once you do this your set. But, if it got good and clean the first time this does not happen. Good luck with your test runs with this method. Let me know how this works for you guys. I am also thinking about adding a ultra-sonic cleaner with my Record Doctor for a better clean. But as stated, I have had good results so far. I have done quite a few and am happy with reduction in noise. ROCK ON!

I have been gathering old beat-up records for 10 years now, and thanks to this wonderful place, have been quite successful in resurrecting many of my mom and dad's old records, some forgotten gems in thrift shops, etc.

Since AK has become THE place for all questions audio, I thought this thread could be a gathering of the assorted and still relevant threads about cleaning records.

First, I'm encouraging everyone who reads this to contribute your experience. We have all walks of life here, and I think it will be a great resource to compartmentalize this amazing knowledge. Yeah, I'd like this to be a sticky if it takes off.

Please keep the discussion moving ahead, and civil.

I'm going to link the two threads I find to be some of the greatest sources of knowledge on cleaning records and filthy vinyl.

This legendary thread pretty much ended my love/hate affair with records. Now I fear no vinyl! It's the wood glue thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

This promising thread is from our resident expert on chemicals, Vince1.
Enzymes, not just for your gut any more!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8395516

also, any DIY type stuff is great. Please link any threads I miss.

Here's one I'm still sorta on the fence about. The results are great, but I fear the long-term issues. Scrubbing Bubbles as a cleaning method?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=349539

Again, please comment, add what you've learned, and let us build this thread into a provable resource to save the vinyl. :thmbsp:
I have been gathering old beat-up records for 10 years now, and thanks to this wonderful place, have been quite successful in resurrecting many of my mom and dad's old records, some forgotten gems in thrift shops, etc.

Since AK has become THE place for all questions audio, I thought this thread could be a gathering of the assorted and still relevant threads about cleaning records.

First, I'm encouraging everyone who reads this to contribute your experience. We have all walks of life here, and I think it will be a great resource to compartmentalize this amazing knowledge. Yeah, I'd like this to be a sticky if it takes off.

Please keep the discussion moving ahead, and civil.

I'm going to link the two threads I find to be some of the greatest sources of knowledge on cleaning records and filthy vinyl.

This legendary thread pretty much ended my love/hate affair with records. Now I fear no vinyl! It's the wood glue thread.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

This promising thread is from our resident expert on chemicals, Vince1.
Enzymes, not just for your gut any more!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8395516

also, any DIY type stuff is great. Please link any threads I miss.

Here's one I'm still sorta on the fence about. The results are great, but I fear the long-term issues. Scrubbing Bubbles as a cleaning method?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=349539

Again, please comment, add what you've learned, and let us build this thread into a provable resource to save the vinyl. :thmbsp:

After watching many Youtube videos about record cleaning, and reading many posts on audio boards, I've come up with the ultimate, super-fast vinyl record cleaning system. And, it's free. Here it is:

1. Hold your record
2. Pull a good wad of phlem [spit] from deep in the back of your throat
3. Spit forcefully on the record
4. Wipe dry with your shirt sleeve
5. Done

After watching many Youtube videos about record cleaning, and reading many posts on audio boards, I've come up with the ultimate, super-fast vinyl record cleaning system. And, it's free. Here it is:

1. Hold your record
2. Pull a good wad of phlem [spit] from deep in the back of your throat
3. Spit forcefully on the record
4. Wipe dry with your shirt sleeve
5. Done

I'm guessing this is your input on cleaning, and was meant to be comical, but it doesn't add much. Everyone knows phlegm to have far too much lubricity for proper reproduction. You have to use the cryogenic-treated phlegm.

enjoy all the magic of vinyl.
Keep spinning that clean vinyl, everyone!!

I'll be posting in greater detail and in depth in a more dedicated analog vinyl forum [when I find one], but I wanted to offer a condensed observation on this point, since in many ways, it encapsulates the state of analog high end at the end of the second decade of the 21st century.

I happened to be around in the late 1970's, arguably the very height of the analog vinyl era, and, of course, just prior to the introduction of digital sound recording, leading to the compact disc.

Back then, vinyl was pretty much it. Sure, there were tape media, and in the 80's, cassettes took off, but really - records were it. And, here's the knife-twisting killer part that's incomprehensible to folks today - especially Millennials. There was no "magic". Nobody thought of records as magical. That included the lowest fidelity TV-radio console owners, right on up to the wealthiest, most advanced audiophile.

The general consensus was that records ---- stank. That's the word used back then. Today, in our far more crude times, that word would be sucked. Records sucked. Nothing magical, just various grades of suckiness.

Yes, there were super pressing that we admired. Most direct-to-disc recordings, especially those on the R&K Realtime label, were outstanding, and Harry Pearson's Absolute Sound were laying the groundwork for Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo Shaded Dog recordings. Were love those. But, even so, they were viewed as mere stepping stones to something even better, much greater that the future we confidently believed would bring.

And, that's the key. In 1979, everyone, whether they were the most dedicated, advanced audiophile, or ordinary slobs who could give a crap, looked to the bright, glistening, golden future that would bring some new manifestation of superior sound, and rid us of crappy analog vinyl records forever.

The average person owned records that had loads of noise and lots of distortion, since few salesmen knew how to properly align and setup turntables correctly. The most "record cleaning" the average person did was to wipe a moist Diskwasher brush across a record.

The current deification of something that used to be common, ordinary, and mediocre is a source of amazement to me.

Back
Top Bottom