CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 232 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 929 80.0%

• Total voters
I failed to mention that it was an album made in 1959 approximately. Could it be that the 'vinyl' was not actually vinyl but some other composite perhaps? Just a thought. Not that it makes a difference but it was Ronnie Hawkins very first album - first pressing - with a very young Levon Helm on drums. In mint condition it's worth about $100. Not my copy - even before the glue treatment. What I used to refer to as a welcome mat. Very dirty and abrasive marks when I bought it. Playable but noisy. Surprisingly doesn't skip. :) Still, for 50 cents, I couldn't pass it up. :)

I failed to mention that it was an album made in 1959 approximately. Could it be that the 'vinyl' was not actually vinyl but some other composite perhaps? Just a thought. Not that it makes a difference but it was Ronnie Hawkins very first album - first pressing - with a very young Levon Helm on drums. In mint condition it's worth about $100. Not my copy - even before the glue treatment. What I used to refer to as a welcome mat. Very dirty and abrasive marks when I bought it. Playable but noisy. Surprisingly doesn't skip. :) Still, for 50 cents, I couldn't pass it up. :)

Shellac albums and glue don't mix, but I don't think that's it. I glued a 1959 Sons of the Pioneers with great results.

Are you able to even get a fingernail under it??

Pics?

Did you try soaking in water up to the label?

I've yet to do anything with it. Pretty busy this weekend. Also just finished setting up stereo in living room (with a very successful "wife approval factor" I might add) :) I'll post pics of that as well as the album when time allows. I suppose I could kill two birds with the same stone if I soaked it in 'warm' water up to the label. It would help lossen the glue and keep me from using the hair dryer at the same time (God knows what further damage I could do if I set the hair dryer too high). :p Thanks btw for all your assistance - most appreciated. I probably should have sounded much more gracious when you first replied. :)

Last edited:
Pics of botched glue job...

The cover is just fine. I wish the vinyl matched the condition of the cover. :)
Side One looks nice in the pic, but it's layered with abrasive marks. Side Two is the heart of the problem.

Attachments

• RH Front Cover.JPG
    RH Front Cover.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 97
  • RH Back Cover.JPG
    RH Back Cover.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 83
  • RH Vinyl Side One.JPG
    RH Vinyl Side One.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 116
  • RH Vinyl Side Two.JPG
    RH Vinyl Side Two.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 147
These routines, with minor changes, have worked well for 40 years:

All used records I buy get washed in a sink, rinsed with distilled water then air dried. They seldom need a rewash.

All new records get cleaned with an Audio Technica brush and a homemade cleaning fluid, followed with a drying pass with a different AT brush. Works great to silence the static I usually hear on fresh records.

Before play most records get a once over with a good carbon fiber brush followed by a pass with an AT brush that's been misted with distilled demineralized water. I usually use a Watts Dust Bug when playing the record.

To quote Capt. Obvious, "Clean records sound better and last longer."

The cover is just fine. I wish the vinyl matched the condition of the cover. :)
Side One looks nice in the pic, but it's layered with abrasive marks. Side Two is the heart of the problem.

I'm so puzzled by this. Have you actually peeled some of the glue off? Hard to tell by the pics, but sorta looks like it.

If so, I'd re-glue with Titebond II and see if that will lift it off, but I'd soak in warm water first.

Wish I could lay hands on it, maybe we could salvage it. I know that there was one other episode like this with AK'er theophile, I think. Same issue, used a different type of glue.

DaVinci … sorry you had the problem. I"m sure that sucks! In support of onwardjames, I've used the Tightbond II with no problem whatsoever … it usually peels of in one entire piece (which can be kind of cool). They sell it at Home Depot (and many other places I'm sure).

I think I'm going to give those ideas a try. I'll go with the warm water soak first then if it doesn't go well (which I don't know why it wouldn't), I will try the 're-glue' with Tightbond II. onwardjames - the glue came of side one in pieces and it took forever to get every little bit - on side two only some came off, the parts remaining took fingernails to remove. So I didn't pursue that avenue for fear of putting a gouge in the record.

I think I'm going to give those ideas a try. I'll go with the warm water soak first then if it doesn't go well (which I don't know why it wouldn't), I will try the 're-glue' with Tightbond II. onwardjames - the glue came of side one in pieces and it took forever to get every little bit - on side two only some came off, the parts remaining took fingernails to remove. So I didn't pursue that avenue for fear of putting a gouge in the record.

Okay, since it is on there pretty good, here's a cheap idea - get a small tube of Aleene's tacky glue (hobby lobby, sewing dept or craft isle of walmart) and use that. VERY thick, and sticks like, well, glue. However, it WILL peel off. It is my secret weapon when Titebond II doesn't seem to get it.

The Aleene's is very very stretchy, and should lift the old glue up safely. Just spread it with a playing card or old credit card, let it FULLY dry, and hopefully it will take the old glue off with it.

Keep us informed!

The Ortofon Rohmann LOMC cart received it's first ultra sonic dry clean last night with a Japanese made Audio Technica AT-637 electronic stylus cleaner. The end results were excellent,very easy and safe to use too... highly recommended indeed. Although,it's a shame they no longer manufacture 'em!

006_zps299ed88b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Daunia, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen.

I have an ortofon cart that, despite repeated dunkings in magic eraser, and that japanese jelly thing (onzow) still has a layer of scum at the bottom of the stylus.

Wish I could score one of those.

onwardjames ….. I use an ortofon device similar to the one pictured by Daunia 70. A touch of last stylus cleaner on the pad and a good buzz seems to get about anything off of the stylus. I don't know if they sell these anymore, but it works really well. I'll PM you with an idea.

I received the Record Doctor V (that I ordered) a couple of days ago. Seems like a spin clean followed by a good vacuum works pretty well for most records. The tough ones will still need SB or glue. I guess if SB and/or Glue won't get it - they will be target practice.

I received the Record Doctor V (that I ordered) a couple of days ago. Seems like a spin clean followed by a good vacuum works pretty well for most records. The tough ones will still need SB or glue. I guess if SB and/or Glue won't get it - they will be target practice.

That's been my experience as well. Some simply defy explanation. I will say the SpinClean probably works on about 8 out of 10 records I get. Seems people in this region of the country were especially hard on their vinyl.

How do you like the Record Doctor V so far??

The Ortofon Rohmann LOMC cart received it's first ultra sonic dry clean last night with a Japanese made Audio Technica AT-637 electronic stylus cleaner. The end results were excellent,very easy and safe to use too... highly recommended indeed. Although,it's a shame they no longer manufacture 'em
YES! So glad you reminded me that I have one that I bought here in Japan years ago. DAMN! Where is it?!

I'll have to go hunting. No way I would throw it out. But house-moves, you know — something aways vanishes! Indeed it did a good job. What have I been thinking of during these few years — DUH! Well, besides earthquakes and rogue nukes.

Thanks! Daunia

That's been my experience as well. Some simply defy explanation. I will say the SpinClean probably works on about 8 out of 10 records I get. Seems people in this region of the country were especially hard on their vinyl.

How do you like the Record Doctor V so far??

The Record Doctor V seems to work really well. Other than those pesky scratches and occasional baked on clicks, the surface noise seems lower after using it.
I guess an "automatic" machine would be more convenient, but It's really no big deal to turn the darn thing manually. I placed my Spin Clean behind the Record Doctor V, spin the LP's in the Spin Clean, take them out and vacuum them dry on both sides, … then good to go!

onwardjames - I attempted to layer the album with Aleene's as you suggested. I was successful for the most part. I'm re-doing some parts that it didn't cover the first time. Your suggestion saved my album. Thanks so much. The karma wheel is now turning in your direction. :)

onwardjames - I attempted to layer the album with Aleene's as you suggested. I was successful for the most part. I'm re-doing some parts that it didn't cover the first time. Your suggestion saved my album. Thanks so much. The karma wheel is now turning in your direction. :)

Well hell yes! Very good, young padawan! So glad to hear that you're on the road to saving that album. Keep us informed and take pics if you can of any troublesome spots. I'll be glad to hear you're getting all that old glue off, and on your way to enjoying the record.

For kicks and giggles, I purchased a Mahalia Jackson 6 eye columbia record that has to be the moldiest record I've ever seen.

Gave it the scrubbing bubbles, then glued. Dead silent now.
You could have made cheese off that album.

And Mahalia Jackson? Wow, what a voice!

Back
Top Bottom