CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Have you ever used glue to clean a record?

• Yes

Votes: 232 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 929 80.0%

• Total voters
I plan on using DIY ultrasonic, followed by Vinyl Vac shop vac attachment for drying...hopefully the Vinyl Vac is not just going to be adding static back to the record that the ultrasonic has removed...but it should allow me to play the record right away after cleaning.

I plan on using DIY ultrasonic, followed by Vinyl Vac shop vac attachment for drying...hopefully the Vinyl Vac is not just going to be adding static back to the record that the ultrasonic has removed...but it should allow me to play the record right away after cleaning.

Get yourself a discwasher brush, a small spray bottle (usually a couple bucks at rite-aid or elsewhere) and mix up 99% alcohol (I used 92%, highest I could find) with distilled water, 30% alcohol, 70% water. Spritz the brush lightly, and drag over a clean record. Kills the static.

I have been doing that since reading here and it works great.

edit - If you're using ultrasonic, and rinse with a spritz of distilled water, I don't think you'd need the shop vac treatment.

I have been taking notes to see whether or not the glue treatment removes anything else on average soiled 99cent vinyl.

I am happy to report that simply scrubbing with a paint pad + dawn, covering labels with dent pullers, rinsing, perhaps a spin thru the spin clean, and finally using a homemade shopvac to lift the water off, is usually going to get about, oh, 95% of the noise and crud.

I've glued several lately, and only heard a SLIGHT improvement over these methods.

HOWEVER, I've also seen the glue method actually improve scratches, due to lifting the edge of the scratched wax. Only happens occasionally, but it has happened.

Never cleaned a record in the last 50 years. lol... Honestly. Never have. No problems here. Sounds fine.

But I do always clean the stylus, use a carbon brush, and keep the mat and TT clean

I do have 6+ LPs that need a cleaning. Either that or they are totally trashed. Bought them used.

Seriously, hardly any clicks or pops.

Last edited:
Never cleaned a record in the last 50 years. lol... Honestly. Never have. No problems here. Sounds fine.

But I do always clean the stylus, use a carbon brush, and keep the mat and TT clean

I do have 6+ LPs that need a cleaning. Either that or they are totally trashed. Bought them used.

Seriously, hardly any clicks or pops.

If you buy brand new, as you probably have, and keep them safe, as you obviously have, then great going.

I wasn't alive during the largest part of vinyl's craze, or at least too young to have been able to drive across town to the record store.

Plus, vinyl isn't my be all end all format because I feel it is superior (god, not that tired old saw again) but because it is a fantastic way to hear stuff that is out of print, and a dirt cheap way to experience new things. Plus, I love album art. Never gets old.

Can we include a glossary here? I keep seeing acronyms for things, and I have no idea what they are.

SB? VPI? It would be helpful to define these things for people new to this. :yes:

I got a lot of free records, here is how most of them look :p

21e6vdl.jpg

€40 spin washer

2cjzww.jpg

After a quick spin with ethanol:

2zg9f9e.jpg

Few little pops when playing but very much enjoyable.

Can we include a glossary here? I keep seeing acronyms for things, and I have no idea what they are.

SB? VPI? It would be helpful to define these things for people new to this. :yes:

Absolutely.

VPI - a type of record cleaning machine, very nice, a little pricey.

RCM - a record cleaning machine

SB - Scrubbing bubbles, as in the bathtub cleaner

TT - turntable

I can't think of any more, if you have a question, ask, and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

I've been using an Okki Nokki RCM for a few years now and love it. I'm not sure if they're still available in the states.

They must be … Okki Nokki ads post on this site all the time and they appear to be an AK sponsor.

jmchrislip … I also use SB on those used albums that don't come clean using the spin-clean / RCM routine. If SB doesn't work - its glue time!

Last edited:
jmchrislip … I also use SB on those used albums that don't come clean using the spin-clean / RCM routine. If SB doesn't work - its glue time!

^^^

This.

For me, it's this order.

1) Simple paint pad/dent pullers/dawn/shower rinse.

2) SpinClean

3) Shopvac lifting of the water.

4) Dry.

This doesn't do it, then I add SB between step 1 and 2.

This doesn't get it?

GLUE

if THIS doesn't get it, then it's skeet time. :pistols:

Got my Ultrasonic going...so far its GREAT! I agree about the SB,warm rinse,SB,rinse,then into Ultrasonic bath,then drip dry.If you are a little OCD then its no bother! :D On a personal note: Sorry BG got beat. But our Cats......!!

Frankly though, I find it hard to have time to do much Vinyl cleaning anymore. I love Vinyl, but it is slowly losing out to both Hi-Rez digital and streaming via Spotify Premium (320kbs setting). Of course there are those gems that are not available anywhere other than Vinyl and a few that absolutely sound the very best on Vinyl so I'm sure I'll be scrubbing and vacuuming LP's for a long time to come :)

I am interested in how much of the Scrubbing Bubbles is left behind. After a thorough rinse, I can STILL smell it on the records.

Can't be good. However, this method sure cleans them up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom