Clear Plastic Pioneer PL-400

resnatron

Haven't posted in a while but I found this and thought you all might like to take a look. It's a clear plastic Pioneer PL-400. I've never seen one and can't find anything about it on the Web. I'm assuming it was a dealer model to show the inner workings of the table. Maybe made around the same time as the clear HPM-100s. It's direct drive, fully automatic and works like a charm. Came with an Acutex cartridge but the diamond is gone from the stylus so I haven't played it yet, just turned it on to see if it worked mechanically. Unbelieveably there are absolutely no cracks, splits, or damage of any kind. The dust cover is hazy, but hey, what ones aren't?

It's pretty neat.

Oh yeah, it also came with a set of those nifty Audio Technica shock-absorbing feet.

Attachments

• cpl400_1a.jpg
    cpl400_1a.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 218
  • cpl400_2a.jpg
    cpl400_2a.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 218
  • cpl400_3a.jpg
    cpl400_3a.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 159
  • cpl400_4a.jpg
    cpl400_4a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 172
  • cpl400_5a.jpg
    cpl400_5a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 136
thats pretty neat. i'm sure thats not very common.

i have seen a few Pioneer elite HT receivers in the last couple of years that were entirely transparent plastic.

i would love to get my hands on a clear housing for my technics 1200.

i have been looking to get a set of those AT feet.

good score. :)

Indeed, very cool, Thorens did this with the Phantasie too, which was a clear version of the TD320 (and mk II).

Very cool and yes, Pioneer did a few different clear plastic dealer models of stuff.

Way cool - a keeper for sure! If not, it goes to VinylDavid so he can show it off the Magazines next time the come by :)

These days they'd have to code it for recycling..
Neat find. Get some colored LED's for inside of it.:scratch2:
dan

Yeah, I think I'll keep it awhile. It's going to look pretty cool in my listening room and I'm sure it will be a nice conversation item.

Yup,

Any baby-boomers out there remember seeing these at the Audio Stores back in the day. It's really nothing "special" as it was just made clear so that you could see the internal workings of the unit. You could see the automatic oporation AND all the drive technology. JVC had some of these as did Technics.

What I was told by a dealer that worked for Pacific Stereo circa '82 was that the cabinets were made from a clear acrylic V's the non-ressonent compond most of the Japanese companies had started ussing in the early 80's so it was strictly for display or visual demonstration only. Either way, it's still really cool to look at!!!

Joey

It'd be cool to have a couple of those, the turntable, and maybe a clear receiver? Definitely eye-catching!

Found it at a local thrift shop. $4.00. Just when you think, "I'm not going to stop at these shops, anymore, I never find anything..." Not that it's a big score or anything, but it's still pretty neat.

So is it for looking at only or do they function like normal? There is one on ebay now askin 1500. I have a chance at one coming up for sale local. Im sure it will be more than $4 the original poster paid in ‘08

So is it for looking at only or do they function like normal? There is one on ebay now askin 1500. I have a chance at one coming up for sale local. Im sure it will be more than $4 the original poster paid in ‘08

They were just store demo models but work just like the regular ones. I'd buy one if I found it at a reasonable price. Somewhat more than $4 and somewhat less than $1500 is reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom