Clearaudio Concept or Marantz TT-15S1?

Designdweeb

We're looking at another turntable purchase, and I'm conflicted.
Does anyone think one way or the other which one would be best? The Marantz design is older, but is a half step above the Concept in the product line, although the revision of the concept, with the wood plinth might be an improvement in quality, or does the difference matter? The Marantz seems to be available at lower prices. Help!

I believe you get a really good cartridge with the Marantz, so I'd go with that.

They're both excellent decks, by the way, so you won't go wrong with either.

Thanks, so, the next question is, how much better is the Marantz cart than the Clearaudio options? The website doesn't specify, other than "high quality moving-magnet." If we can cut a deal with our dealer for a cartridge upgrade on the Clearaudio, what options are there before we exceed the ability of the arm and table to manifest the difference?
Thanks again.

I have owned both tables. I got the marantz first. It's a really nice looking table. And sounded pretty good. But if you are a smoker it will show the effect.
I then bought the clearaudio concept from needledoctor.com. I bought the mm version. To my ears the concept sounds better. One thing for the concept is to get it level. It does include a bubble level. This will reduce footfalls.. I will say that the marantz is a very beautiful table very elegant and classy. But build quality and sound the concept winds.

Another happy concept owner here. I've not owned but have heard and seen the marantz. Seems like a nice deck but I'm glad I went with the concept. It seems like it makes it onto some "best component of the year" list consistently since it's been released.

I really like the Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge on my Marantz. And it is a very quiet table. The Concept's wow & flutter specification is considerable better, however.

Thanks, I am a smoker. We do lean to the Clearaudio line, Donna likes what she's heard, and the 'looks of it in the LR,' hahaha, she's says that to bust the chops of one of the guys at the dealer. We'll be planning to attend Musical Surroundings, the distributer's visit/ open house in two weeks. Maybe we can listen to different cartridges, if the shop can set up a couple of Concepts for demos.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread, I bought the Concept last year w/ std. MM cart. Somehow I broke the stylus. sigh - The dealer suggested this table could support a $1k cart w/o problem. I ended up with the mid upgrade performer. They upgraded my tonearm cables at the same time for their cost. The guys broke it in a bit and remarked how well this combo sounded. BTW, where is your local dealer? My sis live in NE Pa and I plan a trip to see her then go to AudioClassics and down through Allentown to Dans.

I mentioned in another thread, I bought the Concept last year w/ std. MM cart. Somehow I broke the stylus. sigh - The dealer suggested this table could support a $1k cart w/o problem. I ended up with the mid upgrade performer. They upgraded my tonearm cables at the same time for their cost. The guys broke it in a bit and remarked how well this combo sounded. BTW, where is your local dealer? My sis live in NE Pa and I plan a trip to see her then go to AudioClassics and down through Allentown to Dans.
Sorry for the delay responding. We're going to Audio Connection in Verona, NJ on Saturday, John's my dealer, and the Clearaudio distributer, Musical Surroundings' team coming out from California for a Dealer Day showcase, so we'll pick their brains and listen a lot!

Curious as to what you ended up with.
We got sidetracked with our budgeting, more than once, major car repairs, bought a new Nikon, a D750, I needed that for my work, and from Craigslist, a deal on a Clearaudio Nano V2 phonopreamp. The Nano makes a huge difference. The turntable is still on our to- do list and we'll let everyone know when we call John's and order.

Back
Top Bottom