clock radio battery backup question

mid-fi-ry

Generally does the 9volt power the display as well as the alarm? Or does it only keep internal time and sounds alarm? How does yours work?

Stupid question I know.

it keeps you from having to reset the clock when the power comes back on.generally the clock doesn't work in any external way in the meantime,you won't see the time displayed,and the alarm will NOT wake you up if the power is still out when the time comes...the time and alarm will be right when the power comes back on...thats it

Well...not all of them are that way. I owned two General Electric digital clock radios where the 9 volt battery would power up the radio (reduced level) at the preset time. Of course, the LED display wasn't lit and the time keeping was a bit erratic. These don't use quartz crystals, but rather rely on the 60Hz line frequency to maintain accuracy.

thank you. I thought mine was busted when I went to change an battery I thought dead but really had 8.6 volts left.

Mine keeps the time and alarm settings, but no display and no alarm sound as far as I know.

Now that you bring it up I should try the alarm part.

My Sony's back up battery will keep the internal clock running, activate the radio or alarm if the alarm is set, and play the radio when I push the Sleep button. I once opened it to see if I could find a place to attach an external speaker :stupid: and the circuit board was essentially a glorified AM/FM pocket radio with a clock chip and display.

Tom

it keeps you from having to reset the clock when the power comes back on.generally the clock doesn't work in any external way in the meantime,you won't see the time displayed,and the alarm will NOT wake you up if the power is still out when the time comes...the time and alarm will be right when the power comes back on...thats it

That would be mine , as well.

Just judging by the 5 or so alarm clocks I've owned so far, the alarm may continue to function or it may not.

Mine runs entirely off of a 9 V wall wart, or some AAs.
lumens-clock-blocks.jpg

Then there is this clock which is entirely battery powered, no alarm though!
image32.png

$10 at goodwill...

Mine keeps the time and alarm settings, but no display and no alarm sound as far as I know.

Now that you bring it up I should try the alarm part.

It is confirmed, mine keeps the time and settings memory only.

No radio, no alarm on battery backup power.

Back
Top Bottom