Closed back AKG recommendation?

1970's Fan

I have AKG reference K702 headphones which are superb but because they are open-backed, I would like a pair of closed-back ones for listening to spotify so that I dont disturb the wife as she’s watching her television. Any recommendations as to what model to get?
I have been looking, online, at K271 MkII.

Last edited:
The K550 is really cool. It has a huge soundstage for a closed can. And it’s pretty flat and detailed too.

You’ll find a lot of love for the K271 on head fi from ten years ago. I have yet to try it out. Eventually I’ll get a cheap pair off eBay.

Read the description of the K550MkIII on Richer Sounds @ just under £150 and it sounds like they’ll be just the job!

If you' want "vintage", the Austrian made 240's are real nice, and affordable.

I have a pair of K52s and K550 (or maybe 551s.) I like the 550/551 radically more than the K52s. I could live with the 550/551 as my main phones and I consider the 52s as a very decent, budget headphone entry.

The HD600s, Q701s and T50RPs are currently my main phones.

These headphones, I got from Amazon and they’re just called Ferrari headphones. I can’t recall how much they cost but the price and the name don’t fit lol. I got them because they were supposed to be noise cancelling. They take two AAA batteries. I thought they sounded great until I bought my AKG K702’s which are miles better! The AKG’s don’t go loud enough to drown out the wife's telly and at first I thought my headphone amp would be good, exept Mario Lanza is an artist I like to hear really belting out Vesti La Giubba! but the wife turns toward me with an irritable expression, so I thought I’d get closed-backed AKG cans. Well, that and it’s a good excuse to buy more stuff :D.
0E1A9DD4-B6F5-4AE3-B7C0-0F26345C47F6.jpeg
Ha! I just looked them up on Amazon, which I no longer buy from, and they still have them at £156. They are not a patch, sound quality-wise, on any of the AKG headphones in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom