Club Volleyball, the 2011 season

I've had some nice comments off line about this weekend's shots. I'm Learning!!

Full gallery here.

Please provide any comments or suggestions in the thread, would love to hear them!

Hi Gang,

The girls played a three day tourney in Wisconsin Dells over the weekend. Competition was very high and we were short two girls. One out with a concussion suffered during the week at practice and the other (arguably the best player) stayed home to play with her high school basketball team during sectional playoffs. They went 2-5 over the weekend but played very well. Sadly there were two games that they should have won but they took their collective foot off the throat of their opponent and allowed come from behind wins.

Regardless, the team had a great time and really bonded with each other.

1208158278_gWyZH-L.jpg

1208159337_KnjnP-L.jpg

1208161868_GFHL7-L.jpg

1208162424_gwy2p-L.jpg

1208163723_jvcaN-L.jpg

1208165445_McZmh-L.jpg

1208174675_eoXBq-L.jpg

16 Royal was back in action on Sunday, finally with their full complement of players (illness, spring break, etc) but it didn't help much. Competition at this small event was super tough but the girls played well. Each time out I see progress, and Marie is playing well and is handling the new wrinkles installed each week. We are finally seeing some X combo plays with great results.

This shoot was nerve wracking as I have misplaced my battery charger but I made it through the day. I also decided to go with auto white balance all day, a decision I now regret. I'm going to make up a white card before Sunday's event.

Starting with one of my favorite subjects, then some action:

Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 at f/2.8, 1/400, ISO 3200
1232273892_EDx8T-XL.jpg

1232275470_8SjmA-XL.jpg

1232278016_QEzxV-XL.jpg

1232286704_77NWo-XL.jpg

1232289055_Q923o-XL.jpg

Switching to Canon 85mm f1.8 lens, mostly at f/2.0 1/500 ISO 2500
1232297353_ZSTQR-XL.jpg

1232299584_pJK4v-XL.jpg

1232300544_TQ9SD-XL.jpg

Full gallery here: http://jeffwold.smugmug.com/2011MizunoM116Royal/Mizuno-Series-32811-18s/

I coach a 17s team down here in Atlanta, currently ranked 3rd in the Southern Region (GA, TN and AL). We will be up your direction in April for the Northern Lights National Qualifier and we also have AAUs on our schedule. Here are a few pics of the team...

This one is out of focus, but worth showing considering the serious AIR this girl gets!

rroobbcc, every time I see that pic I'm tempted to post this shot of Kellie McNeil as a 16. She's just completed her high school career with state champ Lakeville North, graduated early and is now at spring practice with U of MN. She has a 10-2 touch and was this year's prepvolleyball.com national setter of the year.

kelliehops.jpg

Her sister Taylr is currently a freshman, has already verbally committed to Minnesota, and is starring on M1's 17-1 team as a 15. She touches 10-1 as a 9th grader, so hops are in her blood.

tmcneil13_49_57.bmp

It's been a busy couple of weeks but 16 Royal doesn't rest. In the last two weekends they have gone 8-0.

Last week they played a 4 team pool and took first. The other setter was not able to play so Marie got her first chance to run a 5-1 offense and did great. This was an 18's tourney and the girls let them know that age and treachery doesn't always prevail.

1238952141_XVr7f-XL.jpg

1238952753_FrsWN-XL.jpg

1238982072_TUnZu-XL.jpg

Yesterday's tourney was a BLAST. It was 16 teams so there were 4 pools of 4 teams that played a round robin to determine brackets for afternoon play. 16 Royal destroyed all comers, winning the three matches with a 60 point differential. Being placed in the Gold flight in the afternoon meant tougher opponents but they were up to the task. The semi-final was a tight back and forth first set with multiple lead changes and neither team leading by more than 2 points. at 19-19, 16 Royal put the hammer down and won 6 of the next 7 points for the set. That demoralized the opponent and they didn't put up much of the fight for the deciding set.

The final was against their club rival team - 16 Navy. At this club, the two team is Navy, and Royal is 3, meaning that on paper Navy should win. Their head to head record going in to this match was 2-1 in favor of Navy. Navy took the first set 22-25 and looked ready to roll. Royal had other ideas and lead the entire set, winning 25-20 to force the rubber set. It was never close - Royal was on fire, everything worked, and they won 15-9.

btw, the gym gave me fits again...

1245855235_uFfED-XL.jpg

1245853947_DLbJf-XL.jpg

1245870628_uDqor-XL.jpg

1245852451_coHgB-XL.jpg

Love the shots, but that gym lighting sucks big time, especially on the final portrait. The color is obviously different on the back row and the front.

Here's a try to improve it in Photoshop (two layers of adjustment, levels and hue/sat), but the best thing might have been to use a strobe light.

Attachments

• vballteam.jpg
    vballteam.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks old! Their is another lady who shoots regularly (another team, same club) there that recently told me she's going to give up on that location - its just too challenging to get consistent shots. For me - I've decided to not be so selective there. I'll still shoot but not be so upset over things I can't control. At times I concentrate more on video with my Flip HD.

Oh and here is the link to Saturday's gallery. http://jeffwold.smugmug.com/2011MizunoM116Royal/Mizuno-Series-4-9-11/

Thanks for sharing! Those shots bring back some v-ball memories. I've dabbled in v-ball & photography over the yrs, but I'm an expert in neither. Our team won the men's intramural championship in college, but that was decades ago.

Last edited:
I coach a 17s team down here in Atlanta, currently ranked 3rd in the Southern Region (GA, TN and AL). We will be up your direction in April for the Northern Lights National Qualifier and we also have AAUs on our schedule. Here are a few pics of the team...

southdream-62.jpg

I met Rob yesterday - he showed up during Marie's second match and we chatted audio and mostly volleyball for the rest of that match and the rest. VERY nice guy, super knowledge of VB and he had some nice things to day about my daughter. I pressed him for some negatives, and being the southern gentle man he is, he graciously offered some advice on footwork. I mentioned that to Marie and she said that particular facet he brought up is something she's working on with her setters coach.

After our matches some of the team members and parents went to have lunch and walked through the hotel where Rob's team is staying - and I saw some girls in his club's gear getting ready to walk over to the convention center. I greeted them, and told them what a great guy they have for a coach. :) I did recognize a couple of the girls in the above shot.

Marie's team played well but still didn't make the cut for the upper pools, so we play this afternoon while Rob's squad won their pool and is now playing.

And Rob - I reviewed the video, that last call was NOT a net violation in any fashion!!!

one shot from yesterday.....

vb20110415-028-XL.jpg

Once again, great shots, especially considering the very challenging environment. Kudos to Marie and her teammates for giving it their all.

.....outrageously good high ISO shots, SpecialIdiot....I have to ask again, were these shot with a setting of auto-white-balance?.....

So far I'm AWB yesterday and today. It's a nicer place to shoot than I'm used to.

The girls won their first match just a bit ago, now we sit two games so we are at happy hour with some parents. :D

Rob won all three and is undefeated so far this weekend!

.....SpecialIdiot, will the free download do the same pictures you're getting?....I assume it's good for flash-shots also?......

.....I'm heading out the door to go ride motorcycles from Little Rock to Heber Springs with 5 friends from the railroad....well, make that 4, Dwummy works for Cricket, but he's ok and has a great golf swing.....

.....SpecialIdiot, will the free download do the same pictures you're getting?....I assume it's good for flash-shots also?......

.....I'm heading out the door to go ride motorcycles from Little Rock to Heber Springs with 5 friends from the railroad....well, make that 4, Dwummy works for Cricket, but he's ok and has a great golf swing.....

Yep but it's one at at time. Standard Edition lets you do a batch file - I did all 306 of yesterday's keepers in a few clicks.

One and Done today, Rob is now playing in the semifinal of the 17 Club division.

A few shots from Saturday and Sunday. The tourney went OK for the girls, they finished with 3 wins and 4 losses against some pretty tough competition but really held there own and were very competitive in every match they played.

If anyone would like to see some HD video, search youtube for my screen name.......

1254829191_gnvjkzZ-L.jpg

1254829292_DC3PRMS-L.jpg

1254830030_fB7G7v9-L.jpg

1254830709_w4jm6mq-L.jpg

1255807324_C7hKXH4-L.jpg

And here's a cool shot of Rob's team, maybe my favorite shot of the weekend. I really enjoyed watching his squad play. That's him on the sidelines.

1255778085_mxNvF35-L.jpg

16 Royal won the 16 Gold division of the North Country Regional Championships in dominating fashion. Only one team gave them much of a game, they won the five matches on the way to the final by an average score of 25-12. The final was closer but Royal was fully in control the entire match.

I was looking forward to shooting in this high school gym as it has a lot of sky lights, but of course it was a dark and dreary day outside.

vb20110501-87-X2.jpg

vb20110501-298-X2.jpg

vb20110501-73-X2.jpg

vb20110501-353-X2.jpg

vb20110501-263-X2.jpg

vb20110501-373-X2.jpg

vb20110501-389-X2.jpg

vb20110501-405-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom