CNN Article: "What does your favorite music say about you?"

SYSTEMIZING

You likely have an easier time than others understanding underlying patterns and systems that construct the world. David Greenberg, a University of Cambridge psychologist, found systemizers prefer intense music that forms complex sounds.

(I don't know how they got that - I'm not into the typical egghead kinda music)

With such a narrow selection of tunes(and especially styles) I think the survey says more about the psychologist's shitty survey writing skills than anybody's personality.

I took it for the heck of it, and came up with the Systemizing thing. According to the article I probably have empathy issues, which is crap.
My taste goes from complex and intense to happy go lucky kids music to everything in between. Asking somebody what they think of some Adele song(or all of them, aren't they all kinda the same?) to get a read on them is hilarious.

With such a narrow selection of tunes(and especially styles) I think the survey says more about the psychologist's shitty survey writing skills than anybody's personality.

I took it for the heck of it, and came up with the Systemizing thing. According to the article I probably have empathy issues, which is crap.
My taste goes from complex and intense to happy go lucky kids music to everything in between. Asking somebody what they think of some Adele song(or all of them, aren't they all kinda the same?) to get a read on them is hilarious.
An odd and limited assortment of tunes for sure. Not very scientific, just an interesting premise...

An odd and limited assortment of tunes for sure. Not very scientific, just an interesting premise...
Oh, for sure.

Btw, I'm listening to a 'new' release of Nirvana B-Sides and rare tracks this afternoon. Not sure where that puts me on the scale, lol!

......survey says more about the psychologist's shitty survey writing skills.......

....According to the article I probably have empathy issues, which is crap.
...some Adele song(or all of them, aren't they all kinda the same?....

That just totally cracked me up! [snipped for effect]. Kinda reminds me of an old Steve Martin line where he says, "I wrote 'How to Get Along With Everybody'....I didn't write it by myself. I wrote it with this other asshole jerkoff."

:rflmao:

That just totally cracked me up! [snipped for effect]. Kinda reminds me of an old Steve Martin line where he says, "I wrote 'How to Get Along With Everybody'....I didn't write it by myself. I wrote it with this other asshole jerkoff."

:rflmao:
Ha!
I'll take that as a compliment.

Was I wrong, though?

Ha!
I'll take that as a compliment.

Was I wrong, though?

I wasn't passing any judgement on the quality of your statement, just laughing at the irony. You are probably right about it. I took it to be about as serious and legit as any Cosmo quiz. I was Balanced btw but that isnt' shocking considering my music collection runs the full gamut with Classical, Jazz, Pop, Soul, Rock all being well represented.

I wasn't passing any judgement on the quality of your statement, just laughing at the irony. You are probably right about it. I took it to be about as serious and legit as any Cosmo quiz. I was Balanced btw but that isnt' shocking considering my music collection runs the full gamut with Classical, Jazz, Pop, Soul, Rock all being well represented.
I'd bet most around here are balanced, at least about music. How any of that connects to personality is fluff, IMO. Cosmo quiz is right.

Hope none of this comes across as a thread crap. Not my intent.

Yep, balanced. Accurate as far as music goes. Not sure I buy the rest of the theory, and it was a very short survey. I think it had both kinds of music. :biggrin:

It may reveal more about age than it does personality.

Last edited:
Systemizing, aparently. "Greenberg's team found systemizers prefer music that tends to be more energetic, often eliciting joy or even anger through charged lyrics and intricate patterns of notes." Sounds about right for me.

Back
Top Bottom