coax single to dual

may29901

My DAT recorder has 2 types of digital out. One is XLR and the other is an orange coax plug IEC type 2.
I could use either but they are single plugs.
I was looking at the UCA 222 conversion box from Behringer. It has a coax L/R input.
What kind of connector
would you use to send digital out from the DAT single out to this little box with a L/R input.
. The analog outs on the DAT are 2 XLR and I might just transfer analog if I cant figure out how to do it digitally.

This box has a USB cord attached to it for into a PC.

Unless I'm mistaken, the UCA 222 is an ADC. It accepts analog input and converts it to digital. It wouldn't be useful for for an already digital signal. You just need a spdf/coax input to your pc. If you transfer analog you will loose quality.

My DAT recorder has 2 types of digital out. One is XLR and the other is an orange coax plug IEC type 2.
I could use either but they are single plugs.....

Either single digital output carries both L & R channels. That would be fed to a DAC, which in turn has left and right analog outputs. XLR is probably AES/EBU while the orange coaxial is the more common S/PDIF digital format.

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, the UCA 222 is an ADC. It accepts analog input and converts it to digital. It wouldn't be useful for for an already digital signal. You just need a spdf/coax input to your pc. If you transfer analog you will loose quality.

It's also a DAC via its USB connection. The four RCA connectors are L/R analog inputs and outputs. It also has an optical out and a headphone out with an analog volume control.

It's also a DAC via its USB connection. The four RCA connectors are L/R analog inputs and outputs. It also has an optical out and a headphone out with an analog volume control.

Technically true. But its only a DAC for usb sources.

Well duh!:eek: The only digital input it has is USB.:D

What's really unusual about the UCA222/202 is that even with a very low price of $30 it also works as an ADC. That's what the analog input pair is for.

Well duh!:eek: The only digital input it has is USB.:D

What's really unusual about the UCA222/202 is that even with a very low price of $30 it also works as an ADC. That's what the analog input pair is for.

Indeed, but the OP is looking for S/PDIF or AES/EBU to USB conversion.

look at this thing and the description..
https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Decoder-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE
it seems to say you can coax in digital and output via USB digital...but I cant tell if thats so...
the USB port is on the same end as the input...that might not mean anything but it has me confused.....
it definitely is a DA converter also but I cant tell if its a D to D out also...

Looks like just a DAC to me.

I have a Tascam US-144 that theoretically takes S/PDIF digital input and will output it on the USB connection. I say theoretically because it's described in the manual but I've never personally tried it.

That, and the MKII version, is discontinued but still available used.

Another is the Creative Labs X-FI HD but that's optical input not coaxial.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom