Coaxial Cable Impact

nailer

audionerd
Subscriber
I recently switch from a Magnum Dynalab (it broke) to a Radio Shack cable between my APS indoor antenna and tuner. The weak signal station I listen to is now coming in stronger. Am I halucinating or can cable quality have an impact on signal strength/quality?

Thanks

Absolutely... poor quality cable can cause signal loss, and possibly also allow interference from external sources....

Over longer lengths, yes quality of cable can have an effect. I would suspect worn connectors on shorter lengths.

X

Even cables of identical length can sound different if they're different "RG" types. At higher frequencies, for instance, RG-58 or RG-59 will have higher attenuation than RG-6. That's a generalization, to be sure, but fairly accurate.
Tom

Thanks, at least I know I'm not going crazy. On second thought, looking at all my tuners, tube amps, and switchblades, I probably am crazy. Reminds me of a line in an old country/western song - "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane."

OvenMaster said:
Even cables of identical length can sound different if they're different "RG" types. At higher frequencies, for instance, RG-58 or RG-59 will have higher attenuation than RG-6. That's a generalization, to be sure, but fairly accurate.
Tom

Throw out the RG-58 it's impedance is 50 ohm. Tuners are 75 ohm as is RG59 and RG6. Using an equal length of 58 and 59 will be drastically different. The miss-matched impedance with 58 will result in signal loss.

If its only a 1 or 2 meter cable the difference between RG6 and RG59 would hardly be measurable. Now if you have a longer run then RG6 will have less loss than the RG59.

X

If noise isn't an issue, 300 ohm twin lead has less loss than coax.

I use that as the main feed to my splitter, a run of about 40 feet, at which point it's converted to 75 ohm coax for distribution in the house.

Shoot, I had forgotten that RG-58 was 50 Ohms. At least I knew that it wasn't suitable for use with FM! :) And I do remember looking at charts when I was planning my 40 foot run to my antenna and seeing that RG-6 did indeed have lower loss, especially around the higher UHF TV channels that I get in my area (57, 59, 61, 65, 67). I guess I did something right.
Tom

Markw said:
I use that as the main feed to my splitter, a run of about 40 feet, at which point it's converted to 75 ohm coax for distribution in the house.

Placing some gentle twists in the twinlead cable will help reduce external interference...

Punker X said:
Tuners are 75 ohm as is RG59 and RG6.

Now if you have a longer run then RG6 will have less loss than the RG59.

X

Ok so X, from what you just said it appears that the RG6 is really the way to go.
I know there is different shielding types, but what am I looking for and how do I tell what type it is?
Is it going to say the shielding type directly on the cable?
Maybe in a code???

Do you have a prefurred brand?

I usally prefer Belden products for cables. As far as sheilding goes, really don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in that has more experience. I like the plain old 95% braided shielding. Hate that foil type. This is just for working with it, no idea what would perform better.

To tell the truth, I paid a local Antenna guy to climb my tower, install the antenna and run the cable. Did enough of that in the Navy.

X

Just for an example, here's a PDF of what I got and used for my setup. I got a spool end (>100ft.) of Belden 9248 for nothing and it was more than enough, with a whole lot left over for making replacements for indoors, etc.

It says on the side of the cable, "Belden 9248 RG-6 TYPE 75 OHM COAX CM ICIB (UL) E102298 OR AWM 1384 OR C(UL) CM". Right there it gives the maker, the maker's part number, RG type, Ohms, cable type, UL and Canadian UL certification.

Tom

:thmbsp: Thanks guys.

Hate to sound like a noob but uhhh :yes:

Wow that 9248 is a 500 foot run.
Do they have short premaid runs of it, like 1/2 ft to 6 ft) available?

Now is that stuff available locally, like at Rat Shack,Lowes, Home Depot?
Or do I need to go to a specialty place, maybe online???

Obviously you guys are making your own ends.Are there any special tools needed to do this?
And yea...Where can I get those LOL

Last edited:
Try ebay many times people have shorter lengths availible. Home Depot and Rat Shack both sell F connectors and special crimpers. There's also some special strippers that make things a bit easier.

X

:D For all of my connectors, even for outdoor use I used the twiston RatShack jobbies and sealed 'em up with silicone sealant. Six years and still going strong, in blazing summers and frozen winters. YMMV :para:
Tom

Radio Shack used to sell pre-made lengths of RG-6 with F connectors on both ends. Pretty sure that they still do, although haven't purchased any in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom