Coaxial from Sound Blaster to Receiver Issues

faber12

Addicted Member
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy SE I use in my PC, it is a low profile sound card that has coaxial digital out via one of the 3.5 mm jacks. It supports 7.1, although I only use it for 5.1/2.0.

I have used this card successfully with a Sony STR-DG510 for years. I use a mono 3.5 mm to RCA cable to connect the card to the coaxial input on my receiver.

I also have a Rotel RSX-1056 that I can hook up this way, but I have a heck of a time getting it to work correctly. It seems to be very picky about what cable I use. I can only get it to work with a super cheap 3.5mm to L/R RCA cable, using only the right side RCA to the coaxial at the receiver.

Even when it does work, there are audio dropouts that are associated with things turning on in the house. When the central air turns on, when the burners on the electric range cycle, etc.

I never had this issue with the Sony receiver. Any old cable worked, and never a dropout, always a rock solid connection.

Any suggestions for how to remedy this? The Rotel sounds better than the Sony, and has more digital decoding features as well, or I would just reinstall the Sony. :)

Thank you.

Have you tried cleaning the connector on the Rotel? I've found digital coax to be pretty robust and have fed it all around my house using regular old belden and extron mini-coax cable alongside my component video with no problems like you describe.

Have you tried cleaning the connector on the Rotel? I've found digital coax to be pretty robust and have fed it all around my house using regular old belden and extron mini-coax cable alongside my component video with no problems like you describe.

I have tried all three coax connections on the Rotel, starting the think there are bad solder joints.

I have tried all three coax connections on the Rotel, starting the think there are bad solder joints.

Do you have another source with coaxial digital output to try with the Rotel? CD/DVD/BD player maybe?

I'd try a difference source to eliminate external causes before suspecting problem with all the digital inputs.

Is the Rotel new to you?

I can try a DVD player, good idea, the Rotel is slightly new to me, I got it some time ago, but could not get it to work properly on coaxial. It had problems with some formats. I upgraded the firmware, and it is better, but now it has this problem.

I will try a DVD player when I can, and report back.

I have a DVD player hooked up right now, when I plugged the DVD player in to AC power there was a drop in the audio from the PC. As soon as I plugged the coaxial cord from the DVD in to the Rotel there was almost constant dropouts even before turning on the DVD player.

Now, with the DVD running, I can cycle the air conditioner and other things that caused issues before without any drop out of audio.

Possibly the jack on the sound card is dirty, I will have to Deoxit it and report back.

The DVD worked perfectly, even with other things connected.

Does Rotel use Sansui Glue?

IMG_20170518_204227_144.jpg

I am thinking that this unit may need to be serviced, and by someone who knows what he is doing. Right now though, the WAF is low on this unit...

Back
Top Bottom