Coffee. Anything coffee related.

Ayaaa! Time, where did it go? I'm late for the review so here it goes....
Technivorm is made in the Netherlands for over 50 years which gave them a lot of time to get it right. They did for the most part.

Hands down from a build aspects it's quality. Be it the machined aluminum to it's thick copper heating element and removable part to have it be cleaned I can't find to much fault. With the water reservoir and coffee bean basket the only parts that are plastic I find that acceptable.
Aesthetics wise it's beautiful to see. I always go back to saying if something has to take up real estate be it speakers or coffee maker it better look good. With that it's a welcoming site in the morning but one will pay handsomely for that privilege as ours was just north of $300.

I found the best grind for this coffee was on fine. This allowed the water to "bloom" or "mushroom" out from the inside of the basket thus allowing full saturation of all the ground coffee. If one were so inclined one could stir the this saturated brew once to mix up the grounds to get a nice soak.
With coarse coffee I found that the water flowed through a bit too fast and didn't saturate the grounds and in one case left parts of the grounds dry in the basket. A shameful waste.
First pick shows the solid soaking of grounds. Nice creama too!
Brewed at a perfect temperature of 200° the Technivorm takes around 4-6 minutes to brew a full pot depending on several factors such as grind, amount etc.
Once brewed it'll hold the temp to around 180 ish degrees give or take +-5° for 1 1/2 hours then stay warm depending on house temp for another 30 minutes.

So how does it taste? Outstanding. This was a solid purchase which we hope will be the last one we buy for many, many, many years.

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_100127784_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171228_100127784_HDR.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 20
Below are a few shots of me dialing in the perfect grind. As you can see with a coarser grind the coffee saturation isn't as thorough as the finer coffee I have pictured above. This took around a lb to dial in from Turkish grind to coarse. Used really cheap coffee grounds for this.
Anyway the end result was well worth the experiment.

Attachments

• IMG_20170202_093618040.jpg
    IMG_20170202_093618040.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170202_095135423_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170202_095135423_HDR.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170202_100838627.jpg
    IMG_20170202_100838627.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20170204_094435225.jpg
    IMG_20170204_094435225.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 16
Were headed that direction in March. Molokai to be more specific.
Molokai grows some great coffee too! I don't think Molokai has a Costco, but Maui does. They have a great selection of local coffees at great prices. Kinda funny, Costco is across the street from The Maui Coffee Roasters on Maui. And Costco carries some of their coffee for a lot less. Have fun!

Bonavita: the everyday go to, great coffee maker for the money.

Aero press: As close to good Italian espresso that you can make at home without an expensive machine.

Hario pour over: Hard to beat a clean pour over.

Bodem press: rarely use but sometimes get a taste for it.

Turkish: once in awhile I get a taste for that or need some serious mainline caffeine.

Epica hot water pot for accurate hot water.
Only Zero filtered or purified water are ever used.

Coffee of choice, Espesso, Italian roast dark roast, or any single origin are favorites.

Hey, I’m Italian, I love coffee! ;-)”

4920F3C9-8487-42C5-8704-0775F47624F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Bonavita: the everyday go to, great coffee maker for the money.

Aero press: As close to good Italian espresso that you can make at home without an expensive machine.

Hario pour over: Hard to beat a clean pour over.

Bodem press: rarely use but sometimes get a taste for it.

Turkish: once in awhile I get a taste for that or need some serious mainline caffeine.

Epica hot water pot for accurate hot water.
Only Zero filtered or purified water are ever used.

Coffee of choice, Espesso, Italian roast dark roast, or any single origin are favorites.

Hey, I’m Italian, I love coffee! ;-)”

View attachment 1081710
My coffee hardware:

Behmor 1600+ roaster
Breville Kettle w/ 5 presets
Britta pitcher
Aeropress w/ Disc brand filter
Chemex
IKEA French press x 2
IKEA stove top espresso maker
A San Peligrino bottle with the bottom cut off and a calibrated hole in the lid for use as an ice dripper w/ the Aeropress for DIY Kyoto style
Edit: I forgot the grinders
Baratza Encore
Hario Slim
And a Bonavita small kettle for travel

Last edited:
Me:
> some model of electric water boiler tea pot percolator looking thing. makes water hotter thing.
> dual-wall insulated stainless press (weirdly metallic tasting for the first few pots, until burned in. no longer an issue)
> 2x coffee cup; the big ass one.
> stove top espresso cooker for those hammerhead / a shot in the dark mornings.

Practice material that was included in the purchase of the Behmor 1600+.

The 2lbs Guatemala was an bonus gift. I picked the Rwanda over several other choices. I like the African stuff and figured I'd try that instead of Kenya, or the other choices of Colombian, Costa Rica, etc., etc.

15151782485831111127432.jpg

I go to paradise and back for good coffee.

View attachment 1081374
The best coffee I have ever had was a batch from a small mom and pop coffee grower on the big island of Hawaii.
Their home grown and roasted coffee was amazing.
They had a small road side shop of the main drag.

FYI,
There was a study done years ago that showed more 'Kona' coffee was exported
from Hawaii than was actually grown on the island.
Meaning, there are shady characters out there passing off other (imported) coffees as Kona.
So I never buy any Hawaiian coffee beans on the main land.
I should look the small shops up online and buy some direct from Hawaii.
Even there you need to know and trust the owners.

The best coffee I have ever had was a batch from a small mom and pop coffee grower on the big island of Hawaii.
Their home grown and roasted coffee was amazing.
They had a small road side shop of the main drag.

FYI,
There was a study done years ago that showed more 'Kona' coffee was exported
from Hawaii than was actually grown on the island.
Meaning, there are shady characters out there passing off other (imported) coffees as Kona.
So I never buy any Hawaiian coffee beans on the main land.
I should look the small shops up online and buy some direct from Hawaii.
Even there you need to know and trust the owners.
I agree and a lot of stuff sold as Kona can be as low as 10% Kona beans. The 100% Kona organic, estate grown, peaberry, etc. etc., can fetch quite a bit. Fortunately if you go to the Big Island or the other Islands, there are numerous coffee growers that you can taste and buy directly from. You learn a lot and it's fun.

Back
Top Bottom