Coffee. Anything coffee related.

With all due respect to the other poster on the Capresso burr grinder I'd look at something else. I've had ours for five years now and that damn thing makes a huge mess of coffee grounds everywhere due to the static electricity build up. Once ground and you go to slide out the tray, like tiny confetti the very fine coffee grounds go a popping out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AR7S...t=&hvlocphy=9032421&hvtargid=pla-465686412632

What it does do well is grind coffee very well to your preferred settings. Hands down happy with that. But the mess. Ugh. My wife is almost ready to go back to pre ground. :(
So I need to hustle and find a good one. Maybe some sort of "gravity drop" type that one puts their filter under and once ground just hit a lever and drops the freshly ground beans. :crazy:
Not sure if static is common in all grinders just know this one has a lot.

This is a very good read on grinders.
http://foodal.com/drinks-2/coffee/grinders/buying-guide/

When I read (above article - near the end on recommended grinders) about the lack of static electricity build up on this unit my ears perked up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O...colid=2M6WZSRXZKQF8&coliid=IFQXXGGOGCNR8&vs=1
This looks to be my next purchase.

Thanks for the link to the buying guide, it was a good read. I'm leaning towards the Baratza Encore. It's frequently rated as a best buy.

-Dave

Thanks for the link to the buying guide, it was a good read. I'm leaning towards the Baratza Encore. It's frequently rated as a best buy.

-Dave

I've had Baratza grinders for over a decade, starting with the first model they ever produced (Maestro) and every model in between including their weight based attachment before they integrated that into a production model.

I don't want to get hounded for being a "fan boy" but I can say I have personally owned a LOT of coffee grinders.

For the money (best bang for the buck and the easiest to repair with availability of parts going back to the first model) Baratza is always my first recommendation when someone asks about getting an entry level grinder. Now if your budget were up in the 4 figures I would have other recommendations for you.

All they make is grinders. No toasters or microwaves like other companies in the "grinder business"

Pic of the old team from a few years ago. Today I only have Forte BG models from them.

grinders_x6_zpsc51a1d8f.jpg

I've had Baratza grinders for over a decade, starting with the first model they ever produced (Maestro) and every model in between including their weight based attachment before they integrated that into a production model.

I don't want to get hounded for being a "fan boy" but I can say I have personally owned a LOT of coffee grinders.

For the money (best bang for the buck and the easiest to repair with availability of parts going back to the first model) Baratza is always my first recommendation when someone asks about getting an entry level grinder. Now if your budget were up in the 4 figures I would have other recommendations for you.

All they make is grinders. No toasters or microwaves like other companies in the "grinder business"

Pic of the old team from a few years ago. Today I only have Forte BG models from them.

That settles it. I'm pulling the trigger on the Baratza Encore.

-Dave

That settles it. I'm pulling the trigger on the Baratza Encore.

-Dave
You won't be dissatisfied, zero complaints about mine. I've been roasting my own for a few years now. Started with a modified popcorn popper and after a year bought a Behmor 1600. A year or 2 later upgraded to the 1600 plus controller. I mostly use French press, but also pour over, stovetop espresso maker, Aeropress and diy Kyoto ice drip. The Bunn Trifecta is an amazing machine in the hands of a dedicated professional but it takes a lot to dial in the nearly infinite combinations of adjustments. Even if $3k was practical the machine really isn't. At $500ish the simpler Trifecta MB home version would be my dream machine.

That looks damn good! :beerchug:
Let me ask what exactly does coffee due to the meat? How much grounds do you use and what type is best?

Used as a marinade, it actually helps tenderize the meat. I make a strong cup of whatever's in the rack using a french press, soak the meat an hour or two with the other ingredients, then rub the meat with the used grounds and brush off the excess before doing a pan fry.

Try it ... you'll like it!

PS ... I cheat. Local coffee house also has a smoke house and makes their own line of seasonings called Java Jolt. They use it on their own jerky, ribs, and such. That already has coffee in it as well for a bit more of a jolt, but I still like to pretreat with the marinade and rub.

With all due respect to the other poster on the Capresso burr grinder I'd look at something else. ....

Not sure if static is common in all grinders just know this one has a lot.

Static is pretty common if there is any non-conductive pathway the ground coffee flows through/into.

While the Capresso may seem like a lot, it is a tiny fraction of the static from my previous Mr. Coffee grinder.

As well, it varies a lot depending on ambient humidity and the roast of the bean. Darker roasts seem noticeably more prone to static than lighter roasts. I'm a light to med/light (city to full city) roast sorta guy.

Last edited:
Only indication of static I see is some grounds sticking to the plastic ground receptacle. You'd think ground coffee would be pretty well grounded by the time it gets that far. <G>

Anyway ... I know some coffees will clump a bit after grinding, but that's more of a natural oil content kinda thang. I get that a lot with super dark blends such as an Italian roast.

PS ... here's my local coffee shop and selection. They've also got a nice little cafe with "community tables" ... both slurping and non-slurping. <G>

http://www.hermansboy.com/the coffee ranch.htm

A solemn coffee share this day, eh?

The old Zojirushi coffee maker got relegated to the basement, for crowd use when the relatives visit I was told. These said occurrences happen too often, but that's another story/lament. Now this particular coffee making device had held up under the most extreme use, compact, never missing a beat. It did its job well. I do admit that changing the filters was a pain some times, much akin to the diaper days of old. Plus, I never did get used to those environmentally brown filters. Don't ask me why? I just preferred the snow white ones.

It's true, the Zo did make some unusual noises at times when under full steam(pun not intended), but it resulted in a well brewed aromatic and tasty end product. Coffee time was a good time at this time and all the time.

But as all wonderful stories go...we had to keep up with the "Joneses"...more the visiting relatives that I had mentioned at the start of this coffee rant. The newer one cup coffee maker, Keurig, was the new boy on the block. It now sits on the counter top, issuing a labour intensive(each K- cup needs filling), coffee device that has to be cajoled into creating a single cup of coffee! However, we now have TWO said plastic "K-cups" which creates more mayhem in the kitchen as the "K-cups" are used, cleaned, reused...well, you get the picture. This procedure works for up to four people, but for any more coffee drinkers than this...I hit for the basement for old Zo. Ku vs Zo? Sounds more like Sumo wrestling.

A true but tragic coffee saga, I will admit and probably one that is not unique in my case. I'll wager that there's millions of the old perculators sitting in other basements gathering dust suffering this same sad fate. And we call this progress?

My rant for the day. I need a coffee!

Q

Last edited:
Oh, here's my other coffee grinder. 1/2 hp motor...

The jar just behind it to the left is a half-gallon Mason jar, just for scale.

Snagged it at a garage sale last year. They had two, should have bought both the price was that good.

index.php

Last edited:

What KLH9 said. Baratza. I have a retire Maestro and a Preciso that has replaced my Gaggia MD240 ( far less money).

... I'll wager that there's millions of the old peculators sitting in other basements gathering dust suffering this same sad fate. And we call this progress?

My rant for the day. I need a coffee!

Q
IMHO, percolators belong in the dump, not in a basement. Worst way ever invented to make coffee.

IMHO, percolators belong in the dump, not in a basement. Worst way ever invented to make coffee.

A point of error on my part when I covered all past coffee devices "in the basement". To a large degree, I agree with your comment on the percs in that they tended to pound out the flavour and all that went with it.. The Zojiruishi was however a DRIP type machine and I mentioned not as such.

Sorry to shake up the Coffee Tree.:)

Q

I used to hate coffee. But I wanted to like it. I liked the smell, I like hot drinks, I just couldn't get over the bitter (to my palate) taste. So I started with very sweet cappuccinos, and worked backwards getting stronger and less sweet until I could tolerate it, lol. I still can't handle a black coffee, but I'm getting there.

I was out with some friends and we went to a coffee shop, and I got some fancy hipster-style coffee. This was my first "coffee shop" coffee. I must say, it was VERY good.

I wish I could switch to coffee altogether (from soda). It's gotta be a healthier way to get my caffeine fix.

Back
Top Bottom