Columbus Marathon

MikE

Color Me Gone
As some of you may know I've been training for the Columbus marathon, intending to participate in the relay with my better half. This was my goal race of the year. I was hopeful that a half-marathon time of 1:42:30 would indicate a level of fitness that would prepare me to begin training for my assult on qualifying for the Boston marathon next fall. All has gone very well leading up to this race as I ran a 1:43 half-marathon in August. Therefore my sights were set a bit higher for Columbus... perhaps a sub-1:40. Then last week Dana tells me she can't do the relay on Sunday. What now? It's too late to get another partner. Do I sign up for the marathon and run the race I'd trained for the last three months... and then just walk off the course? Or do I try and run the entire distance, even if I haven't trained for it? I posed this - "Is this a REALLY dumb idea?" - question on various forums and the feedback was mixed. As I told Dana as I stepped out the door, "I have no idea what I'm going to do, I'll just let my body tell me what it can do".

Sunday October 17th:

I woke up at 6am and the first thing I did was check the latest weather report; 37 and blustery. I decide to wear shorts / singlet / gloves and a long sleeve "toss-a-way" shirt. An hour before the start I did a two mile warm up at the park, I felt good and ready to race. It didn't feel that cold and my legs felt pretty loose. I then stretched / taped and 15:00 before the race I jogged another mile to the start line. I was greeted by approx. 5,000 runners at the start and wiggled my way toward the front. I got off in decent shape crossing the starting line in 26 seconds. I really didn't want to go out too fast, instead I wanted to use that 1st mile to loosen up and find my rhythm. All the splits that follow are "chip times" not "gun times".

Mile 1 - 7:54

I was looking for 7:45 which would be about :10 within my goal pace. Seeing my clock time I began to push the pace. Unfortunately, I missed the 2nd mile marker but based on my sum time at the 3 mile marker I averaged 7:12 those two miles.

Mile 2 - 7:12 [est.]

Mile 3 - 7:12 [est.]

Those two slightly uphill miles didn't feel that fast. At the time I didn't bother to do the math and didn't even realize I was running that fast.

Mile 4 - 7:38

About this time [perhaps earlier] I hooked up with the 3:15 marathon pace group and running with them settled me down. I was a bit surprised at the large group of people running that pace as it was pretty crowded up front. We were running now in a very nice community with wide streets and even more spacious yards and homes. This is one of the older neighborhoods in Columbus and the tree-lined streets blocked the majority of the sun. Seems like the first half of the course was shaded, which was unfortunate. My throw-a-way shirt was still proving quite useful.

Mile 5 - 7:27

Right on schedule. This was a bit faster than 1:40 pace but honestly I wasn't sure what kind of shape I was in and secretly was thinking I could go in 1:37/38 if everything went well.

Mile 6 - 7:34

Another comfortable mile. I was surprised how quickly the mile markers were coming up. The comraderie of the "pace group" was entertaining as there was much good cheer among the pack.

Mile 7 - 7:24

Another comfortable mile. As we passed pockets of enthusiastic spectators and I caught myself picking up the pace. Finding I was right at the front of the pace group I purposely eased off the accelerator.

Mile 8 - 7:40

And just like that the pace group began to get away from me at a water stop. I tried to reel them back in as I'd done earlier but this time it wasn't so EZ as we began to climb a gentle but long upgrade.

Mile 9 - 7:43

Combined with the hill and my general fatigue I felt the pace slowly become more and more of a strain on my engine. The real race was just beginning.

Mile 10 - 7:28

Goodbye upgrade, hello descent! We're entering downtown at this point and the crowds helped pick me up. I kept waiting for the sun to warm up my core body temperature but it never did. My long sleeve shirt stayed put.

Mile 11- 7:49

Another gentle downhill but now I was in "hang on" mode as I tried to "hitch a ride" with each passing runner. The reception in German Village was encouraging but I was in no mood to celebrate.

Mile 12 - 8:06

My first 8 minute mile. Well, this was discouraging! Try as I might I couldn't get my legs to "turn over" any faster. The demons are telling me to slow down!

Mile 13 - 8:01

The last mile had a few rises as I was fighting with myself to pick up the pace. Just one [1] more mile damn it!!! I finish strong, running the last 1/10 of a mile in 38 seconds.

1st Half-Marathon time - 1:39:53 [7:38 pace per mile]

I was very pleased to blitz my original goal [1:42:30] and get under 1:40, even if it was just barely. But I didn't feel that I ran my best race or that I was properly peaked today. Not sure why, just didn't feel at my best.

So what did I do? Continue on with my "REALLY dumb idea?" or just call it a day? You have two guesses. I didn't stop after I hit the half way, instead I continued to jog along the course but I had no intention of going the full distance. My legs didn't hurt so much as they were just "used up" and protesting. It was getting colder with each passing mile and couldn't wait to get inside and warm up. I had a built in excuse, so I bagged my "marathon thoughts" and continued along High street for a mile [9:01 pace]. That's when I spot [actually she spotted me] an old training partner on the sidelines. So I stopped [even when she said "don't stop, keep going"] I told her I was "done" and only planned on doing the half. We talk briefly about my race and our next race together on Thanksgiving. We hugged one last time and I continue along my merry way. Then 10 seconds later I see Dana driving toward me going the opposite direction. She says Julian busted his lip and she's taking him to Children's Hospital - nice. I climb a short uphill and coming down the other side my right hamstring decides to cramp big time. So there I am in the middle of High Street waiting for this stabbing pain to leave so I can walk the 1/2 mile home [which is right on the course].

I make it eventually and stretch out a bit, shower and grab a beer and watch the long prosession of runners stream by my front door. This is at the 14 1/2 mile mark. There was a Carribean band playing across the street and it was fun watching the runner's reaction. Looking just around the corner you can see a few of the fast runners finishing the last mile of the course heading toward the hockey arena. Eventually I walk over and wait to cheer on my friends.

All-in-all, a successful day. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test my "dumb idea". But based on what I was feeling today I would have to side with those that agreed it was more wishful thinking than reality to believe I could jog the 2nd half in 2 hours after racing the 1st in 1:39. Maybe on another day but today my legs were too tramatized by the race for anything more than standing for two hours watching the real runners race.

MikE

Last edited:
WOW.........What a eventful day for you!

I guess you did more burning up of energy in one day, than I have in the last month put together.

You are a inspiration to runners everywhere with your "dogged" determination, and the will to push yourself beyond the average limitations.

I'm sure you will be ready for the next marathon with much enthusiasm!

Sorry to hear you could not participate the way you had planned, but still sounded very successful to me.

Keep up the spirit!!!

Ron

Mike

Congrats ! We knew you had a sub 1.40 in ya :yes:

Hope Julian is OK.

Dave

Sorry about the late reply but thanks for the support guys! I just began a training schedule for the Cincinnati "FlyingPig" marathon May 1st. Since my last marathon was in 2000 I wanted to do a "test run" before my Boston qualifier in October. Even if you've run them before, 26 miles can be a shock to your system! It's early but so far, so good. Some how I managed to not "blowup" over the holidays! :beer: :beer: :beer:

MikE

Back
Top Bottom