Column 2's +1001A's

RoyOtis

Hello all, new to AK and had a question regarding my set up. I have a set of Column 2's on one channel and a set of 1001A's on the other. I am currently powering them with a Technics SA800 receiver at 125wpc. It does alright and we are the loudest house on the block, but these pigs are power hungry and it seems like I could use more power. I am considering a Yamaha M85 and using the Technics as a tuner/preamp in the distant future. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Welcome to AK.
A quick Google search says both of your speaker models are rated at 8 ohms and the Column 2's are "high efficiency" speakers.
According to Google it appears the SA800 has pre outs and main ins.
Seems like it would work but not sure, hopefully someone with experience with those will offer some help.
More power "used with discretion and common sense" is usually a good thing.

When you say you have Column II on one channel and 1001A on the other, I assume you mean you have a pair of Column II hooked up to the "A" set of speaker outputs, and the 1001A hooked up to the "B" speaker outputs? Any particular reason you're running both at the same time?

I ask because the Column II is a much better speaker than the 1001A (it retailed for 6 times the price), and I know from experience that it runs very well, and gets plenty loud on half the power you have. And sounds great doing it. It's a pretty easy load on an amp.

Also in my experience, running two sets of speakers at once tends to muck with the overall sound quality. The frequency response of both speakers start messing with each other and overall sound quality is reduced.

If I were you, I'd ditch the 1001A (or move them to a secondary system) and just play the Column II. It will take significant load off the amp, and you may very well find you like the sound better. Don't worry, they'll still get plenty loud. :)

When you say you have Column II on one channel and 1001A on the other, I assume you mean you have a pair of Column II hooked up to the "A" set of speaker outputs, and the 1001A hooked up to the "B" speaker outputs? Any particular reason you're running both at the same time?

I ask because the Column II is a much better speaker than the 1001A (it retailed for 6 times the price), and I know from experience that it runs very well, and gets plenty loud on half the power you have. And sounds great doing it. It's a pretty easy load on an amp.

Also in my experience, running two sets of speakers at once tends to muck with the overall sound quality. The frequency response of both speakers start messing with each other and overall sound quality is reduced.

If I were you, I'd ditch the 1001A (or move them to a secondary system) and just play the Column II. It will take significant load off the amp, and you may very well find you like the sound better. Don't worry, they'll still get plenty loud. :)
You are correct in that I've got one set on A channel and the other on B. I like the way both sets fill the house. I found that they compliment each other fairly well. I wonder if I could bi amp the column 2's with channel A and B? Or would I just let the smoke out of my receiver?

You are correct in that I've got one set on A channel and the other on B. I like the way both sets fill the house. I found that they compliment each other fairly well. I wonder if I could bi amp the column 2's with channel A and B? Or would I just let the smoke out of my receiver?

No, don't do that. Plus, that doesn't help you at all if you prefer having both sets running at the same time. How would you then power the 1001?

I think the Yamaha M-85 would be a good option for you since it's quite a bit more powerful with a beefier power supply (most receivers, even monsters don't actually deliver a lot of current). What's unique with the M-85 is that it's a power amp that has multiple speaker outputs so you can run multiple sets at once. Most power amps are designed for a single set of speakers. As you say, you can run your Technics into the M-85 using the preouts and use it as a preamp.

No, don't do that. Plus, that doesn't help you at all if you prefer having both sets running at the same time. How would you then power the 1001?

I think the Yamaha M-85 would be a good option for you since it's quite a bit more powerful with a beefier power supply (most receivers, even monsters don't actually deliver a lot of current). What's unique with the M-85 is that it's a power amp that has multiple speaker outputs so you can run multiple sets at once. Most power amps are designed for a single set of speakers. As you say, you can run your Technics into the M-85 using the preouts and use it as a preamp.
I guess what I meant was unhooking the 1001A's and running both A and B into the Column 2's. Probably would roast a few things doing that though. I really liked the set up on the M 85 though.

I guess what I meant was unhooking the 1001A's and running both A and B into the Column 2's. Probably would roast a few things doing that though. I really liked the set up on the M 85 though.

Right. I knew what you meant. Don't do that. As you said, that will smoke some stuff. And the amp wouldn't magically create more power doing that.

I turned off the 1001A's and just ran the column 2's for a few songs, then shut those off and kicked on the 1001a's......what a difference! I may just end up trying to track down another set of Column 2's and get rid ofthe 1001A's! The 1001a's sounded poor in comparison. Too mid-rangy, almost like a bull horn and poor high frequency quality. Don't know why it's taken so long for me to come to this conclusion.

I turned off the 1001A's and just ran the column 2's for a few songs, then shut those off and kicked on the 1001a's......what a difference! I may just end up trying to track down another set of Column 2's and get rid ofthe 1001A's! The 1001a's sounded poor in comparison. Too mid-rangy, almost like a bull horn and poor high frequency quality. Don't know why it's taken so long for me to come to this conclusion.

This is funny. But expected. I've never heard the 1001A, but I know they were on the lower end of the spectrum in their day, designed to hit an entry level budget. The Column II on the other hand, are serious Infinity speakers. They sold for $1,500 a pair in 1977 which is over $6,000 in today's dollars. I'm really enjoying mine. I also have their older brothers, the WTLC. Also a fantastic speaker, although it has a lighter touch. The Column II can get loud and are very impactful. But they can play delicately too. A great all-around speaker.

Back
Top Bottom