Coming out of "Lurk" mode

TeeDeeJr

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello & introduce myself. I've been a member for about a year, but haven't posted anything. I lurked around, read forums, got info, and found that indeed, there are very many friendly members on this site. I, alas, have yet to find anything to start my collection of vintage audio. I would love to find a nice Marantz 2270 or 2275 to base my system on. My year has been busy, and I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to searching for a receiver, but since I'm going to be a first time dad in January, I'm going to be in the market for a "REAL" home stereo. You see one of the fondest memories I have is, spending time in my parents living room, listening to my Dad's stereo system. He had a Kenwood receiver, a Marantz turntable, and a pair of massive Bose 501's. Needless to say, we jammed.:rockon: Anyway, I miss having all that music around, and don't want to deny my daughter the chance to make a memory for herself.
I'm sure I'll have questions in the future, but I know I'm in good hands with AudioKarma.:music:

Tyson

I have memories similar to yours of my Dad's music room. It's a great thing to pass along to your kids!

Welcome to AK and glad you have come out of lurker mode. I have a 2275 and love it. Its something that pretty much found me and it was love at first sight. A guy I work with was using it in his garage and decided to get rid of it and I was only to happy to help him out. It sounds awesome and has plenty of grunt to punch your windows out if you want it to. Cant speak for the 2270 but from what I read around here its another great unit.

Good luck

Welcome, Tyson, always great to see a lurker come out of the shadows!

Welcome.
You should tell us your location (or at least vicinity) because there are many here who would like nothing better than to get you started on your collection of vintage audio and just might have some gear laying around to do just that.

You NEED music (and it has to sound half way decent).

Welcome to AK, Tyson! :music: Nice avatar, BTW.

Find some local AK members - you may not be able to find any gear because someone is always beating you to the GW! :D

More info

Hey, Thanks for the warm welcome! Well, here's a little more info about myself.

I live near Baton Rouge, LA, and I got my first vintage solid state piece of equipment when I was about 7 or 8. It was a hand-me-down from my dad, when he upgraded his system. I don't remember the brand, but it was a receiver & 8-track combo, I think it had a black face, it wasn't a bpc, cause he'd had it since the early '70's.
I guess time moved on & by my early teens I needed something better. My dad suggested that we go to Radio Shack & put something on lay-a-way. Well that's what I did. I picked an all in one receiver, turntable, 8-track & cassette combo, and rode by bike there to make payments on it.
By the time I went to college, I had outgrown the Realistic & wanted something nicer. I had a decent summer job & saved for a JVC 100w receiver, a 6-disc changer & some Bose 201 book shelf speakers. Now I was in Heaven.:music: Alas, I moved into a small apartment on the ground floor and, coming home one Sunday night I found that I had been robbed. All gone!:tears:

Luckly, since I was still in college, I was covered by my parent's home owners insurance & I had good documentation of what was stolen, so I got most of my money back. I used it to get a larger TV & a VCR & replaced some cd's, I've never gotten another home stereo until now. It's been too long.
Tyson

Back
Top Bottom