Comment on the CD-X501i

1420-1503

This is my first impression of this cd-player which I only arrived yesterday night. I used my TOTL CD-X701i as a reference.

Firstly construction and feel.

although they both have similar design and the exact same lines, the TOTL player wins hands down due to better material.

The X701i is about 20cm longer and heavier.
The transport is made of full metal and is absolutely stable (you can touch the tray when open and it doesn't move up or down, or sideways).
That of the X501i is fully plastic and doesn't sit tight like the X701i. (it feels loose).

Now for the sound departement.

Now this is premature, but I noticed a muffled sound compared to her more expensively constructed sister. This was an A/B test using 2 exact same discs. I always came back to the one that was actually the 701i.
Now I didn't clean them so perhaps it's a bit premature, as the 501i could have a dirty optic lens, but neither did I ever clean the 701i.
I need to get a cleaning disc with a brush on it you know them.

So, if you want to have a taste of a Sansui cd-player, I advice you go for the 701i over the 501i, for the feel alone, althought it has the same lines, it is more elegant and riggid.

ps, when I'll have a digital camera I will try to make pictures to illustrate my little revieuws. :)

Last edited:
I discovered that the X501 player actually reads more kinds of CDRs then the X701, I don't understand this difference.

I'm going to buy a cleaning cd with a brush and hopefully it will improve the X701's performance.
There're also so called 'Carbon-active' cleansing cd's with special demagnetising effect for the lens, but they cost over €20 here and I don't know if they're worth the price over regular cleansing cd's, which sell for about €8.

Someone any idea?

The X501i right now seems to have an improved soundquality.
When I A/B with the X701i using the same cd, both connected to the sansui au-D9, the X501i now seems to have a warmer sound compared with to the X701i which has a slight harsch quality to it.
I hear a more focussed sound on the X501i with better bass.
Difference is not dramatic though. They seem to sound closer to eachother then my previous experience.

Perhaps nothing changed and it's just my imagination?
Anyhow, here's what did:

First off, I did an unsuccessfull mod by replacing the original plastic feets with my Tensai Turntable's rubber feets with very bouncing characteristics. I heard no change. And if there was it was probably for the worse.

Then I replaced the rubber feets by screws with the pointed side to the bottom. (I took my precautions though not to damage my other gear!)
But then I also cleaned the player with a cleansing cd.

Now I don't know what caused the improvement so I'm cleaning the other one and will compare again later.

But really no improvement with rubber feets, and this surprised me because they're very elastic and bouncy and I thought that was a good thing.

I have some time now so I'll post some pictures for you to see.

First off here's an internet foto of a local market cd-player Sansui built, look at the superior construction and components on this one!

cd-alpha907-in.jpg

-edit-

This is the alpha 907 cd-player

http://k-nisi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cd-alpha907.htm

Probably cleaning it was your best tweak,especially if it came from a smoker's house
You might want to check with Omer at Oz Enterprises(see vendor forum) for gutwire notebooks and some vibrapods to replace the feet.

Opt80

Originally posted by opt80
Probably cleaning it was your best tweak,especially if it came from a smoker's house
You might want to check with Omer at Oz Enterprises(see vendor forum) for gutwire notebooks and some vibrapods to replace the feet.

Opt80

It came indeed from a smoker's house, however I opened the unit today and it looks surprisingly clean, more so then my x701i.
There're alot of sony and toshiba components used in both players. The transformer (only 1 in each unit compared to 2 in the Alpha 907) is of course Sansui!

And because I'm not technically instructed, I have difficulties locating critical sections like the op amps, d/a convertor, and muting caps in the analogue section. etc.

Thankfully the X501 has a nice laid out board with section names printed in green. e.g. 'Power Supply','Digital Analogue','Logic Control' (whatever that is), etc.

Last edited:
Finally, original pictures of my Sansui CD-Players! (notice the handmade dean from Turkey :D)

Last edited:
They're good looking devices. The high gloss look showcases the dust very well though! It's not that I don't take care of them.

Last edited:
I don't know if it has any effect on the sound, but the 701i's has a sturdy metal tray compared to the 501i's and my Arcam alpha plastic trays.

I am 18+ and have no problems with nudies!!

Okay

here comes lady 501i!!

She has a cover that slides open

Last edited:
X701i is more subtle in her act. Her cover is sturdier and less resonant, it's not metal like the 501, it feels soft like some kind of vinyl material.

X501i nude..
The electronics are surprisingly clean, it looks still fresh from the factory.

I wonder what's the card on the right, standing up? It reads on top 'RF/Servo' and has sony and toshiba chips.

Curious to see her sister?

But I'm taking a break right now, the rest comes later!! Sorry But, Anticipation builds excitement!!!! :beer:

Last edited:
Here she comes

She has much more electronics then the 501. But there's no big sound difference? I don't know why. But I have to redo a listening test since I cleaned her lens now, as I did before with the 501.

Back
Top Bottom