Compact, Inexpensive Sub for Sony 55" Bravia TV

An example of an unqualified spec would be "This car goes from zero to sixty".

An example of a qualified spec would be "This car goes from zero to sixty in seven seconds".
Which is why I'm critical of Yamaha's listed spec of the Yamaha YST-fsw150.

An example of an unqualified spec would be "This car goes from zero to sixty".

An example of a qualified spec would be "This car goes from zero to sixty in seven seconds".

We had examples already of both, so I presume this is sort of a summary comment?

The Yamaha sub is technically unqualified since there is no published +/- spec, but the little frequency response graph in the owner's manual hints 30Hz is around -10dB.

The Paradigm is clearly listed +/-2dB 17Hz to 160Hz.

We had examples already of both, so I presume this is sort of a summary comment?.
Pretty much. Most people don't understand these graphs, only the ad copy, which can be misleading.

The concept didn't quite seem to be sinking in so a more visual, real-world, scenario sometimes helps get the point across.

Last edited:
Burying a graph in the owner's manual that is no where else on the Yamaha page, and not including the actual numbers anywhere. That may be good enough for you gentlemen, but for most people shopping, they can be easily fooled by such a ploy, and it of course pads Yamaha's bottom line. I think you're going to have to agree to disagree.

le bump.

i'm considering adding a compact/thin/flat/etc sub to my 5.0 setup, which is listed in my signature. I fully realize and accept a sub of this size and shape will compromise the low end response, but the form factor is a much bigger concern for me. This system is used primarily for PS4 games, television shows and films. I much prefer my 2 channel setup for music. I have also been a 2 channel luddite all of my 40 years, until getting this system put together last year. so, i'm still a noob to the digital/mutli-channel world.

my two caveats are:
-the space where my surround system lives does not really have a lot of extra floor space I want to sacrifice for a conventionally shaped cube sub, so am really interested in these compact subs, as many of them could fit under a few pieces of furniture we have in the space. i sit about 9' away from the screen and LCR speakers.
-I'm not really a bass-head and not truly sure I "need" a sub, but am curious how a modest sub like this might help support my system's current sound capabilities. i run my towers as full range, which are spec'ed to go down to 35hz.

the Yamaha YST-FSW150 has most of my interest, due to it's specific footprint and its alleged 30hz low end specs, which I realize that is probably hyperbole to some extent. I can control all of the sound parameters going to it via the Audessy system in my Marantz, so I like the Yamaha's simple features. I also like that it has a 12v trigger, which I imagine will still work with my Marantz 12v triggers?

Does anyone have any real experience with it? Does anyone think it's moderate low end capabilities would have ANY contribution to my current system?

Dayton/Theater Solutions/MTX/Focal all have compact powered subs as well, but I keep circling back to the Yamaha. None of the other offerings have as much of my interest.

I'm not committed enough to BASS to install an in-wall situation either. besides, my house was built in 1898, so don't want to deal with the hidden problems waiting to happen with that sort of fiasco.

Any thoughts or advice?

bump.

TL;DR: does anyone think a small compact sub will have ANY low frequency contribution to my Klipsch RP-250F towers run as full range?

IMO, if you want a "real" subwoofer the size of the woofer should be larger than what your main speakers have. Get at least a 10" sub. A 12" would be better.

Look into low-profile subs that can go under and/or behind a couch or other "wasted" space. Think outside the cube.

Obviously this is a case where multiple subs can be an advantage in that hiding two or more small subs can be easier than hiding one bigger one.

IMO, if you want a "real" subwoofer the size of the woofer should be larger than what your main speakers have. Get at least a 10" sub. A 12" would be better.
yes of course a "real" sub would provide "better" bass. that's not at all what I was asking. It's clear you didn't read either of my posts, but thanks for the reply?

Look into low-profile subs that can go under and/or behind a couch or other "wasted" space. Think outside the cube.

Obviously this is a case where multiple subs can be an advantage in that hiding two or more small subs can be easier than hiding one bigger one.
yes, that is why I am asking how would such a compact sub "contribute" to my full range Klipsch RP-250F towers. as stated in my long post, I have very limited space for a traditionally shaped sub, and am most interested in the compact Yamaha sub, yet have also been considering the Dayton, Theater Solutions, MTX... compact subs as well.

do you have experience with ANY of these subs? I realize bass enjoyment is "sub"jective, but would any of these compact subs contribute to my towers full range sound output?

do you have experience with ANY of these subs? I realize bass enjoyment is "sub"jective, but would any of these compact subs contribute to my towers full range sound output?

I have room for a furniture-sized (8 ft^3) sub so no direct experience with the low-profile units. It would seem to me that something like the Dayton Sub-1000L would make a reasonable contribution...a single 10" driver should have similar displacement to 4 5.25" drivers. The "extra" 100 watts of power available has to do something good. Parts Express has a very reasonable return policy so you can get one and give it a try and not risk more than return shipping costs.

I would grab a tape measure (or some empty amazon boxes) and start by figuring out how what will fit where.

Good luck!

yes, that is why I am asking how would such a compact sub "contribute" to my full range Klipsch RP-250F towers.
Well, considering those speakers consist of a pair of 5 1/2" drivers for their mid/bass region, probably quite a bit. Their advertised low end of 35 hz is optimistic at best.

Well, considering those speakers consist of a pair of 5 1/2" drivers for their mid/bass region, probably quite a bit. Their advertised low end of 35 hz is optimistic at best.
Thanks for your feedback. It's encouraging to imagine it making a good difference. I have never owned a sub, don't quite know what to expect from the compact jobs, but have been buy-curious lately. Har har

Haha good point about the optimism. The Yamaha is spec'ed to hit 30hz, which is probably similarly optimistic. Interestingly, it has the lowest Hz spec of all the compact subs I've been researching. I might pick up a second eventually, as my processor has two sub outs.

Prior to this surround setup, I ran the 250F's with my 2 channel, in a different room. When pulled away from the walls and near corners, the bass could be good... for what they are. I'm not really a bass guy, but the Forte's that replaced them are muuuch better.

Last edited:
I would grab a tape measure (or some empty amazon boxes) and start by figuring out how what will fit where.
The Yamaha is the perfect fit under my ikea hemnes(?) tv stand. It won't slide under, but will fit underneath. That Dayton is about 3/4" too deep for the same placement. Bummer!

If your looking for something small this sub has impressive bass for it's size: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJZETZ6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one for my surround setup on my screened porch and needed something this small to fit into a cabinet. I had a Klipsch promedia 2.1 so I knew what kind of bass you could get from a 6.5 inch sub. This isn't going to knock pictures off of walls but does give some decent bass at regular listening levels. This model is not available but there is a downward firing model for under $100 that most likely is the same in a different configuration.

Back
Top Bottom