Compare Sansui AU/TU 717 to comperable Pioneer/Kenwood receivers

ccawker

I hate to say this but i am trading my Sansui set-up just because they dont match the rest of my vintage system.I was wondering about the SX Pioneer receivers or the Kenwood KR receivers to be a fair trade.I have had a Pioneer SX1050 and loved it and also the Kenwood Model Eleven III,really loved that one.
Any advice????????

So sorry that i did not mention that my first choice was a Sansui receiver but hard to come by here in Minnesota

I am staying away from Marantz as i think they are somewhat overpriced.As i have heard many and cant see the 25 to 50% premium in price comparing features and wattage.

Last edited:
If looks is your main concern, you probably won't get much help here.
I was looking for a Sansui receiver here in Minnesota but cant find one,as i love the looks of them also,and i would have to get rid of mine before i could pay for one anyway,sad but true that no one wants to get rid of any Sansui stuff close to me

You could subscribe to AK ($25.00 per year) which gives you access to the barter town forum. Barter town is where members buy and sell from each other.

You could subscribe to AK ($25.00 per year) which gives you access to the barter town forum. Barter town is where members buy and sell from each other.
that sounds like a good idea,hmmmm,like an "audio only" craigslist.......thanks

@ OP , did you ever get your loudness switch issue figured out. Just curious what you came up with.
yup,i just had it on "on" for a couple hours and it went back............still an issue i suppose but,good.The local service guy(Alex Audio) is 3 months behind and i cant go without music for that long.

yup,i just had it on "on" for a couple hours and it went back............still an issue i suppose but,good.The local service guy(Alex Audio) is 3 months behind and i cant go without music for that long.
Well Barter Town is where to ask for an acceptable amp to use while the AU is in the shop. Maybe someone has one local and not too expensive that could hold you over and if you buy right can resell when the AU is fixed.

Well Barter Town is where to ask for an acceptable amp to use while the AU is in the shop. Maybe someone has one local and not too expensive that could hold you over and if you buy right can resell when the AU is fixed.
Hmmmmmmmmm,maybe where i would get it fixed the guy can give me a "rental" or loaner,good idea,thanks Blue Shadow.

I just have to ask. When you say it “doesn’t match the rest of your system”, what does that mean? Sound wise? Looks wise? I’m curious because I have never really heard of too many people selling or getting rid of that set-up. In fact I’ve heard more wanting that set-up rather than selling it. Has it been re-stored. If not you might have second thoughts after that has been done. I haven’t heard that amp, but do have several examples of Sansui, and I would have a real hard time letting any one of them leave here. I once sold a lowly 661 and wish I hadn’t. Oh well that’s all part of the learning experience and one mans opinion. I might add owning both amps and receivers, I doubt a receiver will out perform an amp. YMMV.

I do realize looks/sound and ergonomics do a play a part of the decision, but I also know that is a desirable amp. Good luck.

If you're not fussy, in regard to a "temporary substitute" while the Sansui is being repaired, you might check out the local thrift stores and pawn shops.

I've picked up several things at thrift stores. Got some synergistic research IC's the other day for the cost of a cup of coffee, at 7-11! I just gave my niece a Denon AVR that I got cheap. Nothing close to the sound quality of my Pioneer or Sansui, but decent sound for her needs. Thrifts are also a great place to find CD's, cheap!

I think most thrift stores will allow you to return things, for store credit only, if it doesn't work. Pawn shops "should" let you test before purchase.

I just have to ask. When you say it “doesn’t match the rest of your system”, what does that mean? Sound wise? Looks wise? I’m curious because I have never really heard of too many people selling or getting rid of that set-up. In fact I’ve heard more wanting that set-up rather than selling it. Has it been re-stored. If not you might have second thoughts after that has been done. I haven’t heard that amp, but do have several examples of Sansui, and I would have a real hard time letting any one of them leave here. I once sold a lowly 661 and wish I hadn’t. Oh well that’s all part of the learning experience and one mans opinion. I might add owning both amps and receivers, I doubt a receiver will out perform an amp. YMMV.

I do realize looks/sound and ergonomics do a play a part of the decision, but I also know that is a desirable amp. Good luck.
The rest of my system is more of the all silver stuff(Pioneer RT707 R to R,Cassette deck,no wood on my ADC 1700 TT) so the all black looks just "off".Now,i am 59 years old so my hearing is not what it once was so there is that.I am also running a pair of Klipsch Hereseys and KG4s with it so really any quality piece might sound good anyway.But i just listened to some "Euge Groove" just on my Hereseys and i might be rethinking this whole thing,lol.

If you're not fussy, in regard to a "temporary substitute" while the Sansui is being repaired, you might check out the local thrift stores and pawn shops.

I've picked up several things at thrift stores. Got some synergistic research IC's the other day for the cost of a cup of coffee, at 7-11! I just gave my niece a Denon AVR that I got cheap. Nothing close to the sound quality of my Pioneer or Sansui, but decent sound for her needs. Thrifts are also a great place to find CD's, cheap!

I think most thrift stores will allow you to return things, for store credit only, if it doesn't work. Pawn shops "should" let you test before purchase.
all of our thrift stores have an "in" guy who has him set on speed dial for these,never have i seen a quality piece in them

Back
Top Bottom