Comparing Kenwood receivers

Beeb

Hi Everyone,

i'm new to this forum, so hopefully my question is not ridiculous or outside the bounds of what's addressed here.

Basically, I'm looking to replace my Kenwood KR-6160, which recently bit the dust. I'd like something similar in style (if possible), and at least equivalent in quality, though I'd prefer more than anything to take a step up.

With that in mind, I'm trying to parse the differences between these various receivers that I've seen for sale. If anyone has any thoughts about any of them--especially how they compare to the KR-6160--I'd be interested.

Here are the receivers in question (all KR's) -- 100, 3090, 7070, 4200, 5200 and 6200,

BTW, I'm primarily using this to play vinyl. I have a Pioneer PL-2 turntable and B&W 683 speakers.

Thanks!

b

The KR-9400 is a big, well built receiver with tons of power.
I'm actually a little worried about the size, but it would probably be fine. FYI, I'm primarily concerned with the quality of the sound, especially the warmth that my old Kenwood brought to my vinyl. Though I do crank up my stereo, I rarely do so to club levels. In other words, I wouldn't necessarily need the power that one might want for a big party.

All things being equal, extra watts are good for dynamic transients and headroom. While you may have the capability to crank it up with less distortion, you won't need to to enjoy the presentation. We like more power. :D
Gotcha. So more power means better sound quality at all volumes. Thanks. Just wish I knew which of these Kenwood's is best. I don't want to take a step backward. And as much as I love the 9400, I fear it may go out of my budget.

Patience. If not this one, then another will pop up. I don't know what your budget is, but if spending an extra $100 will get you a noticeably superior unit, you'll appreciate you'd made the move in the long term. And usually, higher tier units have a better phono stage than lesser units, not to mention your 683s aren't on a diet and like to be fed clean watts. Having said that, don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with.

On a related note, I had mentioned the 9400 over the 9600, but not because of cost. The output transistors of the 9400 can easily be replaced -- with more modern transistors, even -- compared to the proprietary output transistors of the 9600. Just a data point...
This is extremely helpful, especially the info about the transistor differential beteeen the 9400 and 9600. One of the cons some stress to me about vintage is this very issue — the same one that’s made my 6160 unable to be fixed. With that said, I love both the style and substance of these vintage Kenwood’s, so screw the modern world.

Does anyone know how the Kenwood 5200 compares to the 6160? The style is similar, which I like, but I'd hate to take a step back in quality from the 6160.

I got the kr-5200. One of the more heavy units per power output I’ve seen. Built like a tank. 25lbs for 30wpc unit. I like the metal buttons on the 5200 and no slider. So, IMO, it looks better. The 6160 does have more power though, just too bad with the plastic buttons and plastic slider.

I got the kr-5200. One of the more heavy units per power output I’ve seen. Built like a tank. 25lbs for 30wpc unit. I like the metal buttons on the 5200 and no slider. So, IMO, it looks better. The 6160 does have more power though, just too bad with the plastic buttons and plastic slider.
Thanks. I’m at Goodwill now and see an Advent 450s with speakers for $40. Worth it as a backup system in small backyard office?

Back
Top Bottom