Comparing Sansui Eight and HK 930?

davstev

As I'm posting this in the Sansui forum, I expect a bias, but here goes...

Anyone care to offer their thoughts on comparing these two receivers- sonics, build quality, design/engineering? Or perhaps more generally compare the Sansui single digit series to the HK twin-powered series- 430/730/930?

Comparable receivers from the same era.

I have a lead on an eight and a 930.

Thanks!

That's a tough one. IMO the Eight is better built, but that series of HK sounds very nice. Every time I have had one here (never a 930 though) I really liked the sound.
I have never done a head to head with the Eight though.

Get both and sell the one you like least?

Rob

I agree the Eight (or other single digit series receivers) are better built.

The sound, to me, is really down to preference. The single digits I've heard (8D, Six) are punch, powerful sounding, clear/neutral.

The HK's I've heard (730, 330B, 900+) are cap coupled, so warmer, smoother, bit more laid back. Lots of people say these HK's go well with horns (like Klipsch) as they smooth out any harshness that might be there.

So I'd say it depends upon your speakers and sonic preferences.

I have a Six and 430, close in power at 29w and 25w respectively.

The Six is much better built, and heavier in the feel of the controls including indented bass and treble. It has more input options boasting two phono inputs, and has pre-out main in jacks.It also has a wood case and takes up less space than the 430.

The 430 has the twin power supplies looks great with all of its lights restored and has a strong, full sound. Routinely gets the better of my recapped 2220b. It is a lot more plasticy and has the black metal case. It has one phono input and no pre-out main in jacks. The aluminum portion of the face plate is very thin and prone to bending.

They both look great in their own way, but for sound I have to go with the Sansui, but its close. If I had to choose which to keep it would be the Sansui.

This is a great comparison, thanks. I think it can be said that the Sansui series has more options, is better built, and probably sounds better than the H/K series. I wonder if we could say that roughly speaking, 430=Six, 730=Seven, and 930=Eight, and in all of those cases, the Sansui wins out for sound? I once owned a 330c and it was a cute little receiver- average build, looked great, sounded great for what it was. I once owned a Seven and it sounded very good, but not extraordinary. Neither had been restored.

I have an Eight and a 730. They are both very nice sounding recievers. Very different as well. Which is better sounding? That depends on who is listening and what speakers they are hooked up to. The Eight has more power and a far superior phono. The 730 phono is not very good. Definately something to consider if you play vinyl.

I have an Eight and a 730. They are both very nice sounding recievers. Very different as well. Which is better sounding? That depends on who is listening and what speakers they are hooked up to. The Eight has more power and a far superior phono. The 730 phono is not very good. Definately something to consider if you play vinyl.
Thanks for this. I am a vinyl guy, so this is important! Eight has a nice phono stage, eh? I might recap it, just to get the best of it.

Back
Top Bottom