Comparison on current production 6SL7's

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by asilker, Oct 7, 2017.

1. maxhifi

maxhifi Super Member

I think the whole reissue thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt. For one thing, look at an RCA 6SL7GT made in 1945, versus one made in 1975. They're totally different looking, but same curves and performance.

There's no telling what tube new sensor actually copied, but I wouldn't be sure that the real Tung Sol had only one version of tube.

What I don't get is why someone doesn't license RCA and stick it on tubes. I know I'd eat that right up if I could buy new RCA tubes!

For what it's worth, I bought a big pack of 10 NOS Soviet 6SL7 equivalents off eBay for cheap, direct from eastern Europe, and have been using them in ally equipment which takes a 6SL7. I'm more than happy with them, no failures, no microphonics or distortion, just great sound at a low price.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. 6l6gmike

6l6gmike AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do have a pair of the Tung Sol new issue 6SL7's. I picked them a few years ago before the price went up. I am using them now in a home-brew phono preamp and I do like them better then the usual vintage 1980's reflector production 6sl7's.(which sounded good but not as good) I also saw that JJ is making 6sl7's and wondered how they would sound:idea: as I do like the JJ's 12a*7 tubes.

3. primosounds

primosounds AK Subscriber Subscriber

The CV181 is very pricey collector's tube and almost legendary along with ECC32,33. It is deceptive to just pretty up a 6sn7 in a different base and shoulder type bulb and call it a cv181. How can people fall for that ?

4. Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil AK Member Subscriber

Well, you don't buy the new Psvane CV181 to replace a vintage CV181 as it isn't fully compatible with the old tube. They are selling it as a replacement for a 6SN7 as it actually is a 6SN7 tube with CV181 lettering on it. Why they do this, I have no idea, except that maybe they can make it seem more exotic and jack up the price.

asilker likes this.
  5. primosounds

I believe that is true. Some of the tube guys in Asia are really into vintage gear and tubes and just having that cv181 imitation must mean a lot. As for me, if it is not the real thing why bother?

6. maxhifi

maxhifi Super Member

Same for those 6SN7s which look like a WE101D. I don't get it.

7. Destructor

Destructor Super Member

For me it's the box it comes in. If it sits in a box with pretty graphics and letters it performs much better than if it came in an old musty box.

Nutsfortubes, primosounds and asilker like this.
  8. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

Like those old Mullards that sometimes come in the original British cardboard YEUCH

9. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't use the type of tube you need, but I will say I have had good experience with the new Tung Sol 12ax7s. Those sounded nice, actually better than some old Baldwins I had been using. The newer Tung Sol and Sovtek seem to be the best of the bunch.

10. primosounds

Have you ever seen the Mullard 10M tubes? It comes in a purple and gold box that is about 3 or 4 times the size of the regular tube box and the tube or tubes if its a matched pair, are sitting nice and comfortable in a slab of foam. First class all the way. I am pretty sure that Mullard was the only ones to have such nice packaging for their tubes way back in those times.

11. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

I was being facetious - I have a GZ33 in original packaging and I love the old cardboard rolls