Compnents Off, Standby, or On

DogsPart2

I upgraded my system earlier this year (new Mcintosh Int and Linn DC player).

So far they have performed flawlessly and I turn them off when not in use.

2 Days ago, the CD player skipped and locked up on a CD I have not played in a long time. At the time, I attributed it to the CD. Yesterday, it happened again with a different CD. This time, I tried the CD in my old Denon changer and it worked fine.

I called the dealer who sold me the Linn and he told me higher end players read error correction differently and I should unplug the power cord to reset the Microprocessor. I followed his instructions and this seemed to do the trick last night.

This morning I fired up the system and I had to "reset" my Mac as it was not receiving a signal from the CD player or my DAT deck.

What gives? After months of trouble free use, I have a little concern.

Any suggestions? Is the fact the I am turning my components off after use, having and effect on them.

This sounds a bit more complex than the typical troubleshooting among components, and if it's in the black box peculiarities of the way a component was designed, then I'm in deep trouble.

Actually, I already do a lot of head scratching when something goes south, this would just make it a bit tougher.

Good Luck.

Any piece of gear that can be turned on by the remote is never really turned of as long as it's plugged in. If it has a hidden power switch that's the only way it actually gets powered off.

If your components have a "stand-by" ability, I would use that instead of shutting them down.

It worked for me when I was using my "Arcam Alpha 9" separates. Never an issue, and the units were ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom