Computer Digital Out to Onkyo 9050 line out into Fisher X-100B as a source?

NaiveMelody

Hello, Lately I have been using my old Onkyo 9050 line out as a component in for my Fisher X-100B. The Onkyo has a decent DAC and a lot of my listening tends to be digital. I have my mac sending an optical out to the Onkyo and then I use the Line Out option on the Onkyo to send it to my Fisher. Weird right? I know that I should probably just buy a separate dac and bypass the Onkyo all together but I already own it and would like to keep it for the future. I need to turn the Onkyo volume all the way down during playback (otherwise I get two sets of speaker going) but it actually sounds pretty great through the Fisher.

My questions are:
1. Is there any harm in running things this way?
2. Is the original digital signal ever seeing the Onkyo DAC or is it bypassed and then sent to the fisher?
3. Why on earth would someone do it this way? It seems so backwards. (I agree but I am trying to save money)
4. The volume seems much louder using this source than my turntable, it sounds good but is that hurting anything?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just get a moderator to move it. PM Tinkerbelle. She'll move it for you if you ask nicely, and say pretty please.......:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::music::music:

Back
Top Bottom