Computer Question.

Mr Natural

Malmborg in Plano
Ok all you Geeks out there........

I just replaced my 300Mhz P2 with a 800Mhz P3 (Dell).
Installed my 2yr old Yamaha CD-RW, set to slave as the oem CD player is master. Windows 98 2nd edition.
Upon bootup, the bois sees both on the first dos screen. However.......in the device manager, only the Yamaha is seen as a CD rom only:dunno: . the orig CD does not work and my CDRW will not record.

I am about to pull the yammie and reboot so only the oen CD rom will be recognized. Then I will install the Yamaha and rebott again in hopes it will correctly recognize it and all will be well.

Any thoughts on this...I need to burn stuff.

thanks.

Mr. Snatchural

On my system the Plextor CD-RW is master and the CD-R is slave. I did it this way because the burner needs to be master AFAIK for good burning results.

Rob

It shouldn't hurt to delete both of the drives in device manager then reboot. The computer should reinstall both of them on the next boot, maybe it will fix something, maybe it won't. I have seen it work in the past though.

You made need to go into the BIOS and choose which drive is master and slave also.

It shouldn't hurt to delete both of the drives in device manager then reboot. The computer should reinstall both of them on the next boot, maybe it will fix something, maybe it won't. I have seen it work in the past though.

Nope, doen't work. just the same thing keeps happening:no:

You made need to go into the BIOS and choose which drive is master and slave also.

This I will give a try :yes:

Natch:

I'd dump the old CD-ROM and just run the burner. Many old CD-Roms won't read CDs properly for burning on the fly, so why keep it around??

If you really want 2, go to Best Buy and grab a new burner for $19.99 after the rebates. They seem to be on sale every Sunday.

I believe it is best to install them on separate IDE lines so interference is minimal. Put your new one as a master on the secondary IDE, and your old one as a slave behind your hard drive on the primary IDE and that should allow you to read from one and write directly to the other. Check out the installation guide or google "dual CD burners", or something for more help.

Good Luck!

Andyman

That is what I forgot to put in my earlier post, what you suggested is exactly how mine are connected.

Rob

OK - dropped the old CD rom and made the burner the master. loaded the firmware from Yamaha and it still doen't recognize it as a CDRW :dunno: sees it in the bois in the bootup. :mad:

I am not sure that the device manager will ever show the CD recorder as a recorder. It doesnt show my Plextor CDR drive as a recorder on my system, it looks just like the CD rom drive. But when I run Nero or EZ CD Creator I select it as the recorder and it works fine.

Originally posted by Mr Natural
still doen't recognize it as a CDRW :dunno: sees it in the bois in the bootup. :mad:

What does that mean? Your burning software does see it as a recorder?? Do you see two CD in Windows Control Panel?

Can you READ a CD rom on it? If so, it looks to me like a software, not hardware issue; if it were hardware, I don't thnk it would read the CD-rom

But I only know enough to muddle through, so don't treat my suggestions as gospel, just above average tinkerer.

Let us know what happens

last time, i promise!!

ok

the device manager sees it only as a cd-rom. I will load Nero and try it out to see if it will burn.
yes, it reads all cd's.

I originally installed XP, but.........it wouldn't recoginze my older video board(32meg Viper), my optiquest drivers for my monitor or my SB500 audio board.

Maybe I should just trash it. :dammit: just saw a Dell for $500 w/flat screen. hmmmmmm:scratch2:

The "problem" with computers is that "vintage" has a totally different meaning in computing than it does for audio :(

Anytime you start with "vintage "computer equipment (and that's currently > 6 months old) and attempt to install "new" or "current" Micro$oft operating systems (and that's currently < 6 months) then you absolutely MUST visit the MS site for that OS and check the compatibility list.

It isn't sufficient to see a "works with" tag as that almost always means hours of screwing about with the manufacturer's drivers - it has to say "Certified for XP" or whichever OS you contemplating.

Many years of hard MS support (now approaching 20 years) has left me bemused but not amused.

Recently, I decided to add a new WebCam to my XP Pro system. I like Logitech so I bought a QuickCam Zoom - listed as "works with XP" on both the MS site and the box. Well it didn't work.

Unless you are damn lucky and have a very recent MB - forget it. 2 weeks of screwing around and I tossed it and bought a used Creative WebCam which IS listed as XP Certified. Worked instantly.

Paul

I'm a F**KIN' genious.....

I am not sure that the device manager will ever show the CD recorder as a recorder. It doesnt show my Plextor CDR drive as a recorder on my system, it looks just like the CD rom drive. But when I run Nero or EZ CD Creator I select it as the recorder and it works fine.

Thanx DonC.
Exactly what I did and it works perfectly!
thanx to all to help me down the path of enlightenment to burn more 60's music:p:

Natch

Back
Top Bottom