Computer sub and satellites

Tinitus

I want to make my own sub and satellite system to run off my soundcard. The Infinity and JBL powered subs I'm looking at have RCA line-in and a block for speaker-level in and out. I thought I could go from the soundcard to the line-in and run 2 5" bookshelf speakers from the speaker-out block, with the sub's amp powering the speakers. But after looking at the JBL's on-line manual, I don't think it will work.
Appearently, you have to run speaker-level in in order to use the speaker-level out. The signal goes through the sub without being amplified. Are all powered subs set up this way?

Is there a way to do what I want without using a separate amp for the satellites?

Bob

some soundcards have a small on-board amp, about 4-5 wpc, IIRC. I don't know if this will be sufficient for you, but you could then run the speaker out to your sats, and the line out to the sub. Otherwise, you need a small amp to power the sats. If you click on the Parts Express link at the bottom of the AK page, you might find something to your liking, to make your sats active, and the referral kicks back to AK. maybe a small plate amp, or integrated amp project, battery-powered? Mm :scratch2:

Computer Subs

Tinitus said:
I want to make my own sub and satellite system to run off my soundcard.
Bob

I use a Logitech sub and speakers off my computer that I bought for 39.99 and it is awesome, Audiophikle quality? No. . . but damn good. . . surprisingly good. . . comes with an 8in sub and uses its 20watt amp to drive the outboard speakers.

For that money and ease of hook up you cant beat it. . .

gyusher, I have the same setup. I used the $.87 pioneer 4" drivers from PE, and replaced the sats with MTM's, using the feed from the sub. Had to rig a new cable to the MTM's but sounds a lot better. IIRC, krimney had some KOSS M-80's or 85's, after which these were modeled.

I have a 2238B, EPI 50s, and an Arcam CDP, literally at arm's reach from this desk, yet my wife drops a CD in the computer drive to listen to music when she is e-mailing or surfing. "It's too much work to turn on all that stuff!" WTF?

Soundcards with built-in amps haven't been around for a while...anything you'd find will be an old ISA card with sound quality to make the worst Soundesign seem like audiophile by comparison. And if your computer is fairly new, it won't even have ISA slots.

All the computer-style sub -n- sat systems that I know of consist of three amps...one for the sub, and one each for the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom