Conceal and Carry Recommendations?

I agree with the several comments about .45's being on the heavy side, but I got so used to carrying them (not all the time, admittedly) on a job after 23 years that it was never an issue. Also, the OP (forgive me if I'm repeating a question already asked) states in his requirement that the weapon be ablt to be fitted with a tac light. Just wondering why? Simply because in a shoulder rig the chances of the weapon hanging up increases. Also, in serious response to those who suggest a 44 Mag, it's just not a very friendly choice for rapid fire, with the kick.

My CC pistol is the .45 Sig Sauer SP220. I have always preferred .45 caliber, and the 220 is a reliable and extremely accurate gun:thmbsp:

I agree with the several comments about .45's being on the heavy side, but I got so used to carrying them (not all the time, admittedly) on a job after 23 years that it was never an issue. Also, the OP (forgive me if I'm repeating a question already asked) states in his requirement that the weapon be ablt to be fitted with a tac light. Just wondering why? Simply because in a shoulder rig the chances of the weapon hanging up increases. Also, in serious response to those who suggest a 44 Mag, it's just not a very friendly choice for rapid fire, with the kick.

I discovered that a weapon-mounted light is not a requirement anymore, and I have not once carried in shoulder rig, although the new(ish) Viridian green laser sight/weapon light is quite a nice piece of kit. I find that a good leather holster for OWB works quite well for me, and when necessary I carry IWB.

I shoot a 9mm not because I can't handle larger calibers, but because I am better and faster with it. Doesn't hurt that 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .40 and .45. I've always got the .357 for when I feel the need ;)

I shoot a 9mm not because I can't handle larger calibers, but because I am better and faster with it. Doesn't hurt that 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .40 and .45. I've always got the .357 for when I feel the need ;)

And that is why after all these years I now have 2 1911's in 38 super. I love my .45's but. :thmbsp::smoke:

Do you reload for 38 super? I can't recall seeing much of it in stores around here, though I never actively looked for it.

I save a bunch by buying Berry's plated lead 230 gr .45 bullets in 1000 rd. quantity. Ends up being about $160/1000rd with powder and primers. I get all my brass free by cleaning up the local ranges :).

Have you looked into reloading, Inspiribomb?

Also, in serious response to those who suggest a 44 Mag, it's just not a very friendly choice for rapid fire, with the kick.

I shoot a fair amount of .44 spl outa my Anaconda. It's very controllable, but the beast just isn't a carry gun regardless. :no:

Do you reload for 38 super? I can't recall seeing much of it in stores around here, though I never actively looked for it.

I save a bunch by buying Berry's plated lead 230 gr .45 bullets in 1000 rd. quantity. Ends up being about $160/1000rd with powder and primers. I get all my brass free by cleaning up the local ranges :).

It is almost a given that if you shoot 38 super you load for it. As long as you can get your brass back it costs the same as 9mm to load.

If you want small and rust resistant......look for a Seecamp 32 ACP. But, they are as scarce as hen's teeth.

I've looked into it a little bit. For the calibers that I shoot (9mm and 5.56/.223), the cost benefit just isn't there. I am busy as it is, and would rather spend my time doing other things. Having said that, I could see getting into reloading for the sake of making my own target loads, and then proceed on to just making all my own ammo.

I've been looking into getting a 1911 as well - either the Springfield EMP or a Springfield Target Loaded in 9mm.

It's always good to have options...sounds like you have yours covered!

I've been looking into getting a 1911 as well - either the Springfield EMP or a Springfield Target Loaded in 9mm.

Bought this for my son for his 21st birthday in 2009. Sweet, isn't it?:thmbsp:

PX9151LP.jpg

Last edited:
While not a carry piece a local guy has put something up for sale I want. I have competed in 3 gun matches and some USPSA but always in the production/limited category. I may pick this up for a song. :smoke:

Attachments

• 38 super.2011.jpg
    38 super.2011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 15
I saw a 3 or 4" S&W Model 500 at the gun shop I hang around at...That would be a pretty good carry piece....Bet the fire would fly outta the end a good foot or so....(grin) Seriously, I've heard those Seecamps are The Business for inconspicuous carry guns...Last time I checked they were $800 & had a years' wait on 'em...

Speaking of CCW,

A Montana driver makes a rolling stop at a stop sign, and gets pulled over by a local policeman. The driver hands to the officer his driver's license and insurance verification, plus his concealed weapon carry permit.

"Okay, Mr. Smith," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you got."

Smith says, "Well, I've got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range...?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of....?"

"Not a goddamned thing..."

This is my preference. Ruger SP101 3.25"bbl in .357. I call it the Jimmy Durante model. It is also available in 2.5". I replaced the grips on mine with the formed Hogue grips as the stock grips are really sized for hobbits.

RugerSP101hand2blk.jpg

The loud noise of that 357 round is pretty good for scaring off anyone, but remember, in your living room it will leave you completely deaf for a few minutes. I ususally keep it loaded with .38+P Hydrashocks.

Make sure you can real shot someone to DEATH. Kill them cold....then live with it. It is so easy to say "yah, I'd blow the F#$%er away if he...." But to do it and then live with it, is a differnt story. It's not something that goes away....EVER.

To do it is most likely easier than the second part.

There was a restaurant/bar owner whose business was a block from my home in Denver. He and his partner carried all the time while on the job. He was invloved in an incident in a Blockbuster parking lot. I believe some sort of argument over parking or a dingged door or whatnot. It escalated, a lead pipe was procured and then shots were fired. The man with the pipe was killed and his wife injured in the gunfire. The bar owner was cleared of any wrongdoing, although there was some question as to whether or not his actions were justified.

Regardless, I went into the bar about 6 months after the incident and he was a changed man, at least physically. His face had literally aged 30 years. Kind of like those 'faces of meth' before and after photos. He looked broken. I doubt he will ever be the same.

...Regardless, I went into the bar about 6 months after the incident and he was a changed man, at least physically. His face had literally aged 30 years. Kind of like those 'faces of meth' before and after photos. He looked broken. I doubt he will ever be the same.
Bottom line: He was ALIVE.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back
Top Bottom