Concept or Traveler? Need help making a decision

EastBayBill

Hey All,

I am new to member to this forum, but I have been reading other threads for quite some time and they have been helpful to me in the past. I have a new dilemma I would appreciate some input on. I have about $2000 to spend to upgrade my turntable. I currently have a Music Hall MMf 2.2 and want to upgrade to something that is much more durable and that I will be able to keep for years. I think I have narrowed things down to: VPI Traveler vs. Clearaudio Concept.

I recently listened to both at a local hi-fi shop. Both sounded awesome and I am truly torn. I like the VPI because it felt to be made of much higher quality materials than the Concept. (But maybe I am wrong?) Also, new VPI replacement motors and parts seem to be easier to obtain than the Concept, so that was another plus for me. I don't want to spend $2000 and have the motor die out in five years with few options at replacing it. However, I have heard problems about the VPI tonearms.

In regard to the Concept, I liked its crisp and detailed sound. I think it might also compliment the receiver I will be playing it through (see below). On the negative side, I heard problems about the Concept being overly sensitive to foot falls and I am not interested in doing some kind of wall-mount job.

Whatever table I end up getting, I will be playing it through a vintage Marantz 2240 with my refurbished Advent floor speakers. I know this mixing of "new/vintage" make some people cringe in here, but I don't have the cash right now to purchase a whole new system. My Marantz is in top shape and sounds great to me. The sound of my system right now is on the "warm and bass-y" side, which is fine with me. However, I don't think I want to get additional bass from my turntable. This is why I am thinking the Concept might be a good compliment to it.

So, I would appreciate hearing from folks who currently have either of these tables and what your experience is with them (positive and negative). Again, I am new to the audiophile world and would appreciate hearing any words of advice. Thank you in advance.

I have owned both and prefer the Traveler. It is more dynamic and articulate sounding. The Concept was to soft for my taste. The key words here are, "for my taste" yours may be different......

I cringe at the thought of spending 4 figures on a tt. Came real close a few times and ended up buying a nice pre amp and can load the cartridge any way I like. Made the turntables just like Jekyle & Hyde. Better than rolling tubes.

I have owned them both as well. Also own the Rega RP6 and my preferences for sound quality in order are:

1) Rega RP6
2) Clearaudio Concept
3) VPI Traveler

Exactly the same order for build quality. For convenience I would rank the Traveler ahead of the Concept (anti skate adjustment on Concept is under the table) as Concept is hypersensitive to footfalls and vibration.

BTW, I bought the Clearaudio and VPI tables for exactly your stated reasons. Turns out they were throw aways compared to the Rega. Literally.

I've had a Concept for 2.5 years now, so I can make a few comments:

- If you get it, get it with the Concept MC right out the gate. I got mine with the Concept MM, then later used a Benz Gold, and the synergy the MC cart has with its namesake table is incredible, I've had this cart for a year now and the combo still gives me goosebumps.

- I used it in three rooms in two homes, and decided footfalls are location specific. If you have it somewhere footfalls will be a problem its pretty much game over in that location. But in the other two places I had it, I could jump up and down next to it with nary a problem.

- The tonearm is kind of weird IMO. Not in a way that detracts from the sonics, but the way it floats with the magnetic bearings makes even twisting the counterweight kind of odd, hard to explain. I let the dealer handle it.

Last edited:
I would strongly consider a Marantz TT-15, at $1500 from Music Direct. It's basically a Clearaudio table made for Marantz, with an excellent Clearaudio MM cartridge (Virtuoso) that sells for $900 separately, and is as good as they say it is. I just got one about a month ago, and am knocked-over!

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7273-marantz-tt-15-acrylic-turntable.aspx

picture.php

picture.php

At the price of the Scout there is also the Well Tempered Simplex which is the best sounding of the bunch, in my opinion.

I have owned them both as well. Also own the Rega RP6 and my preferences for sound quality in order are:

1) Rega RP6
2) Clearaudio Concept
3) VPI Traveler

Exactly the same order for build quality. For convenience I would rank the Traveler ahead of the Concept (anti skate adjustment on Concept is under the table) as Concept is hypersensitive to footfalls and vibration.

BTW, I bought the Clearaudio and VPI tables for exactly your stated reasons. Turns out they were throw aways compared to the Rega. Literally.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that you rank the RP6 over the Concept and Traveler for both sound and build quality. I was initially interested in checking out the RP6, but the dealer at this hifi shop said they didn't carry Rega because the quality is below the Clearaudio and VPI. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about? I might have to go to another shop to check out the RP6.

I would definitely get the VPI Scout.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered the Scout, but I'm not sure how I feel about the detached motor. Do you have the 1.1 version of the Scout? If so, how does it compare to the first incarnation?

The shop I went to had the first model with acrylic platter on the demo floor but I didn't give it a listen. I could probably get out the door with that for about $2100, but I need to check it out again.

If we are getting into Scout territory, what other models are comparable to it in that price range? Or is it by itself essentially in that category?

Thanks for the info. Interesting that you rank the RP6 over the Concept and Traveler for both sound and build quality. I was initially interested in checking out the RP6, but the dealer at this hifi shop said they didn't carry Rega because the quality is below the Clearaudio and VPI. Maybe he didn't know what he was talking about? I might have to go to another shop to check out the RP6.

I'd second Art's opinion. I had a Concept that was defective, and I returned it for a Rega RP6. The Rega sounds amazing, and the build quality is great. I'm currently listening to Nick Drake's "Five Leaves Left". I've been up about 30 minutes and I had to get a record on...

I love the Rega so much that I am seriously considering a Rega Brio-R and RS3 speakers to compliment it.

LP gear had new Scout 1.1's for $1500. I bought my brand new Scout 1.1 for $1600 in April from another vendor, on discount sale.

I'd follow Art's advice on this on - otherwise I'd skip straight to a Classic and not look back. You should also consider VinylNirvana for a beautiful Thorens.

You can also get a used P5 for about half of what the RP6 is selling for if you look around a bit. I think the RB700 tonearm alone is worth what I paid for my P5 a month or two ago.

You can find a Scout for substantially less than $2100 (assuming you are in the US). I would go with a Scout for the following reasons:

1. The tonearm allows for adjustments that others do not and it has a dedicated grounding cable. The grounding cable can be very useful and save you lots of headache (I spent hours trying to get a Rega deck to stop humming). Maybe the Concept has this as well, I'm not sure.

2. The pulley allows for some fine tuning of speed. Not as much as classic broadcast decks, but most tables at this price have no ability to do so.

3. Can get an extra arm wand if you want to use a dedicated mono cartridge or a cheaper MM or whatever. These can be found second hand for reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom