Concept or Traveler? Need help making a decision

I'd follow Art's advice on this on - otherwise I'd skip straight to a Classic and not look back. You should also consider VinylNirvana for a beautiful Thorens.

Since you mentioned VinylNirvana, I will pose the question: would you take a refurbished TD 125 or TD 160 from VinylNirvana over a brand new VPI Traveler? And if so, why?

I am asking because I was initially thinking of trying to find a "mint" Thorens, but then thought that my money would be better spent getting a new table in the $1500+ range. I'm about to be a new dad and won't have a lot of extra time for fixing my machine, so that's why I was thinking of going new vs. vintage.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased a Thorens from Dave. How is it working for you?

Not that it's the be all end all, but what are wow and flutter like on the Marantz? (or hopefully the lack of it) No specs on that. I remember the Traveler boasting some of the best specs on this in the last while.

I don't notice any wow or flutter on mine, fwiw.

Here are the specs, from the manual:

Turntable section
RPM ................................................33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm
Drive system ..........................................Belt drive system
Turntable ............................................High density acrylic
Turntable depth ......................................................28 mm
RPM deviation .......................................................±0.2 %
S/N ratio ...................................................................80 dB

Tone Arm section
Arm type ........................................2 point radial tone arm
Effective length………………………………………………239mm
Overhang ……………………………………………………….17mm
Stylus pressure adjustable range ....0-5g(1 Graduation = 0.1g)
Compatible cartridge weight ......33-18g (excluding head shell)

Included Cartridge (Clearaudio)
Frequency response...................................20Hz - 20 kHz
Output voltage (1kHz, 5cm/s)............................ ̃ 3.6 mV
Channel separation ............................................ > 30 dB
Channel balance..................................................< 0.2 dB
Recommended stylus pressure................................ 2.2 g
Impedance ............................................................0.66 kΩ
Cantilever ………………………………………………….Aluminum
Cartridge weight ....................................................... 6.0 g

General Specifications
Power supply ............................................AC120V, 60 Hz
Power consumption .....................................................5W
Dimensions....Width 440mm x depth 350mm x height 110mm (Excluding tone arm)
Net weight ......................8.9kg(including tone arm/motor)

I am liking the cartridge even more with a new phono preamp - the C1000 was hobbling it a bit. First MM I've run in years...

:music:

The TD125 & TD160, are better turntables , Rega ,QC being what it is , I would not recommend. If you decide to go new, then the 3 t/ts that stand out are
VPI Scout , VPI Traveler , Sota Moonbeam

Last edited:
I've got a Traveler and I love it. I'd go with it just for the tonearm. The only upgrade I will ever make is if a great deal on a WTA comes along.

I've had my Traveler for going on two years. Sound fidelity and tracking are awesome. It' a heavy turntable, around 25lbs. It's made in New Jersy. Mine is version 1.1. This is different than the current model. Main difference is the motor, quartz controlled on the new version, not on my version.

The thing I don't like is the difficulty in changing cartridges. I can't do it properly without removing the tonearm. Other owners can change carts without removing the arm. Your mileage may be different .......or not. BTW the arm is designed to be removable and height adjustable.

There is no anti-skating. VPI Mat Weisfeld feels it's not needed with the 10" tonearm.

The table itself is very well (USA) made. Quiet as hell. Hum free. The tonearm is a work of art.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what the OP bought as it has been a while. Myself I would have went w the rp 6 or Thorens. For vpi it would be a Scout.

Relative to the Traveler...unfortunately mine was everything but quiet and though heavy it was not well made...I guess it would depend on which month or which version of a version they were making when you bought it. Problem with the Traveler is that it was released before it was a fully realized product. It underwent revision after revision. Not just the official ones but other changes on the fly. Check your new MD catalog..no Traveler. Their entry point now appears to be the Scout Jr (besides the Nomad). I happily moved on and now enjoy a Rega RP6.

Like my Traveler a lot. The depth of the soundstage, the lack of any noise that I can hear no matter where the volume is set, the solidity and extension of the bass for a turntable in this price range is outstanding. The "on the fly" VTA lets me dial in the best a particular cartridge/stylus combo has to offer.

I have used 4 cartridges on The Traveler, it has let each cartridge show it real merits or lack thereof. In other words, a $50 cartridge sound like a $50 cartridge with its built in limitations, and lets a $200 cart sound like the designers intended. The tonearm really likes Line Contact styli.

I want to say one more thing about the Traveler. After owning mine for two years I've grown to like it. But I'm not recommending it to anyone. I am not dissuading anyone from buying it either. The reviews I've read have been mostly glowing. There are others that do not like this table. Mine has been solid as a rock. Others claim to have problems. But I've read the same about other tables like the Concept. Many dealers have a return policy so you can try it then return it if you don't like it.

Wonder which table has a better arm?

And if that's too subjective, which arm is more expensive?

I want to say one more thing about the Traveler. After owning mine for two years I've grown to like it. But I'm not recommending it to anyone. I am not dissuading anyone from buying it either. Mine has been solid as a rock.

Much like Jim I have grown to appreciate the positive attributes of the Version 1.1 It is has been great all except for the one problem I had , that was my fault. But also like Jim I won't recommend or tell someone not to own one. The reason for me is the lack of prompt customer service from VPI. Still feel I was treated like a unwanted stepchild, when I told them I bought it used.

Wonder which table has a better arm?

And if that's too subjective, which arm is more expensive?

I've owned all three tables and I wouldn't hesitate in saying that the RB303 is a better are than either of the other two. All three tables sound great. For sound I would take the Concept or RP6 over the VPI.

Back
Top Bottom