Confidence in foreign language skills

I'm quite okay so far, thanks.

Maybe just another cute cosy nice little burnout. There is no reason for concern. Need a little break. So no further posts for now apart from Birthday threads.

Last edited:
I'm quite okay so far, thanks.

Maybe just another cute cosy nice little burnout. There is no reason for concern. Need a little break. So no further posts for now apart from Birthday threads.
Okay. We all need a break now and then. Don't stay away too long though, and stay in touch.

I love Laurel & Hardy. I love them since I was a kid. For a couple of years I have had a Laurel & Hardy dvd box named "The Collection".

I really appreciate Oliver's elegant mode of expression. But sometimes his pronunciation does confuse me a bit, for example when he is - in a way - saying: "Stan, you get on my noives!" Is this a sort of British accent?

Last edited:
As I mentioned several times in this forum I never speak English, not a single phrase. I spoke some English more than thirty years ago in school but one can forget that. Recently I wrote Ilikevinyl that it would be so embarrassing to me if I had to talk to him instantly, right now, not a single word could leave my mouth.

Last month I visited my 22 year old son who is attending college in Machida, Japan. He only spoke English from birth until a couple years ago when he started picking up some Japanese (compliments of playing video games with other folks worldwide). He then taught himself enough Japanese in order to test out of a basic Japanese college level language course, and is now formally continuing to learn more of the language at school.

Anyway, when we were visiting with him, he would speak Japanese with those around him, then would switch to English when he spoke with us. It went smoothly for the most part, but at one point he couldn't think of a word he wanted to use in English.... and was struggling to recall. He said somewhat under his breath "English is -hard-". Makes me wonder what his English would be like if he stayed there for another 6 months..... a year, ...... 5 years ......?

If we are "forced" to learn a foreign language, for example because of a longer stay abroad, language skills most likely could turn out to a quality we never considered being possible. A six weeks stay (preferably together with a close AK member) in the United States could break my mental block for sure...

Last edited:
I love Laurel & Hardy. I love them since I was a kid. For a couple of years I have a Laurel & Hardy dvd box named "The Collection".

I really appreciate Oliver's elegant mode of expression. But sometimes his pronunciation does confuse me a bit, for example when he is - in a way - saying: "Stan, you get on my noives!" Is this a sort of British accent?

It's a New York City accent. Polyglot influences.

Oliver Hardy was born in Harlem--Harlem, Georgia. His New Yawk accent elements would be affectations for comic purposes.

Last edited:
It's a New York City accent. Polyglot influences.

Oliver Hardy was born in Harlem--Harlem, Georgia. His New Yawk accent elements would be affectations for comic purposes.

Thanks, Sir!

Thinking about your reply I realize and remember that Stan is the British gentleman, not Oliver. Stan was born in Ulverston.

Just encountered the word "party pooper" somewhere in the forum again. This seems something to be like "spoilsport", in German "Spielverderber".

However, party pooper sounds pretty rude to me (maybe I am too sensitive, as an AK member claimed recently, well, I am how I am), but such a word - literally translated - could never exist in the civilized use of German language.

Doesn't this word, or better: expression - does it actually not sound rude to some of you as well?

Last edited:
Just a case of multiple slangy definitions - poop also means to exhaust - the phrase "poop out" means to become very tired or exhausted. Also, even a little more slangy, poop can mean "information" - "What's the latest poop?" Both usable in a family friendly newspaper or other writing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your clarification, Sir.

My dictionaries seem to be very poor linguistic tools, sometimes I suppose that they do not even cover half of a lively language...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom