Confused between bookshelf and floor standing speakers

Only the OP can decide what he likes. My suggestion is to go and listen to as many speakers as possible. Just don't listen to what people suggest on any forum.

Well his OP was so vague I dont know just what he is asking about.

I think you will not get an objective answer...maybe subjectively objective one at best.

Let your own ears do the deciding.

Then there's the depth of the pockets to contend with, after you check out what's out there and the range of cost.

Take into consideration to a degree, the type of music you most listen to?

Q

If you are concerned about size remember that bookshelf speakers on a stand take up as much of a footprint as a floor standing speaker

One man's best is another man's worst, be it speakers, amps, preamps, speaker wires, RCAs, ad infinitum. Botrytis gave the truest, most correct answer to your question "there is no best, only what you like".

"The Best" is whatever YOU decide it should be.

We all hear, and listen differently so what I may think sounds great, you may not and thats just fine.

When you add in the other factors such as budget, WAF, listening space and listening habits/preferences there is only one best, what's best for YOU.

The OP asked, and I think it is safe to assume that book shelf speakers are usually used where lack of space or desire for a smaller less obtrusive speaker is needed. For the most part, they are a compromise which usually lacks the ability to reproduce the lower frequencies. In the past sub woofers were not that common but when Home Theater systems became popular subs become more common which helped to close the gap between smaller speakers on stands and floor standers capabilities to offer a full range.

When it comes to a small space book shelf speakers will often be enough to keep most people happy as the volume of the room is small enough that a book shelf speaker will offer plenty of db's of SPL. A larger listening space a book shelf speaker might not offer what you want as you might need or want a speaker that can push more air.

While I see many post claiming that best is what you decide, well I say what you like best, might not really be best, perhaps it is enough to keep you happy, but their are less capable, and more capable, or ok, and better.

Some people have less requirements than others.

If you are concerned about size remember that bookshelf speakers on a stand take up as much of a footprint as a floor standing speaker
I think the value lies incorporating subwoofers where you can optimize the low/high pass xover settings and level to match the room acoustics along with providing separate amplification to isolate potential clipping at the bottom with affecting anything above.

While I use eight foot tall electrostats as mains in the HT, they similarly benefit from using powered subs for the bottom two octaves.

True .. but if you plan on owning/swapping multiple sets of speakers over time .. floor standers take up more space than bookshelves in storage. Bookshelves can be vertically stacked on multi level shelves.

Back
Top Bottom