Connect a graphic equalizer to a preamp

Da He Hua

I am showing two pictures: one is the back of the graphic equalizer and the other the back of the preamp. My question is very basic: how to connect the two? Thank you.

Attachments

• C9001076-16C7-4C47-B68C-168D3CA7E382.jpeg
    C9001076-16C7-4C47-B68C-168D3CA7E382.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 003AF2B0-239B-471E-8BE4-070C74B66054.jpeg
    003AF2B0-239B-471E-8BE4-070C74B66054.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 209
Out Put on the EQ.
Ext Unit, Aux, and Tuner should all work for inputs.on the preamp. Those will all accept a line-level signal.

Out Put on the EQ.
Ext Unit, Aux, and Tuner should all work for inputs.on the preamp. Those will all accept a line-level signal.
Right now I use Exit Unit Output to connect to a power amp, so you are saying I can use Exit Unit Input to connect to a graphic equalizer? I just need one pair of RCA cables? Somehow I thought I need two.

Sorry, I'm kind of mixed up this afternoon. :rolleyes:
I assume you want to hook up the EQ between the preamp and the power amp.
Yes, you'll need two sets of RCA cables to do that.
1) Use the power amp input for the EQ, instead of for the preamp. Connect it to the EQ output with one set of RCA cables.
2) Use the output on your preamp and connect that to the EQ input with the other set of RCA cables.

That's the way I would set things up if it were my gear.

Although there is some debate about this, using the tape monitor loop on the preamp (for a number of technical reasons) can in some situations provide a better signal to noise ratio.

The output of the EQ would connect to the tape input of preamp, The input of the EQ would connect to the tape output of the preamp.

Then you select the cosponsoring tape monitor function on the preamp. The EQ can be bypassed if the tape monitor function is not selected.

If you need to use all of the inputs on your preamp, including all of the tape inputs (if you have that many sources) then you can connect the EQ between the preamp and the power amp, with a possible reduction in signal to noise ratio (possible increase in background noise).

A lot of EQ manufacturers recommend using the tape monitor loop of the preamp. That is why they replicate the tape monitor on the EQ. It is to replace the used tape monitor on the preamp.

Again, it is about maintaining the best signal to noise ratio (the least added noise).

Although there is some debate about this, using the tape monitor loop on the preamp (for a number of technical reasons) can in some situations provide a better signal to noise ratio.
Shouldn't be any debate on this. The line level signal is higher voltage than the typical signal going to the power amps and this means the noise floor of the EQ will be lower handling this higher signal than if the eq is wired between the pre and power.

Based on what is shown in the pics,
Preamp REC OUT to EQ IN PUT
EQ OUT PUT to Tape deck PLAYBACK.

Select the tape deck based on ease of switching or what other gear you have hooked up and the ability to put one tape signal to the other tape outs (so you can eq a tape playback).

I LIKE MUSIC got the reasons and uses right.

Shouldn't be any debate on this. The line level signal is higher voltage than the typical signal going to the power amps and this means the noise floor of the EQ will be lower handling this higher signal than if the eq is wired between the pre and power.

Based on what is shown in the pics,
Preamp REC OUT to EQ IN PUT
EQ OUT PUT to Tape deck PLAYBACK.

Select the tape deck based on ease of switching or what other gear you have hooked up and the ability to put one tape signal to the other tape outs (so you can eq a tape playback).

I LIKE MUSIC got the reasons and uses right.
I am still confused about what to select on the front panel. Say I am playing a record. The for input selector on the front, I select phono. But that means the EQ is being bypassed right, because tape is not selected?

All inputs go to the Tape Outputs
(of course the tape positions would depend on the preamp and the switch positions but you don't have anything except the eq plugged into the tape inputs so don't concern yourself with that)

Since ALL inputs phono tuner and aux go to tape output, then getting eq is as simple as selecting the tape that the eq is plugged into. Then the signal goes from phono to tape output to eq to tape input to volume control with the eq.

But wait you have an ext input on your preamp. Here is the MAJOR PROBLEM with Lots of Folks on AK. They do not Tell US what They have. Without the front panels we have no idea of the flexibility of the unit nor how switching is done for the tape dubbing and ext unit inclusion in the signal path. For this reason, without the model numbers and the front panel pictures, I'm out and you are on your own with the other 275000 AK members to figure this out.

It take two steps. First step select the source such as phono or aux. Then select the appropriate tape monitor on the preamp (where the EQ is connected).

The signal from the selected source is then routed out of the tape out connections on the preamp to the input on the EQ. The EQ does its thing and the output of the EQ is routed to the tape input of the preamp.

Understand this: The tape monitor output and input (tape monitor loop) is immediately after the input selector and before the volume control. It is activated through a button (or switch, whatever) labelled as such on the front panel. All selected inputs go through them.

To get the best from your equalizer I suggest using the tape monitor loop.

1) Connect the tape monitor output to the equalizer input.

2) Connect the equalizer output to the tape monitor input.

3) To use the equalizer, push in the tape monitor button to activate the tape loop.

4) To take the equalizer out of the circuit, press the tape monitor button again to deactivate the loop.

Don't worry. It'll all make sense once you get used to it. We all gotta strat somewhere.

It take two steps. First step select the source such as phono or aux. Then select the appropriate tape monitor on the preamp (where the EQ is connected).

The signal from the selected source is then routed out of the tape out connections on the preamp to the input on the EQ. The EQ does its thing and the output of the EQ is routed to the tape input of the preamp.
And with this technique it's just the push of a button on the pre to compare with/without equalizer in line with the signal. When you connect this way I suggest you make the comparison first with all of the controls flat IE: no equalization and see if the sound from the speakers is altered, positive or negative just by adding another piece of equipment in the signal path. This should let you know before adding equalization if it will be detrimental to the soundstage etc.

And with this technique it's just the push of a button on the pre to compare with/without equalizer in line with the signal. When you connect this way I suggest you make the comparison first with all of the controls flat IE: no equalization and see if the sound from the speakers is altered, positive or negative just by adding another piece of equipment in the signal path. This should let you know before adding equalization if it will be detrimental to the soundstage etc.
Wow!!! Thanks everyone for all this free information and help! This is hugely useful. I think I am starting to understand.

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a CX-1000 Yamaha preamplifier and a MX-1000 Yamaha amp and after reading through all of this, It looks as though there is only the preout option for hooking up my EQ-500 Yamaha equalizer. I understand the cable routing you folks have described in the tape loop but i am not sure if i have the switching capability on my preamp. I am a little frustrated and would greatly appreciate everyone's input on how to do the switch selection on the front panel of my CX-1000 so the equalization is done through the tape loop instead of the preout. Looking forward in hearing back and have a good evening.

Looks like that Yamaha has 2 "normal" tape loops.
Run the EQ in one of those (using the dial selector in back of the door flap) and then use "input selector" push button bar to select the device you want to listen to?

To the previous replies, the CX-1000 only has a record out selector with no monitor button. I did hook it up by using the line out / line in on the equalizer to tape in / tape out on the pre but no response after switching on the record out selector. I am guessing the preout option is all the more choice I have but heard through other threads that is non recommended.. It does not show how to hook an equalizer in the manual either unless I am overlooking something, I will have to call up Yamaha to see if they would know.

Know this is an older thread, but thought I'd give it a shot, because I have a similar issue, though it's a bit different. I have a nice tube preamp that has only a volume control and no tape outs, but it does have two pre outs. Want to connect an outboard graphic EQ. What do you think is best soundwise, before the pre amp, between my CD player and the preamp, or between the pre and power amp. I am only running one device, so I don't care if the EQ is applied to all the premp inputs, which I know it will do if the EQ is between the pre and power amp. Any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom