Connect EQ Expander Reverb to Preamp

xlbee

PIONEERFREQ
Subscriber
I've been a member of Audiokarma for a few years now and a topic that I see come up fairly often is "How do I connect my EQ, expander, reverb unit and tape machine to my preamp?".

As with all things there are different ways to accomplish this. I've created this post in the hopes of trying to provide some guidance and to generate some discussion with regard to the pros and cons to different methods. Since I spend most of my time in the Pioneer forum, I've chosen to post this here.

I have attached a connection diagram for your consideration.

An example of the pros/cons issue would be:
- In Option 1, your source signal is always routed through your tape device but operating your tape device is simpler.
- In option 2, tape device operation is more complicated but your source signal is traveling through fewer devices.

Attachments

• System Connections.jpg
    System Connections.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,044
Last edited:
Ok, I updated the drawing with Rec/Play labels based on a question I received in another thread.

Questions/comments/suggestions other connection methods?

Chime in!

I never hooked mine up this way but realize Option 2 is the most logical.
Since you use a tape in/out it gets replaced on the add on unit.

There was confusion in another thread when I tried to use the term "amp" generically. Since I've never owned pre-amp/amp combos, I think in terms of receiver = "amp".

A set of drawings with the Preamp replaced with Receiver and no separate Amp may help some folks.

An alternate method that I use is to take the OUT of one part to the IN of the next. It takes about half the cables. Then use the EQ/Reverb/Expander ON/OFF "function" (not power) switch to cut the unit in or out but keep the others in the chain. In the method you show, turning the tape monitor off, shuts off the rest of the units. So on your drawing, at EQ, you cut out both expander and reverb. It doesn't allow isolation.

Rough "drawing" of the method I use.
Source OUT->IN EQ OUT->IN Reveb OUT->IN Expander OUT -|
^IN---------------------------------------------------|

There are also source units (receiver/pre-amp/etc...) that actually have "external processor" connections. So Tape in/out isn't needed at all.

Last edited:
Ok, another good option. Connecting the in/outs together and using the defeat switches on each device to enable/disable the processing that particular device provides.
Advantage - ultimate granularity over what processor(s) are enabled or disabled.
Disadvantages - the audio signal is always routed through all of the processors making for a less "pure" audio signal. Some processors may not have a defeat switch.

I have my Spectrum anaylzer (EQ) Expander and Reverb connected through a DBX-400a Program Selector Switch. That way I can select which processor and chose to have it before or after the tape machines Which are also connected the the DBX.

i daisy chain my EQ, Expander, Reverb and connect it to tape monitor2 of my receiver. CD, Laser,VHS,Cassete Tape, Set Topbox, were connected on their respective input jack. I have Pioneer VSX-505s Receiver.

Good thread. I needed this about 18 months ago. Basically your second diagram starting with the eq. is similar to suggested additions in the manual for the SG-90 equalizer when adding a mixer and cassette deck. I have several units including a pre amp attached but follow a linear or lineup starting with the amp and ending back to the amp via tape 1.

Let me outline the set up-all Pioneer:

U-24 connector with 3 tape decks attached (CT-F1250, CT-F1000 and CT-90R) and SA-9800 or A-80 Amp attached (switch out from time to time)
C-21 Pre amp connected to the U-24
U-24 connected to SA-9800 amp via amp Aux-1
SA-9800 connected to SG-90 via tape 1 rec.
SG-90 connected to RG-2 expander via eq. out
Now also SG-90 connected to CA-100 via Tape 1 play and return via Tape2 rec. This allows for mixing. Also I have also added a MA-100 to the CA-100 and connect back to the SG-90.
RG-2 connected to SA-303 reverb. via out.
SR-303 back to SA-9800 via play1

Now this loops allows at any time to add a cassette deck for recording the affects at that point. ie the expander, reverb and mixers have cassette connections so it is best to add the cassette here to minimize decrease in quality due to several connections.

In my opinion you need a powerful amp to push all this. The difference between eq. and no eq. of sound is about two notches up on the amp. For a large room eq. really helps to correct for acoustics. Key I think is amp powerful enough to push all this and good cables such as Monster.

The pre amp is awesome and adds sound. Also. you can connect phono or tuner to pre amp or at the amp. Ex. I run also apple TV, Cable TV, a P-D70 Pioneer CD player, F-90 tuner and phono through the units. Sound is awesome.

My take.

Hunt55

Thanks for the positive feedback.

It's such a common question that I wanted to try to address it "once and for all" but so that others could add their ideas as well.

connect to

I would like to thank you all for your input and since getting out of the hospital i will attempt to try this once i am back on my feet.

Not a problem guy. Any additions to that goog lookin system of yours??

Nothing recently. She is still singing beautifuly (knock on wood) except for a little crackle in the SPEC 1's stereo mode switch. I don't have a lot of time for that kind of stuff until the snow is on the ground (which should be soon). This winter the goal is to deoxit/recap/refirb as much as possible as opposed to adding anything new. It WILL be pain as I'll have to remove each component from the rack to confirm the cap values and then do the work but I'm sure the result will be worth it and it'll keep me busy while the snow is flying.

How about you?

Got both Spec 1's recapped and upgraded the power supply as per EW's recommendations. The 2nd Spec 2 goes under the knife as soon as this backlog of PL700's get converted to the new White Oak driver board, then i'll get around to doing my 2- 700 B's to the new board also.
Check this outhttp://forums.phxaudiotape.com/sutton-s-phased-linear-white-oaked-1000-rigg-t1616.html

Got both Spec 1's recapped and upgraded the power supply as per EW's recommendations. The 2nd Spec 2 goes under the knife as soon as this backlog of PL700's get converted to the new White Oak driver board, then i'll get around to doing my 2- 700 B's to the new board also.
Check this outhttp://forums.phxaudiotape.com/sutton-s-phased-linear-white-oaked-1000-rigg-t1616.html

Cool!!!

I'll start up a thread and I may contact you with a couple of questions once I'm "knee deep" in it. Probably once the Christmas chaos is over...

I know this thread is probably dead, but if you run the RG-1 ,in my case , through the Tape out of my sx-850 to the RG-1 and then back to the tape in on the sx-850 aren't you bypassing the phono stage that way?

If I understand your question correctly, I believe it can best be answered this way: ALL of the 850's input signals appear at the tape out at line level (not affected by the volume control).

you show a amp and preamp being used in your diagram. I have all componets but using a pioneer sa 7500 amp how would you hook that up,been a long time I bought all this new back in 79-81,dt 540 timer, sa 7500 amp,tx 608 tuner,ctf 1250 cassette, dv 250 dvd, sg 9800 eq,sr 303 reverb,rg2 processor, rt 701 reel to reel.also 4 cs-603 speakers..teac- 500 turntable.

Back
Top Bottom