Connecting a Lansing 2.1 subwoofer by hotwiring 9 pin din?

jm55

I have a sound system with Advent Calypso's connected to a Fisher Surround Sound receiver. It's perfectly fine for where I use it, but a friend just gave me a powered Altec Lansing sub woofer VS2621 they picked up for a few dollars. The VS2621 set originally came with two speakers and the sub, and were inexpensive, but the reviews are respectable. For a lark, I'd like to connect the sub to my Fisher, which has a sub out, so I need to know which of the two pins to connect it to. I've been googling, but nothing has jumped out at me. Can anyone indicate which two pins I could connect to?

While waiting for a reply, I thought I might as well take a stab at trying various wiring permutations. I discovered three of the pins were common ground. Then it was just a matter of figuring out which of the remaining 6 was positive. I was careful in checking voltage before trying to connect them to the system. In any event, I found the right pins, and it works! I know it's a computer sub, but it's actually reasonably well constructed, and it sounds surprisingly respectable and gives some much needed low end to the Calypso's. This is a small system I set up just for some hobby recording, on my desk, so levels remain modest.

Back
Top Bottom