Connecting a turntable to home theatre system

84Hammy

About a year and a half ago I bought a 52"Sony Bravia LCD TV (KDL-52V5100) and a Sony DVD Home Theater system (DAV-HDZ485). At the time I just used my old tv stand, which while smallish, did the job. Yesterday I got a proper "credenza" which has a ton of room for components, such as my old turntable and cassette deck. The cassette deck I am not too worried about, but I would love to set up the turntable so that I could play it through this system, either by connecting it to the dvd player or even the tv through a preamp. I also have an early '80s Marantz receiver, which again I am not sure if it is in way compatible. Any suggestions?

Of course, outside of these ideas, the only other thing I can think of is to pick up a higher end home theater receiver...If I do that, does it have to be a Sony to work with the speakers?

What ever you connect it to you'll need to be sure it goes through a phono preamp for two reasons.

1. A non-phono line level input will have insufficient gain, and
2. A non-phono input will not have the correct RIAA equalization curve to make the playback sound right.

The Marantz unit may have a phono input as may some other HT receivers. Alternately you can purchase a separate phono preamp.

The Marantz unit may have a phono input as may some other HT receivers. Alternately you can purchase a separate phono preamp.

The Marantz does have a phono input, but how would I connect it to my system? Could I connect it through the aux out?

Just connect a couple of speakers to the Marantz and enjoy. If you don't have extra speakers, you can probably pick a pair up pretty cheap at a pawn shop.
You won't be able to hook it to the system. You need "Pre-Outs" for that.........

About a year and a half ago I bought a 52"Sony Bravia LCD TV (KDL-52V5100) and a Sony DVD Home Theater system (DAV-HDZ485). At the time I just used my old tv stand, which while smallish, did the job. Yesterday I got a proper "credenza" which has a ton of room for components, such as my old turntable and cassette deck. The cassette deck I am not too worried about, but I would love to set up the turntable so that I could play it through this system, either by connecting it to the dvd player or even the tv through a preamp. I also have an early '80s Marantz receiver, which again I am not sure if it is in way compatible. Any suggestions?

Of course, outside of these ideas, the only other thing I can think of is to pick up a higher end home theater receiver...If I do that, does it have to be a Sony to work with the speakers?
if your sony ht system has a line/aux in, you could run the tt into the marantzs phono input, then from the marantz's tape monitor loop 'record out' into the sonys aux/line input.
should work if those in/outs are present.

The Marantz does have a phono input, but how would I connect it to my system? Could I connect it through the aux out?
Uhhhh, doesn't it seem logical to simply connect the turntable directly to the phono input of the Marantz. :saywhat:

If you really, really wanted to you could connect the Marantz to the lesser Sony system via the "tape out" jacks on the Marantz although this is a textbook case of the tail wagging the dog.

Personally, I'd invest in a small, inexpensive, modern phono preamp.

Last edited:
Get a Phono preamp and connect it to one of your analog inputs on you AVR.

Here's one that has been recommended to me here on AK:

http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm

Scroll down to the "REK-O-KUT LOW NOISE STEREO PHONO / AUX SWITCH"

It's flexible but can be used for JUST a turntable.

You should be able to use your old 2-ch amp with phono in and tape out to your AVR analog in as well to see if you like the sound before you get another piece of equipment.
With that hookup you use your amp (pre-amp section) for the ummm pre-amp. Not as pretty as a dedicated phono pre-amp IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Bob

You mentioned having a cassette deck, albeit one you're not too concerned about. Many of today's HT receivers lack other features we thought were pretty basic during the stereo years besides phono preamps, such as tape monitor loops, tape dubbing and external processor loops for things like equalizers and noise reduction units. If your Marantz has these features, you can use it as a two-channel control unit and then feed its last tape or EPL output to the aux in of the HT unit. You could even hook up a pair of bigger speakers to the Marantz if the Sony HT speakers prove to be inadequate for good music reproduction.

Speakers don't generally care if the brand of the amp is different (except maybe for some powered "system" setups). Your Bravia TV, otoh, may require a Sony amp for some "system" features to work.

Thanks for that link. I met a guy at a party just the other day who is in need of a phono pre... those look very budget friendly.

if your sony ht system has a line/aux in, you could run the tt into the marantzs phono input, then from the marantz's tape monitor loop 'record out' into the sonys aux/line input.

This is how I run mine. I use a Proton receiver through a Dolby BX-4 then into my H/K AV-254R. Sounds great. I also don't have to mess with an extra set of speakers.

Well I got it all set up in a way that is at least serviceable. I bought a preamp for the turntable, which I connect with a y-cord to the lone audio/aux input on the receiver. I also bought another y-cord with which to do the same for my tape deck. Finally I picked up an awesome Monster Clean Power power bar. The sound quality is again not horrible--no hum or static. I think the speakers are decent, but ultimately I will have to replace the receiver (within 5 years) considering it isn't a blu-ray player, but just a regular dvd.

gkimeng: you are right about the features of the tape deck. Mines a Denon 3-head direct-drive. The sound is better than the turntable (a technics SL-BD27--I know, low end). I'm so full of nostalgia I just might put on my Night Ranger cassette tonight and rock out!

Well I got it all set up in a way that is at least serviceable. I bought a preamp for the turntable, which I connect with a y-cord to the lone audio/aux input on the receiver. I also bought another y-cord with which to do the same for my tape deck. Finally I picked up an awesome Monster Clean Power power bar. The sound quality is again not horrible--no hum or static. I think the speakers are decent, but ultimately I will have to replace the receiver (within 5 years) considering it isn't a blu-ray player, but just a regular dvd.

gkimeng: you are right about the features of the tape deck. Mines a Denon 3-head direct-drive. The sound is better than the turntable (a technics SL-BD27--I know, low end). I'm so full of nostalgia I just might put on my Night Ranger cassette tonight and rock out!

not sure what you're doing with 'y-cords' but my experience with them is they're nothing but trouble, ie confusion, mistaken hookups, etc. not a good way to go.

Y-cables for phono = no good sound.

cheers,

Bob

Yeah, the problem is the receiver itself. It only has the one audio input, which I think is really meant for ipods and other mp3 players...like I said, the sound isn't entirely horrible (to my tone-deaf ears, anyway).

Yeah, the problem is the receiver itself. It only has the one audio input, which I think is really meant for ipods and other mp3 players...like I said, the sound isn't entirely horrible (to my tone-deaf ears, anyway).

Your TT preamp should bring the level up to work with the AUX input or whatever you want to plug in there. You shouldn't use a Y cable for inputs, it's ok for outputs. What if you had both inputs "ON" feeding the aux input? Magic smoke probable! :tears: I wouldn't do it.

What is the other aux input device you want to plug into your aux ports? I've got an HK AVR and have tried a lot of equipment. The device I pointed you to in my earlier post has both aux and TT inputs and outputs that would have helped you with your connections and got rid of your Y cable. You should not use the Y cable as an input to your single set of AUX ports or with use with a TT.

Cheers,

Bob

+1
Best way so far.

Back
Top Bottom