connecting EQ between source and amp

tylerdurden

Hi everyone. I was just given an old Fisher stereo graphic equalizer model EQ-868A. I also just picked up a very fine Sony CDP-508esd CD player from GW. I have been using the Sony CDP connected directly to my Newer Onkyo M-282 amplifier because the Sony has a variable out/volume control. It sounds fine but it still lacks any kind of control. So a freind of mine gave me this old Fisher EQ to try out.
My Onkyo 2 chanel amp is just a straight up amp, not an integrated one (here is some basic info)

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=M-282&class=Amplifier&p=i

the Sony CDP has, as I said a variable line out connection, as well as fixed and digital.
The Fisher EQ has (please see pics below) a line in with black wire RCA right and left and a line out with grey wire for right and left.
It also has a "tape" section as you can see with Right and left inputs for "rec" out and "PB" (Iam assuming PB stands for "Play Back")
On the front of the EQ there is a button for "Tape monitor".
My Question is two fold...Can I hook up the EQ between the CDP and amp section, enabling me to dial in the sound a little bit???
And if I can how do I do that ?????

I am a little afraid of this seamingly cheapo 80's EQ getting in the way of the wonderfull sound that I have read that the Sony's ES line offers. But I would like to give it a try. I dont have a pre-amp of any kind. The "Vintage" gear I have listed at the bottom for "my gear" is all long gone (except fot the Pio SX-1010 wich is being restored). I wish I still had at least the 939 ( no actually i wish i had my baby the 1250 back)....

Last edited:
Hi tyler!

With the info you have given & the gear I am not sure if this will work, but here is a diagram that may lend a hand to get you pointed in the right direction for the hookup.

Rome

hookup.gif

CD PLAYER > EQ > AMP should work but it's better to put the EQ BEFORE the volume control. (Not possible with your setup.)

If connected directly to the amp, any noise created by the EQ will be amplified fully regardless of volume setting on the CD player.

Back
Top Bottom