Conrad Jhonson MV100- toss it or fix it

Keep or replace

• Total voters

Ben Kennedy

HI- I would like some opinions from the group. I have a CJ MV100 that is giving me some problems. My dad had recently upgraded and gifted it to me. He used it in his mains system to push his Wilson watt/puppy's and apparently gave him years of reliable service. It was shipped from the west coast to Wisconsin, and when I fired it up for the first time, it caught fire! so, I took it from Madison to a place in Milwaukee to have it repaird. The tec said he figure out the problem, fixed it well and I was on my way, but not after shelling out $350. I took it home, hooked it up (CJ premier 3 preamp) and listened to its great sound for a couple months before it caught fire again!!!

I am wondering what your impressions are of this amp. I am new to the hobby, and my relatively uneducated impressions are that it is a great amp that produces wonderful sound. Compared to my SX 1250, it provides a greater sound stage, is less harsh in the higher frequency's and produces a tighter base response (I am running some old AR 91's and AR3a's). Id love to keep it and use it, but...... it keeps catching on fire.

should I keep it and fix it (unknown $$'s) or start over and find something else, preferably tube.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

I think i've seen the release of magic smoke a time or two.
Only once saw actual flames. Not my gear or my house. I'm not lovin' your tech either.
Only thing that should cause fire would be an overload or a short caused by some kind of catastrophic failure. I've not researched it at all but you'd kind of think if this was a known issue it'd be out there. That being said. Could you take a picture of the charred (burned? ) part/part and tell us ( if you know) what the previous tech said (did) invoice maybe. Also is the proper size fuse installed?

Any more details on what the first technician actually repaired? Or did he write anything detailed on the receipt?

Whether any piece of gear is 'worth repairing' is related to not only the quality and value of the piece but what's likely to be wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom