Consider onsemi all the way if you must...

stereofun

This is the second time I've had this experience, so I just wanted to share. I recently did a major overhaul on a 999. In one side it had original output transistors (2sc898) and the other (2sd427) the gain between the 4 swung from 19-42 and the ft rating are 5mhz vs 7.5mhz

I decided that 4 new and matched onsemi mj21194g's were a better option. The semi's were all around the 60 mark for hfe and are rated at "minimum" 4mhz, which in some real life test I have dug out typically operates at 7-8 mhz.

After the rebuild the amp sounded very good, no question about it. I did however feel it lacked a little resolution - Then I recalled something interesting from an Eight rebuild some years ago. Here I also replaced the outputs with onsemis, but after a while also replaced the original drivers with onsemi mje15033/32's. The amp instantly sounded better, especially resolution at higher freqs.

Ok - so off to the bench. It's a pretty quick procedure...and nothing to loose.

attachment.php

The mica's are readily available for this package. There is nothing to it, other than cut the middle collector leg off and then determine which leg is the emitter/base, then simply insert and bend.

Here all four are done. Onsemi mje15033/32 - gain are 3 times the original and freq are on par at 30mhz

attachment.php

DO SET BIAS immediately after start up! - in this case the bias with the new drivers shot up to 85mA.

After some listening test I have settled on a bias of 50mA, amp runs only lukewarm but sounds noticeable better - more detail and more depth in the soundstage. Normally, I would never deviate from factory setting - but every tranny is replaced in this amp so all bets are off.

For gods sake keep the original output trannies if you have them, but if you dont - something we will see more often - consider going onsemi all the way, even if all the pre-drivers are fine. At the end I believe the amp sounds as good if not better than original and onsemis are very rugged and reliable.

Attachments

• mje15032G.closeup.jpg
    mje15032G.closeup.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 302
  • alldriversin.jpg
    alldriversin.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Hmmmm, every time I think that I have finished modding my 999, someone comes along with another mod.....this seems worth considering to me. I remember upgrading a Quad 303, and after i replaced everything, it still sounded bad - until i replaced the pre-drivers - only then did it sound OK (ie: about half as good as a sansui....). I did look at the pre-drivers in my 999 and wonder if something could be done to improve their rather sad-and-tarnished looking contribution to the 999....great post.

The only thing what I dont like there is what you just bended the legs of those transistors and put at the socket… those sockets are designed for accepting rounded legs, so now the contact is good, but who know would be for year or two…
So, when I using a new production of transistors for replacement some old what I cant find today (but just only if I really cant find today!!) I am doing this:

PICT0173___zpsf698937c.jpg

PICT0173__zps14530a66.jpg

PICT0162_zps076da9ab.jpg

@ Kale - nobody and nothing can compare to your level of restoration :thmbsp:

Your solution is a Mercedes Benz, mine a corolla - but both will get the job done. The legs, albeit not rounded, fits very securely - trying to pull them back out will tell. The thing I really like about your way is the dual connection for the collector, using both screws. I did this earlier on my Eight and it lasted 3-4 years with no issues until I sold it. Thanks for sharing the professional alternative.

@ slimecity - This is not a mod. Only a solution to consider when your unobtanium outputs are missing and have been poorly subbed. Then if you decide to go onsemi consider the drivers too and see for yourself if this package works better together.

The only thing what I dont like there is what you just bended the legs of those transistors and put at the socket… those sockets are designed for accepting rounded legs, so now the contact is good, but who know would be for year or two…
So, when I using a new production of transistors for replacement some old what I cant find today (but just only if I really cant find today!!) I am doing this:

PICT0173___zpsf698937c.jpg

PICT0173__zps14530a66.jpg

PICT0162_zps076da9ab.jpg

I'm following your thread here as I'm contemplating using TO-220's in place of TO-66's... but the photobucket issue has made your photos above inaccessible. Any chance you still have the images and could repost with them? Thanks!

Here all four are done. Onsemi mje15033/32 - gain are 3 times the original and freq are on par at 30mhz

attachment.php

Ah! There were two images in the first post that shows how you did it. Excellent! Great example. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom