Considering a DIY JBL speaker build

it will take some time to ferret it out and condense it down. But, i think you will find that Zilch created a lot of useful data between the Econowave and Z19 threads that will really come home in your project.

Remember, even though the Z19 started as a replacement/upgrade for the Altec 19 network, Zilch provided enough information to make the Z19 fully adaptable to other speaker systems/projects, and various crossover points.

Great, so I will look to use my 2425's, and try to match them with a horn that will bring out the best in them.
If there are any crossover experts that can help design the best one for this please chime in. If I use an econowave one, will it do the best job?

I'd consider bi-amping with a modern digital active crossover that has flexible EQ. A friend up in Chicago uses an EV crossover that let's him adjust damned near everything you'd want to adjust--crossover points and slopes, EQ, time delay-- a most useful device.

I forgot to mention, I have two 4430 crossovers also, maybe I could adapt it to work with a better horn. I know it is a complicated crossover for a two way though.

I'd consider bi-amping with a modern digital active crossover that has flexible EQ. A friend up in Chicago uses an EV crossover that let's him adjust damned near everything you'd want to adjust--crossover points and slopes, EQ, time delay-- a most useful device.

Ok, I'll chew on all this today and see which direction I want to go.

Ok, I'll chew on all this today and see which direction I want to go.

If you bi-amp you can use a big-hog SS amp on the woofers and a nice tube amp on the compression drivers, many hornys find such a system pleasing--I did and had several such systems.

And what about the JBL SAMHF1s? Not sure if those would work but I see them sometimes on eBay.

Auto tech Iwata smushed mid horns mated to RCA 9458 drivers, to give you an idea of the throat size.

Here they are on top of the 30" EV folded bass horns. The Oris 150 on the left would not be good for your JBL drivers.

The painted tractix horn with the plate adaptor that the JBLs bolt right on to..

There is a size difference..

This Yamaha can do all the tricks you want, phasing, eq, and is a stereo four channel xover. The best thing about a on the fly electronic crossover is it is flexible as can be, Steve.

Last edited:
One of my buds runs the large format JBL drivers mated with woofers du jour. From listening to his various combinations, I thought the Edgar horns were a standout. They didn't get in the way of the driver and had a good top end.

I have been reading a lot of articles about the Edgarhorns vs tractix, and find it interesting that the uniform round horns have lately been overtaken by CD, waveguide, and tractix horns over the last decade. Of course, Edgar's passing did not help, but you would think that there would still be an equal amount of market profile on both sides.

Like I said before, I love the 2235H woofer. I'm not very up on all the latest and greatest horn models though. I really just want something that will do a little more than the 4430 horns will, like candy apple lips over black baboon cheeks. :D

Started this project a long time ago but never followed through, looks like I'm getting some EV SM120A horns to pair with the JBL 2235 woofers, and baby cheek tweeters. Hope to finally get this project fully underway, but most likely will need help doing it correctly. I will still need drivers for the horns, and a crossover that can make it all work. Anyone willing to assist is more than welcome, should be tons of fun! :eek: ;)

If you're building a two-way horn system with a 2235, I have experience. First, let me say that I have 4430s and they ended my (sort of) DIY quest. But since they didn't really, and the only improvement (despite some naysayers complaining about the mids, and they're wrong) to the 4430s MIGHT be HF extension, then clone the 4430 LF crossover and mate it with Wayne Parham's 4 Pi HF section. I did that before I had the 4430s and, unbeknownst to me, I had an incredible set of speakers. I had no measurement equipment at the time, but whoa! You will not build any two-way over the top with 2235s, with good reason. They are one of JBLs world-class drivers and JBL did it already. There are FEW upgrades to the 4430 two-way design. The designer himself (Greg Timbers) said the only upgrade was to remove the bi-amp switch as demonstrated here on AK by Zonker.

I would build a cabinet using the exact specs of the B380 subwoofer, then go to Lansing Heritage and read Zilch's Quick and dirty 4430 thread. OR build the cabinets and use the 2235s for subs. I hope you have a BIG room.

I have the 4430s mated to a Dynaco ST 70 made by Hammond and I am DONE...unless I see some 250Tis that I can afford. lol

If you're building a two-way horn system with a 2235, I have experience. First, let me say that I have 4430s and they ended my (sort of) DIY quest. But since they didn't really, and the only improvement (despite some naysayers complaining about the mids, and they're wrong) to the 4430s MIGHT be HF extension, then clone the 4430 LF crossover and mate it with Wayne Parham's 4 Pi HF section. I did that before I had the 4430s and, unbeknownst to me, I had an incredible set of speakers. I had no measurement equipment at the time, but whoa! You will not build any two-way over the top with 2235s, with good reason. They are one of JBLs world-class drivers and JBL did it already. There are FEW upgrades to the 4430 two-way design. The designer himself (Greg Timbers) said the only upgrade was to remove the bi-amp switch as demonstrated here on AK by Zonker.

I would build a cabinet using the exact specs of the B380 subwoofer, then go to Lansing Heritage and read Zilch's Quick and dirty 4430 thread. OR build the cabinets and use the 2235s for subs. I hope you have a BIG room.

I have the 4430s mated to a Dynaco ST 70 made by Hammond and I am DONE...unless I see some 250Tis that I can afford. lol
I'm finishing up a pair of 4435's, currently own 250ti's, and had 4430's in the past. I have these extra 2235 woofers laying around and always wanted to do some sort of DIY build with them.

FWIW -- this is an astonishingly good sounding (and cost-effective) pairing of horn and (JBL) driver.
Thanks to Joe Roberts and a local hifi guru who turned me on to these horns & drivers, respectively.

DSC_7248 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(the phase on the driver in the photo was indeed reversed in the photo -- it has since been rectified)

FWIW -- this is an astonishingly good sounding (and cost-effective) pairing of horn and (JBL) driver.
Thanks to Joe Roberts and a local hifi guru who turned me on to these horns & drivers, respectively.

DSC_7248 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(the phase on the driver in the photo was indeed reversed in the photo -- it has since been rectified)

What phragms do you run in those 2441? I have a friend that swears by the Radians in those large format JBLs. I haven't heard a pair for myself though.

I have an orphan 2235H that I've been looking to find a match for simply because they're so versatile and fun.

Back
Top Bottom