Considering a DIY JBL speaker build

I've had a 2-way 2235H-based system in my sights for years. Finally, I've got a pair of Fostex FW405, which are substantially similar studio woofers, and my mind's kicking into overdrive. Some thoughts:

I'm looking at a gross cabinet volume of about 6 cu. ft, tuned to about 25 Hz via a port that can be plugged with a drain plug ("ZilchPlug").

I really like the elegance of using a single amp, no processor, and passive crossover components. But you aren't likely to craft a world-beating pair of speakers using crossovers that aren't optimized for your system. And it's tough to hit a home run self-designing your very first time out of the gate using Passive Crossover Designer (or one of its derivatives). For me, it makes sense to use an electronic crossover, because endless fiddling with passive components is expensive. Using a MiniDSP or DBX DriveRack Venu360 and adding another amp seems more realistic (not to mention the further advantages of room correction).

Because I'm going to be seated no farther than 8 ft. away, and because I'm not looking for performance that depends on sitting still in the sweet spot, I'm going to get the most joy out of a something other than Tractrix, Le'Cleac'h, or vintage exponential horn. And I'm looking for something that will hold pattern down to at least 1 kHz. Honestly, the SEOS-15 is a strong contender. I also like that I'm able to mount it flat on a baffle, which isn't a concern for RS Steve's project.

Compression drivers are going to depend a lot on horn used, but I'd like to stick with 1" for budget reasons. Hard to argue with the flat response to 1 kHz and beyond that you get from a horn with reasonably constant directivity and the B&C DE250 or BMS 4550, especially for the paltry price ($210 and $300 per pair, respectively). On the other hand, the sound is basically like "dome-tweeter on steroids". You'll get accuracy at the expense of that horny romance. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

I will be using sm120a EV horns from a sentry III, 2235h woofers and jbl baby cheeks. Need to figure cabinet size, and crossover points.

Back
Top Bottom