Considering a Shunyata Hydra conditioner - pros and cons?

audiodon

Addicted Member
So, in my reference system, I've had three power conditioners and I'm back to plugging directly into the wall, albeit into some PS Audio AC receptacles I'd recently bought.

First power conditioner was a Monster 5100. Blew up. Got a factory replacement. Then that started resetting also. I plugged directly into the wall and tested that 5100 for a year. Finally, I sold it off for pennies and the new owner is happy, so it must be my fluky AC power. I've seen it sag as low as 107 and surge as high as 127VAC here.

So, I bought a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200 from an AKer about a year ago. I never put it in. Looks well built. Three big heavy toroids inside and it looks solidly built and weighs a ton. Good reviews too, though they're ten years old. Therefore I thought I'd finally found something worthwhile.

Every Tripplite isolation transformer I've been exposed to hummed and had to be in another room connected to the audio system by a big extension cord, entirely defeating its purpose. The same with most power conditioners. I've tried a few, including an APC one that was fairly well regarded.

That blue circle is quiet at idle and sounds like an electric train transformer as soon as you put a load on it. Arrgh! It's supposed to balance the load or something.

I'd seen this before on an MIT unit with three transformers inside. That one hummed upon draw also.

There's a part of me that just doesn't want to pop for a Shunyata, but I'm running out of ideas.

Music Direct had a sale on a Hydra 4. Anybody got any experience with Shunyata products?

Even though we have new service to the house and 200 amp service at that, I'm going to have to take this to the next level and I'm soliciting ideas.

As always, keep the spirit of The Cutting Edge in mind when answering.

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty cutting edge. I suppose if you have that kind of current fluctuation you probably can justify the expense. Is there any way you can demo one before laying down that much coin?

The Shunyatta stuff is great, but I have been using a PI Audio Uberbuss, and it is absolutely sublime. It is passive in nature, so no choking of the dynamics, and also has Power Factor Correction.

This makes the output impedance extremely low. It is the only conditioner that I have used that does nothing wrong, and is a virtual black hole for noise.

Also I recommend you check out Running Springs PC's - Elgar and Haley are their 6 outlet versions.

The main difference I noticed when I pulled the Blue Circle unit out was how noticeable the return of life and pacing (PRaT, ugh, I know - right?) was so instantaneous.
I just sat and listened for a couple of hours.

No, I'd prefer not to justify the expense. I'm mulling over getting a Shunyata Defender simply as a spike suppressor (we've lost stuff three times in 15 years) but would like to research alternatives before popping for anything big.

I'll give that Pi Audio uberbuss a look-see.

Please keep the ideas and experience coming.

Here's my question, if it sounds much better plugged into the wall why don't you leave it that way? Just curious. I know it's risky but I run my system naked with no surge suppression.

The main difference I noticed when I pulled the Blue Circle unit out was how noticeable the return of life and pacing (PRaT, ugh, I know - right?) was so instantaneous.
I just sat and listened for a couple of hours.

No, I'd prefer not to justify the expense. I'm mulling over getting a Shunyata Defender simply as a spike suppressor (we've lost stuff three times in 15 years) but would like to research alternatives before popping for anything big.

I'll give that Pi Audio uberbuss a look-see.

Please keep the ideas and experience coming.

I had a Shunyata Hydra 4 briefly and experienced the same thing on the PRaT and liveliness. I played around with several iterations of where it was plugged in, what was plugged into it, etc. I thought it was going to help with some digital noise I was getting from various sources, but not really.

I replaced it with a Monster surge suppression unit with isolated digital banks. I'm thinking about tossing it too. It seems like my system sounds much better when I just plug everything into the inexpensive Tripplite surge suppressor.

I'm learning to trust my ears more and more.

I've had a conversation with Dave from PI Audio.
When the time is right, this might be a GO!

RMAF 2013 best reproduced sound winner was using Uberbuss's. It really is a well thought out and executed piece of equipment, that I truly believe to be a major part of that system. It took my system to new heights.

I have a dedicated 20A outlet and a whole house surge protector. The outlet is on a switch and there's spiffy old GE 4" line voltage meter on the outlet(s).
My system sounds very satisfactory. It is interesting viewing the voltage and seeing the range of variance (~110-125V) and curiously amusing to see what happens when the Krell breaks a sweat on loudly played/peaky stuff (good deal of needle bounce). Some day I'll stick my Fluke into min/max-record mode and quantify the drops, but I'm pretty unmotivated. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
(months ago I mentioned this somewhere and said I was going to pull the cover off the breaker-panel and check for a loose/resistive lug-maybe next year!)

I have had the chance to demo a few power conditioners at my house.They were hooked up for about 10 min. each.The first thing I noticed was it took away my soundstage and 3-D effect.My equipment sounded much better just hooked into the wall outlet.Of course this is just my opinion.

Not everybody needs them also.. Some are blessed with clean power. I am not. Some will also say that it is the equipment's job to filter the power. Reality is, based on my experience, that most stuff does not filter sufficiently in order for no improvement to be made from a quality conditioner.

I will agree that some conditioners do take, some give and take, and some do nothing wrong no matter the situation. The Uberbuss is such a device that falls in the latter category, and is backed with a money back return policy if it is not for you. Can't lose...

It simply works for me and works very good.

Last edited:
I have had the chance to demo a few power conditioners at my house.They were hooked up for about 10 min. each.The first thing I noticed was it took away my soundstage and 3-D effect.My equipment sounded much better just hooked into the wall outlet.Of course this is just my opinion.
It would be most helpful if you named the brands and models of power conditioner you demo'd.

Glen B I just joined this forum and I dont know if Im allowed to name names that had a negative effect on my system.I really like reading the posts and would hate to get kicked out for saying something I shouldnt.

Today I stopped by the local guitar shop and talked to the owner about power conditioners.I dont play any instrument but its a cool place to hang out and talk to the musicians.He sells a lot of power conditioners for pa systems because most of the clubs and bars have very dirty power,even the lighting puts out a lot of feedback through the electrical system.So today he told me to take home his wideband powerline analyzer or as he calls it a power sniffer.I thought he said the numbers on this were in DBMV what ever that means. But he said it was a way to measure noise in the power.I have a dedicated breaker for my stereo with 3 outlets.2 of the outlets are just the plain ones that you can buy at any home improvement center for a couple bucks.The third one is a Hubbell 5362 outlet.I put the unit on the the cheap outlets and the noise numbers were 189.7.The hubbell outlet noise number was 20.1 Hope my little experiment was useful to someone.

The story with a lot of power conditioners and surge suppressors is that they steal the life from the music.
For lots of folks, the solution is to plug everything but the amp or amps into the protector.

I'm looking for something that removes noise from the line but doesn't steal the life. I think the solution that manymoonsaudio has recommended may accomplish that, where none others as of yet have for me. The conversation with the maker of the Uberbuss convinced me. Now I'll wait until the holidays pass.
The trick is to reduce the noise level but maintain the speed and immediacy of the music.

Last edited:
My whole system breathed much more life after the Uberbuss... Even my amps love the thing.

I have also been through the wringer with different forms of conditioning as well as isolation. Isolation transformers are pretty good and better than most conditioners, but the one I tried robbed some dynamics from the system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom