Considering buing a NEW CD Player

ecandle

There's hope for you yet Russell
Subscriber
Currently I listen to all my Digital content driect from my FLAC data base hard drive Lineiage : PC - Turtlebeach SPDIF/Toslink USB converter - Tecnics D to A converter ( designed for surround sound but has a 2 CH analog output - amp...
I want to buy a CD player , used, for around $500 or less , any suggestions ? thanks guys:music:

I've been considering getting a Rega Planet 2000. You can find them around or below $500 bucks IIRC. I haven't had a chance to listen to one yet, though.

You could look for a used Marantz too...

currently there are 2 SA8260's on audiogon, those are pretty good cd/sacd players you know :)

Crazy thought. Maybe get a decent transport and a nicer d/a converter that you could use for both your computer and the CD player?

Evan

I am like you looking for a cd player in approximately the same range. The Cambridge Audio 640 V2 you can get for 499 some places. The Version 2 comes with dual wolfson dacs and looks pretty nice to me. I saw it for sale on that auction site for 499 new. I am gonna probably pick one up after Christmas although I have been thinking about spending extra for a used Jolida 100a or a Rega Apollo.

I have been thinking about spending extra for a used Jolida 100a or a Rega Apollo.

I went the extra for the Apollo, VERY glad I did. Improved my system in every way, great detail while still very musical and listenable for long periods. Considering the hours put on it buy the previous owner, its basically new. Only downfall is no warranty. But...I love my Apollo. :thmbsp:

Do some research, find out what laser is used in the players you are considering. Ask the manufacturer if you have to. If it doesn't use a Sony pickup, you could have a $500 boat anchor when the laser goes belly up in 5 years and you can't buy a replacement. The Sony lasers that are used in mass produced players as well as high end players, such as KSS210, will still be available because there are so many of them in use, and they are cheap, around $20. If the player uses a Phillips laser, stay away, you have to replace the entire CDM unit, and they are expensive, and will likely be discontinued by the time you need one. The cheaper Phillips players do have lasers that can be replaced, but they are, well, cheap. Panasonic lasers are pretty much available but more expensive.

Do some research, find out what laser is used in the players you are considering. Ask the manufacturer if you have to. If it doesn't use a Sony pickup, you could have a $500 boat anchor when the laser goes belly up in 5 years and you can't buy a replacement. The Sony lasers that are used in mass produced players as well as high end players, such as KSS210, will still be available because there are so many of them in use, and they are cheap, around $20. If the player uses a Phillips laser, stay away, you have to replace the entire CDM unit, and they are expensive, and will likely be discontinued by the time you need one. The cheaper Phillips players do have lasers that can be replaced, but they are, well, cheap. Panasonic lasers are pretty much available but more expensive.
Who uses the Sony lasers? Does Denon use Sony?

in case you are interested in SACD, a used denon dvd player with sacd may be a good choice. now that blue ray and HD dvd are in the market, allot of people are selling off their old dvd players to upgrade

in case you are interested in SACD, a used denon dvd player with sacd may be a good choice. now that blue ray and HD dvd are in the market, allot of people are selling off their old dvd players to upgrade
Yep, I'm pulling the trigger on a Denon DVD-2900 today.

Crazy thought. Maybe get a decent transport and a nicer d/a converter that you could use for both your computer and the CD player?

Evan

yes that's the direction I'm headed , the ready access to my tunes with the PC is so darn good you know ?:scratch2:

thanks

Back
Top Bottom