Considering buying a AX-900 with 'defective' input selector

ultrasparc

Hi AK'ers

I have my sight set on a AX-900, but I hesitate since seller has it put up with 'defective source/input selector'. He will dig it out in a couple of, and do some more testing/diagnostics, so as to be able to describe in more detail.

Does anyone know if this could be difficult to cure, or is it likely to be a matter of a suitable application of chemicals (deoxit, or the like)

From what I've read it should be a really nice amp, but if it's not reparable it makes no sense buying it.

He has put it up for ca. 115 $, but is open for bids - it has been on sale since summer (2016).

Should I get it?

What would you offer?

regards
Ole

Ole

Might get lucky with a good deoxiting or might require a replacement switch.

Ole

Might get lucky with a good deoxiting or might require a replacement switch.
Yes, if I can get a real good price I'll take me chances.

Would you know if replacement switches are easy to find ?

Looking at the SM it appears to be individual-per-input-push switches - not a turning knob
AX-900-SM-input.jpg

Parts unit..Wait and find out what the exact issue is.Those input select switches may very well be cleanable.

They get stickie and don´t work properly. A flush with alcohol may fix it right up.

mhjmhjones recently had a similar problem with his A-1020...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....diagnose-and-or-restore-my-a10-20-amp.749783/

I've had several AX-700's, nice amps. If it has a single input selector knob it's not an AX-900. Do you have photos from the seller?

Cheers,
James
Hi James

It doesn't - it's a line of push buttons - and it's definately an AX-900 - 2 of the photos from the add here.

AX-900-back.jpg

AX-900-front.jpg

To me it looks very similar to the A-1020 in your thread - was that very hard to get behind the front cover(s) and into the switches?

It look pretty clean on the outside, so hopefully it's well taken car of unit - we'll see ;)

Cheers
Ole

Well, I got the AX-900 thursday (3 days ago), and today (sunday) I peeled off what was necessary to get to the pots. Particularly the Bass pot caused some channel fall-out and noise, but a dose of contact cleaner did the job, and now it plays real good. Only thing is that it seems there is a little imbalance, so that the left channel has slightly higher volume when the balance knob is centered, I'm not gonna worry about it, though.
It has a lot of power, and a very clear and crisp open high, but the bass may not be as full and fat as I would have hoped and expected, but it's still OK.

That said I'm really satisfied with it, and for 65 $ I can't really complain :trebon::thumbsup:

Hi Ole, Sorry, I missed that you had posted the question about opening the amp and getting to the potis. But it looks like you have figured it out. :thumbsup:

65$ (or € for that matter) for an AX-900 is a great price, you did well.

Cheers,
James

Hi Ole, Sorry, I missed that you had posted the question about opening the amp and getting to the potis. But it looks like you have figured it out. :thumbsup:
No problem, it was real easy - particularly after I had a Pioneer A-676 taken to pieces - there are many similarities to their build style
65$ (or € for that matter) for an AX-900 is a great price, you did well.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Well, I got the AX-900 thursday (3 days ago), and today (sunday) I peeled off what was necessary to get to the pots. Particularly the Bass pot caused some channel fall-out and noise, but a dose of contact cleaner did the job, and now it plays real good. Only thing is that it seems there is a little imbalance, so that the left channel has slightly higher volume when the balance knob is centered, I'm not gonna worry about it, though.
It has a lot of power, and a very clear and crisp open high, but the bass may not be as full and fat as I would have hoped and expected, but it's still OK.

That said I'm really satisfied with it, and for 65 $ I can't really complain :trebon::thumbsup:
Nice rare silver faced unit. If your sound level is higher on the left side and the pot is clean, you might want to check out your idling current levels and make sure they are correct. You can download a free service manual at Hi-Fi Engine. Here is a direct link: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/ax-900.shtml BTW, my bass control had the same problem. Enjoy the amp!

Back
Top Bottom