1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Considering upgrading my headphones, help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by geddy402, May 24, 2018.

1. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

musichal likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. keilau

keilau AK Member

I had the original HiFiman HE400 (no I or L) which had a push-pull balanced driver like the higher end models. The HE400i is a single ended design which I expect to be lighter. Because of its weight, the HiFiman headband uses tighter clamping pressure than the Sennheiser HD-598. If the tighter clamping pressure does not bother you, the HE400i sound is more open and transparent with a raising treble.

The Sennheiser HD-598 is one of the best value phone. At under $100 at time at Amazon, it is hard to beat. I have both the Sennheiser HD-598 and Sennheiser HD-600. I like both, but prefer the HD-600.

musichal likes this.
  3. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got a pair of these coming to me early next month (damn if Massdrop doesn't require patience) and am seriously considering buying the Monoprice Monolith 1060s after borrowing a friend's pair for a week or so recently. I've already got AKG Q701s though and rarely use them, preferring speakers for most things... So probably best to hold off.

I'd take the Reddit guy with a grain of salt -- he has admittedly little to no experience with higher end gear, but makes regular reference to the sound signature of LCD-2s, etc. They're also being driven directly from a laptop soundcard. The review makes no sense. He's also comparing the 1060 to the HE400i, which is a single ended design (as mentioned above) vs the 1060 and original HE400's double sided design.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    musichal and cratz2 like this.
  4. keilau

keilau AK Member

What is your current main listening phone for reference before you get the HiFiman HE4XX? How do you feel about the clamping pressure and comfort level of the Monoprice Monolith 1060? I am interested in trying out the Monoprice Monolith 1060 too. But I worry about its resale value if I do not like it.

5. Silentnet

Silentnet AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got Audio Technica M50s, Martin Logan Mikros 90s, and the AKG Q701s. Much prefer the AKGs, really only use the ATs when I need closed back, and the Mikros sound nice but I really don't like on-ears.

Clamping force on the Monoliths was greater than I'd like but not skull-crushing. I'd probably try to stretch them somewhat if I end up with a pair.

6. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Makes a huge difference to you, is what you mean. I find the 400i very comfortable for hours at a time. Which of us is right? Both. Feel heavy to you, feel light to me. However, the Senns are also very good 'phones. Rather have either than the Monoprice, as I am biased against the brand due to various products I tried that I didn't like, and must add that I've never heard them, so I mean strictly bias. Doubt I ever will hear them, since I already have my planar magnetics. Now, I do want a pair of Sennheiser one-adeezdays.

I will say that very light headphones seem to get snatched from my head more easily than a snug circumaural design.

7. keilau

keilau AK Member

Yes, the choice of headphone is very personal, including the comfort evaluation. If you find the 400i very comfortable for hours at a time, all power to you. You may also want to try the original HiFiman HE400 (no I or L) which had a push-pull balanced driver like the higher end models, or the HE560. It sounds better to me than the HE400i single end design. Again, the opinion is straightly personal and subjective.

musichal likes this.
  8. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I might not want to try. I don't use headphones enough to justify the sets I have now. However, I might wish we'd had this discussion before I bought. :D

olderroust likes this.
  9. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Whatever you choose, make sure the headphones are comfortable. If you can’t wear them for an extended period of time, it doesn’t matter how they sound.

reydelaplaya and musichal like this.
  10. runnin'

runnin' Super Member

Looks like the Nads don't have too many owners around here. They are designed by a renowned sound guy and I bought them several months ago. I wasn't crazy about them at first and have never been a big headphone guy so left them lying around. They seemed overly warm and lacking in highs, but went plenty loud with the easy impedance load.

Fast forward several months when I bought a Schiit headphone amp on a whim( on sale b stock Magni 3) and after reading up on some owner comments of the HP50, plugged it into the Schiit and ran it for several hours over a few days to break it in. Long story short, the Nads opened up and developed a somewhat jaw dropping soundstage. The highs showed up without harshness, and sometimes the soundstage is so good with the phones I just have to smile. They run just fine with your smart phone too.

These days I'm taking public transit to work(got tired of fighting traffic with too many accidents/delays). A train and a bus to work gives me lots of headphone time and I have to smile at the earbud wearing crowd.

musichal likes this.
  11. geddy402

geddy402 Active Member

Great comments, thanks for sharing!

I had a similar experience with my NADs. Seemed like they took a while to open up, or maybe just my ears adjusting to them. Really like what I’m hearing these days with them on.