eddietres

So I've got an old mid century Curtis Mathes console stereo that I scored on craigslist. I was originally going to just clean it up and use it as is but now I'm curious as to whether I could retrofit it with some vintage solid state gear I have laying around. I'd like to mount a Pioneer SA 9500 II with matching TX 9500 II tuner in place of the old gear. Also going to stick my Project Debut turntable in it. The amp and tuner will have to be mounted vertically as was the original equipment. My question is are there any issues with doing this? Will I run into any problems in the long run? I really value these pieces so I dont want to run the risk of damaging them. Also I will not be using external speakers and not the speakers built into the cabinet. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I don’t foresee any problems with vertically mounting your amp or tuner. But if you aren’t using external or internal speakers, what exactly is your plan?

Whats the unit look like for layout? Some things are more favorable than others for re-stuffing with modern gear. I prefer "front load" consoles since you end up with basically flat shelves to work with rather than having to hang things from the front or support them on the bottom in a top load setup.

Whtever you do, make sure there is enough room between the components for cooling.

The original CM is likely not more than about a dozen watts, so I'd be very careful trying to run those original speakers.

I've seen it done & they look very nice.
I was thing of doing the same if I run across one for free.

Why not do both? Just wire in outputs to speakers and mount the added unit(s) on top just need a speaker switch box.

Back
Top Bottom